Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opening SC network to other manufacturers is pretty good to grab market share in the charging market (boo to EA). With the condition that the other manufacturers be able to charge at reasonable rates, it could mean that Tesla becomes their battery supplier as well. SC network grows behind this new revenue stream. Das good.
It's also one step closer to the possibility of Tesla licensing out their software in some manner.

I'd also want to see the math.... right now Tesla already has the costs ahead of them to build a nationwide megacharger network for semis--- plus tons of those "Cybertruck friendly" superchargers they promised a while back... add costs of building enough added regular chargers to handle other brands vehicles and again even if long term it's a great idea it's gonna be a hit to the books on the front end (barring something in the infrastructure plan I suppose)
Seems like Tesla would make another maker pay some kind of license/access fee though. Wall Street loves that sort of reoccurring revenue.

That would be awesome. In Europe, no adapter needed, due to the CCS cable.
I would expect a price higher than for Tesla owners, but lower than Ionity (or other competitors). It’s like free money. To paraphrase a former US president: “We’re going to expand our superchargers, and let the VW owners pay for it!”.
I think you need the adapter regardless as this would include the identification of the car and the protocol negotiation, etc. - how else are you going to do the billing?

(yesterday I was thinking aloud what Tesla would do, and do they did ;) )

Tesla uses the small profits to create even more Super Charger Stations.
.. Each station will use even more Tesla Products (charger, power wall, roofs) and will help set up future micro-grid, auto-bidder nodes. (+ve loop)

When EV infrastructure bill comes out, Tesla will out compete the test.

Some hate Teslas, and might not even want to use the Tesla Supercharger network to charge their car(other brand EV)
VW, Diess might now do a charger day soon :)

(+ 3plus years and I haven't been to a SC :) ... home Solar Charged )

(+Tesla acquires more valuable Real Estate (like MacDonalds), and each station also serves as free Advertisement)

+ opening SC to competition, might lead to making all energy products available for the Home User as well. (Custom home Charger, Powerwall, Solar Panel, Solar Roof).
So the EV is the Trojan Horse for Tesla Energy ;)

I think you need the adapter regardless as this would include the identification of the car and the protocol negotiation, etc. - how else are you going to do the billing?
The same as every other charging network: You open your app and tell it to start a charging session at location x on stall y. The protocol negotiation would be standard CCS, so nothing needed there.

Last edited:
It's also one step closer to the possibility of Tesla licensing out their software in some manner.

Seems like Tesla would make another maker pay some kind of license/access fee though. Wall Street loves that sort of reoccurring revenue.
Haven't they tried that since the start? Only nobody wants to pay? At least not the price Tesla want. Gotta think this is a way to get in on subsidies when the US EV charge systems are built out.

Better believe there won't be a mediasite in the US that won't use a headline along 'Tesla losing it's main advantage. No reason to buy Tesla anymore'. So whatever the advantage to Tesla it must be worth more than more negative press.

Haven't they tried that since the start? Only nobody wants to pay? At least not the price Tesla want. Gotta think this is a way to get in on subsidies when the US EV charge systems are built out.

Better believe there won't be a mediasite in the US that won't use a headline along 'Tesla losing it's main advantage. No reason to buy Tesla anymore'. So whatever the advantage to Tesla it must be worth more than more negative press.

In my opinion, there might have been a few factors at play there. TSLA was not as financially stable years ago and they didn't have as large of a lead in battery technology as they do now. Conceptually, they could sell batteries (with the new technology) to other manufacturers cheaper than they can purchase batteries (with old technology). That's why ramping up battery manufacturing and input sourcing is their most important growth driver.

Reactions: cjkosh
Tesla really needs an expanded Supercharger network for the Cybertruck, at places truck owners would visit often. Home Depot would be the logical place!

How far in the future is it that I can send my Cybertruck to do a curbside pickup there?

Covid massively accelerated the retail and food industry side of autonomous vehicles.

Short interest increased a little from the period 02/26/2021 (share price $675) to 03/15/2021 (share price $707).
The short amount also increased a little in this period.
  • Public float increased from 769.330.000 to 771.690.000
  • Shares shorted from 44.000.000,00 to 44.730.000,00
  • Float shorted from 5,72% to 5,80%
  • Amount shorted from $29.700.000.000,00 to $31.624.110.000,00
I have not much to add to these numbers except that I bought the Decanter!

1616685238061.png

I know you all may disagree like crazy but if this means a Rivian will be able to use the Supercharger network I am canceling my Cybertruck and ordering a Rivian. Rivian should have signed up with Tesla's Supercharger network right out of the gate. It is the only thing keeping me from buying one while I wait for the Cybertrucks to get all the early vehicle kinks worked out.

I agree w you there. I may have to get the r1s for the wife and me a cybertruck. I do like the ocean interior of the rivian.
The total addressable market is too large for tesla to take all.

I know you all may disagree like crazy but if this means a Rivian will be able to use the Supercharger network I am canceling my Cybertruck and ordering a Rivian. Rivian should have signed up with Tesla's Supercharger network right out of the gate. It is the only thing keeping me from buying one while I wait for the Cybertrucks to get all the early vehicle kinks worked out.
Because you don’t think the Rivian truck won’t have kinks?! Please.

Tesla really needs an expanded Supercharger network for the Cybertruck, at places truck owners would visit often. Home Depot would be the logical place!
Most people only use Superchargers during road trips or long commutes with shorter range vehicles. I can't imagine a lot of HD needs while driving across states.

Car identification is part of the CCS standard. If I’m not mistaken, FastNed already uses this. So after your first charge (which links your car to your credit card), they can start charging as soon as you plug in.

The same as every other charging network: You open your app and tell it to start a charging session at location x on stall y. The protocol negotiation would be standard CCS, so nothing needed there.

Tesla may eventually enable this. but I believe that it's more likely Tesla will initiate sales of an adaptor that you will be able to link a credit card to, or directly to a tesla account. I believe that Elon may feel that having to open a phone on your app and then specify a charging station/location is below the 'Tesla Standard of Excellence', especially when compared to just plug in your car and start charging.

Exchanging Perspectives Webcast:

Opening Remarks

Cathie on 2021:
- Do not believe 0.5/1/2% interest rates were ever discounted by the market (believes market priced in normalized 3-5% rates long term)
- How far will interest rates go up?
- Oil price last year was unusual with rebound.
- Might see 3-4% in some measures (ie. CPI) due to base effects
- Good deflation from innovation (40% cost decline for every cumulative doubling in DNA sequencing; 28% cost decline for every cumulative doubling for industrial robots) being sustained far beyond cyclicals
- Bad deflation from companies over time catering to short term gains by leveraging up to buy back equity and not spending to keep up on innovation. Expects those companies to lower price to clear out stock
- Thinks inflation will revert
- High valuation stocks hit hard in this market: ARK's view believes longer run, these growth stocks will be treated well. Currently rotation into cyclicals and value (good thing - happened at 2016 after Trump election; value stocks took off which was a good launching pad for next leg of performance in 2017)
- Once cyclical burst has been incorporated, growth will take over

Kevin O'Leary:
- Changed family trust from 50/50 (equities/fixed inc) to 70/30
- Market buoyed by fiscal spending
- Fund distributes 6% (basically preserve capital)
- Sectors permanently damaged by COVID behavioral changes (airlines for one as video conference takes over)
- Wants to own companies that have pricing power in inflationary times (ie. quality, profitability, sustainability) until they figure out where market is going
- Thinks inflation will be sustained
- Fixed income does not become competition for equities until 10Y has a 3 handle

Jan van Eck:
- Paradigm change in environment of financial market (central bank supporting market + fiscal spending)
- GDP growth exp 6-9% in US this year (not seen since 50's)
- Drives 10Y up
- Risk in 2H 2021 that int rate goes higher causing turbulence in the financial market

My thoughts: Cathie appears to be the only one of the three with strong conviction on her strategy laying out what they are going to do, rather than simply a vague inflation play.

Last edited:
Most people only use Superchargers during road trips or long commutes with shorter range vehicles. I can't imagine a lot of HD needs while driving across states.

This misunderstands how CTs will be used for work purposes.

They will be providing on-site power at the job site.

Being able to top off the battery while loading stuff up would be a definite plus.

The other big issue with CT as I mentioned earlier- most supercharger spots are garbage (or simply impossible) for charging something that big/wide- and doubly so for something pulling a trailer right now.

They're supposedly going to be adding CT specific charging spots going forward but I haven't seen a ton of news since they mentioned they planned to do so.

Yeah, but ick. Clunky. Unnecessary steps. Code the adapter and never do that stuff again.