Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So all you guys having been in TSLA for the last 5-10 years, what are some things you’ve done with your gains?
Have you cashed some out and bought homes, cars, islands, etc? Or still HODL on all shares you’ve accumulated?
1617556884127.jpeg

So all you guys having been in TSLA for the last 5-10 years, what are some things you’ve done with your gains?
Have you cashed some out and bought homes, cars, islands, etc? Or still HODL on all shares you’ve accumulated?
HODLing, meanwhile installing an air to air heatpump tomorrow to consume less natural gas. Uneconomical, I know, but couldn't bear the thought of installing a dumb AC

So yes, short term price movements do matter, quite a lot, when accumulating

When people say the exact price you pay doesn't matter, it's always said in the context of getting them vs. not getting them at all (because you thought they were too expensive). You can always gamble and hope for lower prices to try to maximize your returns but it's good to understand that you might be missing out on a lot of profit if those lower prices don't materialize. That's what people actually mean when they say the price doesn't matter.

Because, obviously, the price does matter. Unfortunately, we have zero control over whether we will be able to buy for less in the future..

I started loading up on shares in 2013 but at that point my 401k was still 5 figures (not even a chance of supporting me in retirement).

I haven't sold a single share but I've gained piece of mind and don't worry about my retirement like I used to. I no longer expect to have to work until I'm 90 (or whatever age I'd be when I'm too feeble to work). I fully expect to have the freedom to clock out in my 50s if I want or keep working in my 60s while taking minimum required distributions (which would mean a really big annual salary compared to my current salary).

So far I haven't splurged on a AWD Tesla or two and haven't switched houses or picked up any other high ticket items.

We do have a service center opening up a couple of miles from my house and 2021 tax credit coupled with the convenient location might tempt me to pull the trigger on a new car this year.

Yahoo lists the closing price on Aug 11 2020 as $274.88 ($1,374.4 pre-split).

The NASDAQ Official Closing Price (NOCP) on 08/31/2020 was $498.32 (post-split).

That's $2,491.6 pre-split. Display on page 9 currently in the 1-year table from this link:

The split happened at about $1,500 but that’s not where it was when announced. I can’t actually recall where the SP was when they announced the split - I think it was around $1000. I’ve no idea if Elon would want to split it again so soon later this year when it breaches $1000. And since splitting has zero relevance to a change in SP 🙄, I’m totally for it. 😉

Yes, that seems likely. But keep adding to your position as you can. There’s still time.
The split was announced on 8/11 and price was $1370 ($274 split adjusted)
The Friday before the split went into effect (8/28), the price was 2213 ($442.68 split adjusted)

I have been adding TSLA whenever there is a good opportunity. Latest addition happened last week around 600. My TSLA shares are not for sale. Total share count is higher than ever.

My earlier post got chopped in half and mixed with another. So happy for easy to use technology.

All post split figures which required all toes and fingers plus a calculator to determine. Majority of my chairs are under $7. Most expensive demand chairs are about $185. And I’ve purchased a few other times a mix of demand chairs and the SP is too low chairs in the low $40s, low to mid $50s and in the $60s.

In conclusion, I killed it.

My earlier post got chopped in half and mixed with another. So happy for easy to use technology.

All post split figures which required all toes and fingers plus a calculator to determine. Majority of my chairs are under $7. Most expensive demand chairs are about $185. And I’ve purchased a few other times a mix of demand chairs and the SP is too low chairs in the low $40s, low to mid $50s and in the $60s.

In conclusion, I killed it.
I would say the expression on your avatar captures the situation.

Ok I watched it, I had watched it once before but really delved in more this evening. Yes they have some pretty smart people as part of the team, and it is exciting to see them try to get engineers working on the issue (this is sorely needed), but the real value at this point is that Elon is the only person actually capable of inspiring people to take it seriously.

I am someone who likes this research and subject, but I respectfully think they don’t have a serious group of researchers yet. My hope is that they will one day. There are some fantastic neuroscience researchers at the University of Texas. we need a Karpathy equivalent but in neuroscience and medicine and the problem is that person is going to be a weird mix of of a neurotologist and an academic. I love the idea and the mission of neuralink but they need to be building a wing of a major university and incredibly strong at basic research. I think the reason I care about neuralink being the weakest of Elon’s projects is because it’s the most important, and I don’t want it to be written off by real scientists that understand the challenge. I’m very thankful they are trying but want it not to suck or die an early death. Or worse, that it be associated with something like Theranos where engineers are tasked with solving a basic science question.
True, Neuralink is focused for the moment on building the connecting technology.

Delve into the work of Stephen Grossberg for one of the important missing links you are looking for:

There are a number of folks, ahem, who studied with him and got their PhD’s at the Cognitive and Neural Systems Department (since split into other departments) at Boston University.

The challenges, though, for such folks are two-fold.

First as you suggest, the talent and knowledge needed to actually do the modeling to meld the systems are those possessed by both engineers and physicians. But, in my experience, neither typical engineers nor physicians possess enough crossover knowledge to follow this stuff (at the level needed to do the more miraculous stuff we anticipate). Further, they tend to be rather too certain of their hard won knowledge and tend to devalue those who don’t possess the full breadth of knowledge they themselves possess about their field.

Second, those who can do both are channeled professionally in one direction or the other by the money.

All is not lost though, there are some who are smart enough to do the work and who are both idealistic enough and dumb enough to want to.

Finally, you can be sure that once these folks have pioneered the path, the researchers at the A-list institutions will swan in with their PR and grant development flacks laying down a blanket of suppressive fire.

Every chance I get, I dare someone that is opposed to electric cars and/or Tesla to drive my car. I believe it is the most persuasive argument I can offer. Imagine how many conservative Texans will drive a Tesla in the coming years. I opposed moving Tesla to Texas—it may well turn out to be Elon’s smartest move to date.

I dumped everything in Q2 of last year. Switched to stocks hit hard by the pandemic. Turned a nice gain. Bought back in 100%+ a few weeks or so later on a negative trajectory. Bought a few trinkets with some of the gained coin and have only been accumulating since. TSLA is now my dream house fund with 90% of it sitting in an IRA account. Prior to dump, holdings were <=15% of non-real estate portfolio. Now it’s about 50+%. So yes, I’m a weak HODL but gaining strength. :)

I could retire today but tax penalties too high. Will wait until 59.5. Use the gains to fund the house and travel. Kids should have a nice inheritance without my having to sacrifice any good times in retirement. That includes getting the Plaid+. :)

I'm not one of the 5+ year gang, but by accident I bought before a large surge in share price (and borrowed money to do so).

All I really want for myself is financial freedom, not having to work unless I want to. Same for family by extension (education, maybe house deposits in a long time).

A stretch goal (which I could never have considered before) is to do some good for people/earth (including renewables, pollution & some specific groups that will probably grow as we think further & confidence grows).

I'm so grateful for Tesla & the luck/timing. A small pat on the back for myself & partner for going > 100% !

Imagine how many conservative Texans will drive a Tesla in the coming years. I opposed moving Tesla to Texas—it may well turn out to be Elon’s smartest move to date.
I've turned many neighbors, family, and friends who are opposite myself on the political spectrum into Tesla Believers by emphasizing three things.

1. American Engineered
  2. American Manufactured
  3. SpaceX (rockets are cool and "manly" - and Elon, the guy who runs Tesla, makes them)
I'm well aware of the nuance in 1, from Dalhousie in Canada to Grohmann Engineering in Germany (and many more international contributions), but I can still truthfully say that Tesla automobiles were engineered in the USA. And if you buy a Tesla in the USA, it was certainly manufactured here.

A stretch goal (which I could never have considered before) is to do some good for people/earth (including renewables, pollution & some specific groups that will probably grow as we think further & confidence grows).
It's likely I will be retire a few decades early because of TSLA and I plan to tutor in math and science for free. Haven't worked out the specifics, but maybe will do something at a public library.

FSD only cost me $2k more than Enhanced Autopilot...I think it was obvious to a reasonable person that paying for it then guaranteed nothing...I was able to get my car upgraded to the new chip...so I think I broke even.

Edit: dang wrong thread...meant to post on the FSD lawsuit thread...

Reactions: MaxPain