Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fremont Flyover from yesterday. No Model S or X to be seen in the delivery lot...

Enjoy

There were a few Xs that I saw, including these two. Interesting to note that they have the chrome accents / handles. One looks like it's missing a spoiler? Either way, I'm going to eat crow and assume there are zero refresh deliveries this quarter, and it looks like my expectations of 170K deliveries are unlikely.

1616782319304.png

This is kinda what I was calling out at the beginning of this week/end of last week......that as we got closer to the week of Q1 P/D numbers, there would a fear "sell off" right before the number came out. I figured it would have been on Mon or Tues of next week but I guess they're getting an early start at it. Maybe worried about any further leaks coming out over the weekend that could cause a rally.

In the past, they would routinely push down the stock the week of or the week before quarterly P/D to limit the upside of a rally off of the numbers.

Lots of discussion today about Tesla possibly opening their Supercharging stations to other EVs. Some have reminded us of late last year some EVs from other makers were charging at Superchargers in Europe. I haven't seen anyone else point this out here, but there is now a precedent of Tesla building Superchargers with Chademo and CCS in Canada too in order to obtain government funding.

In the Western Canada Supercharger thread @Xelloss99 has brought to our attention that Tesla is constructing 14 Supercharger locations in Western Canada with $5M in Federal funding. The stipulation is that no more than 75% of the chargers at each location can be proprietary and the other chargers "must be a direct current fast charger (DCFC) rated for a minimum of 50 kW power output with at least one (1) charge connector that is CHAdeMO compliant and one (1) charge connector that is SAECombo (CCS) compliant or be a proprietary connector type". The smallest (most) of these looks to be 6 Tesla connectors, one CHAdeMO and one CCS for a total of 8 DCFC chargers. Some have 11 and one has 16 chargers.

Link to the Fed's Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative web page detailing eligibility criteria.
Link to the Fed's Successful Applicants – Phase 2 web page where Tesla and the other successful applicants' details are listed.

IMO this is evidence that Tesla is willing to play the game of allowing others to use their Superchargers in order to obtain federal monies to build out their charging network. Why say no to free money that would just help your competitors. Telsa has proven, more than anyone else, that they have the desire and expertise to build out and maintain a nation-wide charging network. This will curry favour with the government (Tesla makes them look good by helping them fulfill their promises).

Lots of speculation that Tesla might make an adapter for other charging ports, but I like the idea of 25% of the charging cables being CHAdeMO/CCS and the rest being proprietary. This way slower charging non-Teslas won't be tying up the Tesla chargers. Really, I think this is the best solution I've read this morning.

Hmm, looks like maybe we've hit the bottom of today's MMD? Time to deposit my paycheque and buy some more chairs... (not an advice, yada yada)
But how do they pay? Does Tesla have to kludge together a CCS type payment interface just for those chargers, or do they have Tesla accounts?

But how do they pay? Does Tesla have to kludge together a CCS type payment interface just for those chargers, or do they have Tesla accounts?
If it's like the case of Canada, it only requires 25% of charging ports to be non-proprietary.

Thus, Tesla can basically be subsidized to build out their SC network with near 0 impact to Tesla owners. Think like the government is subsidizing so that they can piggyback on Tesla's expansion. Some of the fixed costs (such as location, electrical works, some heavy electrical equipment) can be shared with Tesla instead of building one independently.

Reactions: cdswm3
My view on the concept of charger network sharing is that such news would be bullish as a confirmation of their battery dominance and hint that the future value of those new Tesla app accounts is more valuable than the charging network. ;)

If it's like the case of Canada, it only requires 25% of charging ports to be non-proprietary.

Thus, Tesla can basically be subsidized to build out their SC network with near 0 impact to Tesla owners. Think like the government is subsidizing so that they can piggyback on Tesla's expansion. Some of the fixed costs (such as location, electrical works, some heavy electrical equipment) can be shared with Tesla instead of building one independently.
I still don’t understand. Does Tesla build the non-proprietary charging stations? If so, how do non-Tesla cars pay?

I suspect they’ll require the Tesla app and an account. NFC with phone/app if CHAdeMO or CCS cabling like in Canada. Hard encoded and seamless like a Tesla car if they make/sell an adapter. Then use the app to market to them while charging and during the end-of-quarter pushes. 😁

Reactions: FireMedic
ARK seems to be the target for shorties. Look at LendingClub (LC) that Cathie just bought. It suddenly fell 25% in matter of minutes. Other Cathie stocks are also being targeted. We may be under ARK targeted bear attack. Who knows.
Some of the Ark's holdings are too big for their good IMO. They hold so much of those small companies that they become major shareholders. And if the liquidity of certain particular stocks are low (volume), it doesn't take a whole lot to be manipulating SP like that.

The benefit of ARK though is that they don't need to sell unless their expectation of the company changes. Thus, any ups and downs are just short term shocks and might create buying opportunities for ARK.

I suspect they’ll require the Tesla app and an account. NFC with phone/app if CHAdeMO or CCS cabling like in Canada. Hard encoded and seamless like a Tesla car if they make/sell an adapter. Then use the app to market to them while charging and during the end-of-quarter pushes. 😁
It's not terribly hard to add a credit card billing system to any station. And Tesla can opt something like BC Hydro is doing that you create an account, and you can get a fob mailed to you and use that fob to authenticate or use an app. Either way... no solution would be as clean as having a Tesla account attached to the car... but there are certainly a lot of options and shouldn't take Tesla engineers too long to implement one.