Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received this in an email today. "The One" Condo, being built in Toronto, (which will become the countries tallest 85 stories) is using the correct cars in their presentation displays :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210316-123837 (002).png
    Screenshot_20210316-123837 (002).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Anyone remember when Cathie Wood’s new TSLA price target is supposed to be announced? I think it is this Friday. Obviously timelines can change but I think a short-term call options play anticipating a SP rise after the announcement is a good risk:reward. Last time she announced a new price target, the SP went up like 20% (not all of that rise was due to her price target but likely some of it was).

Anyone remember when Cathie Wood’s new TSLA price target is supposed to be announced? I think it is this Friday. Obviously timelines can change but I think a short-term call options play anticipating a SP rise after the announcement is a good risk:reward. Last time she announced a new price target, the SP went up like 20% (not all of that rise was due to her price target but likely some of it was).

Poor Cathie. Everyone is like:

1615915432256.jpeg

How many presidents are there within Tesla?

Seems something is in the wind related to titles.

Could this have something to do with X Corp? Perhaps the beginning of a title structure that will one day be a business group structure?
That’s just someone peeing into the wind and making stuff up in hopes nobody will notice that they’re peeing into the wind. Utter bs.

Jerome's should also get another title - like Highway Star ;)

View attachment 644968
I was going to add thoughts, but I think Pierre has this spot on. Once upon a time, as I got to know Jerome, he's laser focused on customers and delivering a super solid customer experience via the actual product. He has immense passion and there is no way this is anything but what Jerome wants or he'd leave.

Quick story: Sitting in the room when it was decided about how to deal with the announcement of the dual motor S (back in the day) had some very interesting conversations about customer experience that Jerome lost on.

I cannot wait until the Semi launches to see how his face and demeanor beams with the reality of the immense accomplishment of his team.

This price action is frustrating, with the Qs up a percent and TSLA down 2.

BUT...looking at the bigger picture on the hourly below, we're still right in the middle of the bull flag that's been forming. Conservatively, it's got a 150 point amplitude, implying a move to 800+ if it breaks to the upside.

Consolidation after that +20% day is good. As long as we stay above 680 I'm not worried. Hopefully it breaks above 720 soon, but trying to predict the length of sideways trading in TSLA is a crapshoot. All in all, looking pretty healthy to me (which all but guarantees an immediate 50 point drop).

View attachment 644961

Idk man, the stock really needed to get above 720 to break the long term downtrend since late Jan and the longer it stays below 720, the more likely it resorts back to the long term downtrend. Q1 numbers obviously will dictate the direction from there. I’m fully expecting the return of the pre quarterly P/D sell off to induce fear/panic a la Q1 and Q2 of 2020. Since it’s obvious the stock isn’t going to be above 700 by eod Friday, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a push lower next week so that if Q1 numbers are good, the rally is from the low 600’s instead of low 700’s. At that point, even if the stock rallied, it would still be in a downtrend.

Overall, not feeling that confident that we’ve seen the last of the low 600’s/high 500’s

• Informative
Reactions: friit
At least one analyst with the correct read of the situation

View attachment 644975

VW reducing battery cost by 50% by 2030 is NOT a correct comparison to Tesla reducing their cost by 56% by 2023.
It is fairly well known that Tesla's 2020 cell cost is significantly lower than VW's 2020 cell cost, I do not know the exact percentage, but I have seen estimates as far as 50%, which would mean Tesla is already at the price point in 2020 what VW is targeting by 2030. Furthermore, Tesla is reducing the price of the SAME fundamental battery chemistry by 56%, while VW is switching to a cheaper LiFePO chemistry, which alone is responsible for more than half the cost saving, so it is a bit of a cheating to say they "reduce" the cost, when in reality they are switching to a different cheaper product.

Reactions: AZRI11

“Supporting zero-emissions vehicle uptake via mechanisms to make new fossil-fuelled cars pay for the damage they cause is entirely reasonable and logical,” Tesla wrote in a submission in July last year. “The result can be a revenue-neutral system for the government.”

A rather interesting tidbit:

“Research by InfluenceMap, a lobbying monitor, found that carmakers “opposing higher climate ambition” have met the UK government more often than those that generally supported a faster transition. Between 2017 and 2020 the government met those opposed 209 times, compared with 153 for more supportive companies.”
Squeaky wheel you know.

1615916917219.png

It's with Gordon Johnson for peer review

Probably the real reason for the dip today. Tesla in the eyes of Wallstreet still has a credibility problem even though vw has been the one failing on execution like Mission E (on range and price). But it's one of those things where they are too caught up in Elon Musk's technoking title or his sons weird name to give their road map any credibility.
No, Wall Street would throw shade on a company like Tesla that was disrupting oil, gas, auto and energy whether their CEO was playful like Elon Musk or a perfect corporate automon. Don't blame it on the eccentric naming of his son or the fanciful corporate titles, the credibility problem Wall Street exhibits was present long before those things existed and is due to the threat Musk poses to existing financial interests.

The dip today is obviously not attributable to any one thing and the market has known Elon is playful and eccentric for a long time now - today's market reaction is the sum of investor sentiment. Just like it is every day. Nothing has changed in that regard.

I find it informative on days like today to see whether TSLA is moving with the micro-macro of green energy/solar/EVs. It's difficult to quantify this sector in any one number. You can use an ETF like ACES which comprises TSLA and both solar and non-solar energy companies, or just look at a handful of solar and EV stocks that tend to move with TSLA more often than they don't.

Today, for example, TSLA is in lock-step with the sector, and the sector is decoupled from QQQ as it often is. I find lately TSLA moves in lock-step with this sector rather than with QQQ. Daily charts across it today are identical.

I found this CNBC article indicative of sneaky, subtle bias (Or just incompetence?). Only bother following the link if necessary.

Article title:
“GM and Ford take cues from Tesla's success, but try to avoid Musk's mistakes”

Down in the article, after showing the interior of the competition, is a picture of the MS with this caption “A view of the dashboard in a new Tesla Model S car at a Tesla showroom on November 5, 2013 in Palo Alto, California.

A “new” Tesla? Ironically, that 8 year old photo still looks better than the competition!