Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crossing 10M shares in volume at 10:21 this morning seems like an avg to moderately above avg pace so far, but I have to think a TON of that is MM's robotrading and naked shorting to put a cap on SP rise. Feeling pretty good about a $699 close tomorrow.

Where we headed today? Feels like maybe $673ish.

While I don't share your enthusiasm for a $699 close tomorrow ;) ......................if that did happen, I'd have some decisions to make about those 710 April 9th Calls. Take the already great gains or play for the home run on Monday with a good Q1 P/D report. Decisions decisions

Reactions: JustMe
Per-Market looks good....I might be able to take my mule 700's off life support.

You and I are partners from here on out. Your job is to reply to any "must but weeklies!!" posts I make with two sentiments:

1) "Calm down. Wait a week and I assure you it'll get worse."
2) "Have you done the math on the cash this will take?"

Together we will be unstoppable.

While I don't share your enthusiasm for a $699 close tomorrow ;) ......................if that did happen, I'd have some decisions to make about those 710 April 9th Calls. Take the already great gains or play for the home run on Monday with a good Q1 P/D report. Decisions decisions
Pushing TSLA down $100 in the low volume doldrums is fairly easy......but it does require some MM naked shorting, and all good shorting must eventually unwind. My assumption is they're 3/4 unwound, you wanna try to unwind the last 1/4 in this environment?

All we need is neutral to positive internal news for a couple weeks.

Reactions: FireMedic
You and I are partners from here on out. Your job is to reply to any "must but weeklies!!" posts I make with two sentiments:

1) "Calm down. Wait a week and I assure you it'll get worse."
2) "Have you done the math on the cash this will take?"

Together we will be unstoppable.
I'd like to help...but this latest rd ...well let's just say I broke my addiction.

Now I just HODL!

This is the last day for Window Dressing, i.e. the tendency of money managers to load up on the quarter’s winning stocks and prune away losers, to make it appear to have been smart all quarter in the end of quarter snapshot of their holdings.

Tesla as a quarterly loser might have been a candidate for some selling. Most of that was likely done in previous days. The Biden infrastructure speech coming after the market close would probably preclude any more such sales today.

With the new quarter many money managers will be loading up next week on this old quarter’s losers that appear poised for recovery. Think Tesla. :cool:

Last edited:
I had some 650 calls for tomorrow that I bought at the close yesterday and sold for a nice gain a bit ago. With the 35% pullback I’ve had to temper my weekly plays, but that seemed like easy money.

With some of those gains I made my YOLO play for next week on 680/730 call spreads at $12.50, so they’d be a 4-bagger if we end up above 730. That won’t make me rich, but it’d raise some cash for taxes.

We don’t need to talk about the weeklies for the last two months, though. 😬

Pushing TSLA down $100 in the low volume doldrums is fairly easy......but it does require some MM naked shorting, and all good shorting must eventually unwind. My assumption is they're 3/4 unwound, you wanna try to unwind the last 1/4 in this environment?

All we need is neutral to positive internal news for a couple weeks.
Feels like Tesla has been very tight lately with internal news and leaks.

Tesla to become adviser on nickel project in bid to secure key metal.

"Tesla has agreed to buy nickel from a mine in New Caledonia in a move to secure its supply of the battery metal, which its chief executive Elon Musk has called the group’s “biggest concern.” The electric-car maker will become a technical adviser at the Goro mine on the Pacific island and also get long-term supplies of nickel from the project as part of an agreement with the New Caledonian government, according to a person directly familiar with the matter."
UPDATE 1-Vale completes sale of New Caledonia nickel operation

Reuters and Yahoo are reporting that this sale of a Nickel mine in New Caledonia has gone through today. The deal includes Tesla as a "technical and industrial partner" with the mine restarting Nickel mining operations in mid April.

Fascinating that despite good news and good progress that TSLA is pushed down over the past 2 months from its high to a point where it is testing the 1-year trendline at the very end of the quarter.......just as funds are Window Dressing and are loading up for Q2.............and that TSLA and other similar Tech stocks and funds (ARK, etc) that followed a similarly coincidental trading pattern are bouncing off their 1-year trendlines on the very day that the President is scheduled to give his infrastructure (and EV) speech.................which 'coincidentally' is scheduled to happen 20 minutes after the market closes on the last day of Q1 2021.

Many of us here had been expecting this speech to have already happened earlier this year. IIRC Gary Black had even tweeted it was just around the corner several times throughout Q1. Funny how the White House calendar always seems to align so well with the Wall Street calendar no matter which side of the aisle is doing the scheduling

I had some 650 calls for tomorrow that I bought at the close yesterday and sold for a nice gain a bit ago. With the 35% pullback I’ve had to temper my weekly plays, but that seemed like easy money.

With some of those gains I made my YOLO play for next week on 680/730 call spreads at $12.50, so they’d be a 4-bagger if we end up above 730. That won’t make me rich, but it’d raise some cash for taxes.

We don’t need to talk about the weeklies for the last two months, though. 😬
Just making sure you are aware of Pledged Asset Line? Would prevent you needing to YOLO for cash to pay tax.

Politicians around the world : we love EVs
Consumers : we love EVs (well, we love Tesla)
Savvy investors : Buy EV stocks
Market : whoa, interest rates are up a whopping 0.5%. Sell value and EV stocks!!
Biden : We love EVs even more
Market : wait, why didn't anyone tell us that politicians and consumers love EVs
Consumers: we love EVs (we love Tesla)
Market: we love EVs but TSLA is a car company not an EV
SiliconValley: we love funding anything with AI and self driving in the mission
Market: Tesla is a car company not an AI based self driving software and hardware platform
Utility companies: we love battery backup because peaker plants' parts and maintenance are high cost and we love saving money
Market: Tesla energy is too cheap as a service to save money for consumers, businesses, and utilities. Because they are low cost and save money Tesla energy must, de facto, be worthless

TL;DR - Team Tesla suffered a few minor injuries which caused some short term problems, but the team will soon be at full strength and the star players well rested

While Wall Street expects Tesla to report 174,000 deliveries, Munster says the firm expects around 160,000. He explains this by some of the factors that the company faced in Q1 2021:
  • Chinese New Year. China is an important Tesla market, so a temporary decline in production there can have some impact.
  • Lack of microchips. This affected the overall ability of Tesla, like other automakers, to produce the target number of vehicles.
  • Expectations of customers in the US to receive higher incentives from the government to buy EVs, which can be changed according to the new Biden plan. This could be the reason that some customers wanted to postpone buying a Tesla car.
  • Model S deliveries are delayed, which will affect the final delivery results for the quarter.
  • A small fire at Giga Press also slightly delayed the speed of production.
Munster also pointed out that these are only short-term headwinds that will not have a significant impact on the number of deliveries in Q1 2021. At the same time, some of them will become long-term tailwinds for Tesla. First of all, this concerns incentives to buy Tesla cars in the United States. Their increase will inevitably lead to higher demand. Another factor is the updated Model S and X; although at the moment Tesla is still adjusting the manufacturing process, in the end, the updated models are receiving increased attention, which leads to increased demand.

Last edited: