Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if something similar could be in the works for gas stations. If the U.S. government were to be involved, could there be a program/contract to rapidly buyout gas stations and expedite charger build outs at those locations? The hang-up in quick roll-outs of SC locations has typically been the utility work involved, not the arrival of the Tesla-manufactured materials. I don't know if there's a way to speed that up.
Not sure how attractive this option would be. Decommissioned gas stations require a great deal of environmental remediation before they are used for anything else. It's just one more giant problem caused by the fossil fuel industrial complex. Multiply by the number of gas stations in this country and that's a whole lot of buried tanks.

My suspicion, WH reached out to Tesla as they are the only company that can build chargers at scale with solar and battery back up. Government may be extending a huge contract to them to get this done in the next three years and puting the end to the "but electricity comes from coal!" debate. So think bigger, this is bigger. Changing the entire infrastructure.

With 10s of thousands of these micro energy generating stations up and running, Tesla can use autobidder and act as battery back up as well for the grid.
36DA6250-D95B-407C-87D9-7D0D19838E29_4_5005_c.jpeg

Renewable-Energy Backers Want 10-Year Tax Credits in Biden Plan​

Possible:
- 3T recovery package
- 10Y extension on tax incentives for solar
- Decarbonization of electric grid by 2035
- Carbon neutrality by 2050
- Include stand-alone storage projects with tax incentives

I can't imagine anyone other than Tesla should be chosen to build out a national charging network. Step 1 is to allow all other EVs to charge at SCs, and step 2 is to massively accelerate buildout with government help/money.

This would be an amazing and forward-looking choice for the US gov't. I am still expecting them to select GM or Electrify America for such a task, making it dead in the water before it even starts. Pete knows what's up though.
You have to be fair, but just like the nasa contract given to all the players, seems like only one that matters is spaceX. Same will happen with Tesla since Elons team has a supercharger printing machine and a decade worth of expertise.

This from the company who lets you honk, unlock doors, summon the car, climate control etc... and is pushing service exclusively to an APP. Nope, I’m going with it’ll be a Tesla APP that they download and use.

Exactly. And of course it helps that the person who leaked the information literally mentioned that the customer would use a Tesla app to start and pay for the charging.

I can't imagine anyone other than Tesla should be chosen to build out a national charging network. Step 1 is to allow all other EVs to charge at SCs, and step 2 is to massively accelerate buildout with government help/money.

This would be an amazing and forward-looking choice for the US gov't. I am still expecting them to select GM or Electrify America for such a task, making it dead in the water before it even starts. Pete knows what's up though.

Rivian claims they are

Ya my post was confusing, even for me today... Then yours confused me more. Why is now "the worst valuation for Tesla stockholders?

As a stockholder, and granted that there can be a trading range for Bitcoin, Tesla will tend to sell product via Bitcoin when Bitcoin is at the top of that trading range ie meaning the buyer using fewer Bitcoin resources and Tesla receiving fewer Bitcoin. A way to mitigate this might be to value Bitcoin at a 6 month average valuation. Another question for Zach I guess.

I see the value in demonstrating utility. I also see that as each utility appears, the value may rise thereby making the smart thing may be to wait a little longer and realize greater appreciation, more of a FOMO trap of sorts.

• Informative
Reactions: AimStellar
There’s no way that this would happen without an RFP and open competition. Government would be sued in a heartbeat by EA et al.
Well, it could still be interesting. There WILL be incentive to show tangible progress by 2024, so a lengthy proposal, evaluation, award, protest process may not be the way they want to proceed. The RFP could read something like "increase the number of fast charging locations available to all US EVs by 3,000 by 2024". Tesla could, in theory, propose producing enough adapters to open up all 1000 US SCs very quickly combined with doubling its US SC production rate. No one else could touch that from a cost perspective.

edit: what @woodisgood and @Singuy said

Last edited:

Rivian claims they are
:rolleyes:

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I hope they're ultimately successful, but they are many, many years behind. Build and deliver some cars first. Just because you've got Bezos/Amazon backing you doesn't mean you're suddenly Tesla.

EDIT2: If Tesla's network goes public, I expect Rivian to abandon their plans other than possibly keeping the "adventure" chargers close to locations of interest. The whole point of the proprietary national network is to sell the vehicles. If charging is readily available, they don't need to promise such a thing to their customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krugerrand
Tesla building out charging infrastructure in US with some government support / money involved may be good news for the mission and some extra revenue stream, but think of the media / analyst FUD: Tesla being bailed out by government subsidies yet again...
Do we really need that ?
Nobody will be able to make Gordo shut up about it for the next 3 years. :rolleyes:

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
In my area, I've seen Tesla snatch up two very large car dealerships that presumably went out of business and turn them into delivery hubs/service centers.

I wonder if something similar could be in the works for gas stations. If the U.S. government were to be involved, could there be a program/contract to rapidly buyout gas stations and expedite charger build outs at those locations? The hang-up in quick roll-outs of SC locations has typically been the utility work involved, not the arrival of the Tesla-manufactured materials. I don't know if there's a way to speed that up.
It would be awesome if gas stations were converted to charging stations. A big problem with charging stations today is you can't pull through and charge with a trailer attached, or a bike rack full of bikes on the back, or canoes/kayaks on top of the car unless you unload something/everything.

It sucks to have to remove four bikes (or a trailer) just to charge when traveling. Even worse when it's raining/snowing.

Reactions: bpjod and tschmidty