Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know a lot of people send this out these days and sure, we should be happy about it, but at the same time we have to mention, that the Netherlands are super weak:

View attachment 647792
I'm not sure but I think something is going on in the Netherlands. Every company has really weak numbers this Q1. I'm guessing it's some tax or incentive timing that is the reason. Maybe someone from The Netherlands can clarify.

Elektrische Auto Kentekenregistraties

“As we make substantial further progress toward our goals, we’ll gradually roll back the amount of Treasurys and mortgage-backed securities we’ve bought,” Powell told NPR’s “Morning Edition.” “We will very gradually over time and with great transparency, when the economy has all but fully recovered, we will be pulling back the support that we provided during emergency times.”
How is this at all surprising to anyone? And people still believe markets are rational when a reasonable comment like this causes a sell-off?

EDIT: at the time of this edit, Powell's innocuous comment has brought TSLA down ~5% off it's premarket highs.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I think something is going on in the Netherlands. Every company has really weak numbers this Q1. I'm guessing it's some tax or incentive timing that is the reason. Maybe someone from The Netherlands can clarify.

Elektrische Auto Kentekenregistraties
I think you’re right. Someone from Holland mentioned exactly this in one of the UK forum threads back in December as I recall.

As ever, who cares as long as the grand total is where it needs to be?

• Informative
Reactions: Mike Ambler
Bottle available internationally Carafe
After making millions from the stock (ok, not quite) I can't believe the first time I'm actually spending anything on a Tesla product it's for an empty bottle.

Edit: So disappointed I didn't get a hedgehog though. Even got a model 3 model as well. A cars a car right?

Last edited:
So disappointed I didn't get a hedgehog though.

Just for you:

4yn181sqi7m21.png

I know a lot of people send this out these days and sure, we should be happy about it, but at the same time we have to mention, that the Netherlands are super weak:

View attachment 647792
In the Netherlands incentives become less great every time we cross Jan 1. So there is a great rush to buy Teslas in December. My reading of the chart is that Tesla has downprioritized the Dutch market in Q1. Perhaps Tesla found another country more worthwhile. We should know soon.

>> any thoughts on if this happens what it would do to Tesla sales?

It would increase them.

1. Non-teslas will still charge much slower - their owners will get 'first hand' comparison what waiting 15 more minutes means in practice
2. I suspect there will be additional charge for nonteslas - energy will cost the same, but they will also need to pay for occupying the slot - slower charging == longer charging == effectively higher cost of kWh.
(yesterday I was thinking aloud what Tesla would do, and do they did ;) )

Tesla uses the small profits to create even more Super Charger Stations.
.. Each station will use even more Tesla Products (charger, power wall, roofs) and will help set up future micro-grid, auto-bidder nodes. (+ve loop)

When EV infrastructure bill comes out, Tesla will out compete the test.

Some hate Teslas, and might not even want to use the Tesla Supercharger network to charge their car(other brand EV)
VW, Diess might now do a charger day soon :)

(+ 3plus years and I haven't been to a SC :) ... home Solar Charged )

(+Tesla acquires more valuable Real Estate (like MacDonalds), and each station also serves as free Advertisement)

Last edited:
How is this at all surprising to anyone? And people still believe markets are rational when a reasonable comment like this causes a sell-off?

EDIT: at the time of this edit, Powell's innocuous comment has brought TSLA down ~5% off it's premarket highs.
In a bear market, everyone is looking for an excuse to sell. Opposite during a bull run. The market is mostly about sentiment.

I think #3 incentivises sales. Bitcoin holders all believe it will increase in value over time. So why not pull the trigger when it drops, buy it now! Might even be a form of hedge to even out demand spikes when things don't look so rosey. Maybe a stretch, but... I like it. Progressive posturing for the future. Its the brand.

I may/perhaps likely be dull witted but could you explain what trigger is being pulled and what is dropping?

It seems the Tesla Bitcoin purchase program almost guarantees Tesla sells their product via Bitcoin mostly at the worst valuation for Tesla stockholders. “Buy low“ is a better program.

Again, the analogy of accepting Tesla stock for products reveals the incentives IMO.

It will be interesting to see how Zach determines margins on Bitcoin transactions. Will he break them out or try to hide them or use a currency hedging program? Lots to learn. I do note that Zach’s new title raises another silly question, why the avoidance of “Bitcoin“ in his title? Using “coin” implies a departure to a a future (non-Bitcoin) “coin” to come IMO.

• Love
Reactions: UncaNed
Shaping up to be another blood bath for TSLA, AAPL and anything ARK. I can't even watch (but I refuse to capitulate).

Sector wide. Patience is key.
Twiddle thumb and collect Theta from CC :) (+ collecting pennies in front of train are for times like these :) )

Waiting for turnaround and adding to index funds in small amounts daily.

Last edited:
I just finished reading the book. Highly recommended.
Can't wait to see the movie.
@neverdone
also read it. nice book, except he left out the "grasshopper" 1.5 minute test, up 744+ meters, then land with a sideways drift to land on liftoff spot

Last edited:
Good point.
As I understand it Douma is being a classic academic here, using a very hard definition of proof and rigor re. FSD. He modifies that by saying that Tesla will most likely solve FSD and recent events are a strong indicator that they are moving fast in the right direction.

AFAIK the hard variant of level 5 self driving, the upmost level, is that the car can handle whatever comes as good or better than expert drivers - come hell or high water.
But when you get down to the details that is maybe not as clear as all that. We know that given sufficiently difficult situations, even very good human drivers give up. But how do they correctly decide that? So, would an FSD/self driven car with the ability to give up in extreme conditions still constitute FSD driving? Perhaps.
The criteria for giving up is a big grey area: If sufficiently weak effort is accepted, then most self-driving could, in the limit, be said to be self-driving: The may 'choose' to give up 50% up the time. That definition is obviously ridiculous.

It is not as obvious when you get closer to 100%. Is 95 OK? Is 99% good enough? Well, giving up one trip per 100 is much better than getting into an accident for sure.
You could argue that 99% is not true self driving: If you use, nominally speaking, self-driving car to transport your underage kids 4 times per day, then off course avoiding accidents is key. But, you would probably be annoyed if once a month or more, at an unpredictable time and place, they get stuck in an unmoving car which has given up.
The central control could solve that. And maybe that is exactly what will happen. But costly. And comes with its own set of legal problems. (When accidents occur are the bad sensors to blame, or the remote operator/driver, or the networking team, or ..?)

Re. Waymo: You could argue that Waymo have solved a subset of self driving which depends on hi-definition maps. Acc. to Douma, lidar is great at location but does nothing for moving object/people so they have to depend on vision here. How good is WAYMOs vision? I don't know.
Re. scale-out, both having and maintaining hi-def maps and having lidar equipment on the cars and having human intervention in control centers are 3 negative scaling factor you may not have if you vision-only software is sufficiently good. Yes, they can scale that, but slowly and expensively.

Re. remote drivers.
If centralized 'remote drivers' are an short-term to intermediate solution until the 'march of nines' is completed or in case the last 1-0.00.1 percent of FSD is really, really, really difficult and will take 20 years to solve then that is in itself raise interesting perspectives for StarLink v Tesla collab.
Note that Elon time and time again has stressed that the StarLink latency/delay should be very low - perhaps lower than all other known communication solutions.
Now, how big a latency would you like a remote driver to have when driving around your underage children, handicapped spouse, old grandmother or good friends? What is low enough except the lowest delay possible limited by only by physics?

Interesting how Elons puzzle pieces come together over time/decades...
Totally agree about the puzzle pieces. I believe that in order to both (1) initially get through enough of the March of Nines and (2) initially overcome public skepticism and resistance to computer-only driving in neighborhoods, Tesla’s FSD robotaxi service will launch with a centralized remote human driver control.

But in order to make that work, Tesla needs control over communication to the car, with great reliability and low latency. Starlink is a key component of making this all come to fruition. It’s not only the right tech for the task, but Musk completely controls it.

A few years after launch, Tesla should be able to drop the remote center, improving profitability.

Totally agree about the puzzle pieces. I believe that in order to both (1) initially get through enough of the March of Nines and (2) initially overcome public skepticism and resistance to computer-only driving in neighborhoods, Tesla’s FSD robotaxi service will launch with a centralized remote human driver control.

But in order to make that work, Tesla needs control over communication to the car, with great reliability and low latency. Starlink is a key component of making this all come to fruition. It’s not only the right tech for the task, but Musk completely controls it.

A few years after launch, Tesla should be able to drop the remote center, improving profitability.

I rated this one funny, since Elon multiple times have said there wont be starlink in cars, as the disc is the size of a pizza.

However, I do recognize the possibility they may come up with a smaler disc for less data specialized on FSD compressed data.. but then, why not use 4/5G? ... or maybe there are large areas with no cell coverage, which need to be handled for this kinda supported FSD? Then it makes kinda sense.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger