Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

cliffski

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Re: VW and charge networks etc. I think its very easy for all us EV-geeks to forget just how clueless the average car buyer who isn't into EVs or tesla really is. (I talk to such people regularly). The #1 best amazing marketing thing did tesla did long ago was to slap a great big ILLUMINATED sign on the top of all its charging posts with TESLA written on it.
Can you charge a nissan leaf at an ionity? what about a renault zoe at a chargepoint? what about a porsche at an ecotricity? who knows! who cares! But everyone assumes, quite rightly that when they buy a tesla, they can charge it at those big shiny tesla charge-points they have been seeing pop up for YEARS now...

When a car company talks about a 'partnership' or even a 'strategic partnership' with a charging network, they *just dont' get it*. Tesla have set the standard, and people will expect to have a Volkswagen charge network for their Volkswagen car. But thats not going to happen.

UkNorthampton

TSLA - 12+ startups in 1
Jun 15, 2019
Northampton, England
The problem is that they can't show a profit without those fees because most charging is done at home. So they rely on apartment dwellers (which is temporary because apartments and condos will sooner than later be forced to put in charging if they want tenants) and low selling short range BEVs that have difficulty running in town without a charge stop. Typically their charging stations are in the wrong place for trips, although it's somewhat better now (as range increases, there will be less need). It's hard to imagine a worse place to invest in (as far as EVs go) than a for-profit charging network (that isn't run by a car manufacturer).

Free charging, energy arbitrage through batteries + coffee & cake shop/burgers/small retail etc

Reactions: Mike Ambler

Unpilot

Sell order in at $5999.99
Dec 2, 2017
A Coast
If you have FSD, the current AP stops at every light regardless of colour. It's why I don't use it on surface streets--just too annoying. FSD Beta fixes that. So there's plenty of room for confusion AP, AP+FSD, FSD Beta.
I have found that if it is behind a car it will continue through a green light. If not a quick flip of AP stalk or touch on gas pedal and it will go through green light as well. I use it all the time on city street's...love it.

Lycanthrope

S3XY old dude
Nov 15, 2013
At home
Ah, you had written, 'So far that is a pretty effective "severe cash" fud story line', which completely threw me...

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
In the middle
I have found that if it is behind a car it will continue through a green light. If not a quick flip of AP stalk or touch on gas pedal and it will go through green light as well. I use it all the time on city street's...love it.
Yup. It will go if it has a lead car. Elon pointed that out early on. To me that says that the car knows it’s a green light but they forced caution.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
In the middle
I feel that he's trying to make something out of nothing. I get the impression that he uses his twitter audience to support his position - just guessing. Moving Jerome to a growing business is probably good use of talent.
Also, why do I get the feeling that Elon isn’t a “ill demote you manager” and instead is a “you are just fired manager”.

Hock1

Jan 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Here's the kicker:

TSLA down as much as 9% the day after battery day

VW up as much as 29% after power day

With headlines like this on my yahoo Tesla feed lol:

View attachment 644909
How many presidents are there within Tesla?

Seems something is in the wind related to titles.

Could this have something to do with X Corp? Perhaps the beginning of a title structure that will one day be a business group structure?
Something like Thermoelectron (about 30 years ago). Several public companies within one management structure. For example, Tesla- Semi: Tesla Energy storage and generation (including the charging network); Tesla automotive (Current models and others to come, plus Cybertruck; Tesla Financial (leasing company, insurance). There are many possible combinations, but if these companies existed as public companies right now, the aggregate enterprise value (and MC) would equal quite a bit more than the current EV and MC, IMO. Interesting concept.

lascavarian

Jul 27, 2017
usa
and it would appear to me that Tesla wants to make trucking into a $75B business now that the auto business is relatively mature

Thinking out loud a bit... Could trucking buy into StarLink (a portion) and have an AI supply chain delivery service. This would be low scale initially but grow.

This would bring a portion of StarLink to Tesla investors, use AI, FSD, start the Tesla Network in the supply chain first, vertically integrate a disruptive supply chain business and probably more...

TheTalkingMule

Distributed Energy Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I feel that he's trying to make something out of nothing. I get the impression that he uses his twitter audience to support his position - just guessing.
Then why are we posting this guy's nonsense? A word leaves his mouth and 9 posters are scrambling to link to it all over TMC. We need a more focused effort on letting obvious click-baiters fade into the background.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC