Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tdlr

Sweet interior, has some impressive gimmicks, drives like a boat, laggy UI, software not impressive, and I guess there's the gas version of this car.

You know that last question mkbhd asked gets me thinking. "Would you rather buy this or the gas version of this car?". Unless I'm am a tree hugger, why would I buy the electric version if it's more expensive but everything else being equal? I guess better instant torque vs charging infrastructure? But if these legacy companies keep making multiple versions of the same car then it's kind of hard for ev adoption to happen.

Tdlr

Sweet interior, has some impressive gimmicks, drives like a boat, laggy UI, software not impressive, and I guess there's the gas version of this car.

You know that last question mkbhd asked gets me thinking. "Would you rather buy this or the gas version of this car?". Unless I'm am a tree hugger, why would I buy the electric version if it's more expensive but everything else being equal? I guess better instant torque vs charging infrastructure? But if these legacy companies keep making multiple versions of the same car then it's kind of hard for ev adoption to happen.
I still can’t get past hair dryer mounted on dash with Miami vice lighting

I'm not so sure that's black trim. If it is, I think you can definitively say this is a refresh.
This image was taken in direct sunlight (look at the sharp shadows). If the trim was chrome, there would be a shiny spot somewhere on the curved span. All we see is black next to the glass. It's more likely black trim.

Also, rear spoiler on the refresh looks the same to me per photos on the website - I don't think they've changed the design. The fact that it looks like the vehicle in the video has a wickerbill is, I think, a trick of the light / low-resolution.
Clearly not the same rear airfoil. The "aspect ratio" the new Gurney flap is about 3.5:1 and clearly touches the body at it's leading edge. The aspect ratio of the previous Model X spoiler was approx 6:1 (not even close to the white Model X from the logistics yard video). Here's a better view of the older-style fixed rear spoiler:

Model X carbon rear airfoil.jpg

That's clearly not the same shape of spoiler (aspect ratio) as on the white Model X:

snapshot130.MXtrim.2021-04-10.jpg

Cheers!

Tdlr

Yeah, that was weird. Top 5 features had nothing to do with driving experience/performance???? Mood lighting, seat massage? Seriously?

What did he say about long term interest rates? Seems to be the biggest factor for TSLA in 2021
There's Elon saying to the moon(I take it as 2x on Q1 profits+v9 beta FSD) and there's Garyblack00 saying -20% if 2% 10y yield goes up to 3%.

I take my chances with Elon. Feels like a turning point. Not going to extremely-over-leverage.
Elon always cares for shareholders, not optionholders. Meaning could be 1-2 months or could be 6 months, you own the risk.

I've survived the 40% SP drop and made money on it selling puts, taking an occasional assignment and selling at a profit a week later or rolling (at 540) to later dates.

Holding 300 shares currently paid for by sold puts. When I sell these, I will exercise my 2yr calls @ ~1/10 of at-the-time SP. That will grow my shares at min cost possible.

Feeling extremely bullish, but giving MMs the option to suppress the SP for the next 2 weeks.
700- is the scenario I'm preparing for for the weeks prior to ER.

Yeah, that was weird. Top 5 features had nothing to do with driving experience/performance???? Mood lighting, seat massage? Seriously?

The Top 5 features of a non-AMG S Class has nothing to do with driving experience/performance. Many will be chauffeured.

Maybe someday they will make an AMG version of the EQS.

BTW I hate the discothèque lighting becoming prevalent in luxury cars.

The Top 5 features of a non-AMG S Class has nothing to do with driving experience/performance. Many will be chauffeured.

Maybe someday they will make an AMG version of the EQS.

BTW I hate the discothèque lighting becoming prevalent in luxury cars.
One of the top 5 in this case should be how good the AI chauffeur is. People buying 100k cars are usually not paying for a real chauffeurs unless they drop another 100k on a maybach

Reactions: scaesare
One of the top 5 in this case should be how good the AI chauffeur is. People buying 100k cars are usually not paying for a real chauffeurs unless they drop another 100k on a maybach

Level 2/3 is a driver assistance package not an AI chauffer. And unless the AI chauffer is in a android robot it can't put your luggage away. Or procure hookers/blo( at least in an untraceable way).

S Class starts at ~$100k.

As you well know in Asia E Class, in many instances, gets chauffeured.

This image was taken in direct sunlight (look at the sharp shadows). If the trim was chrome, there would be a shiny spot somewhere on the curved span. All we see is black next to the glass. It's more likely black trim.

Clearly not the same rear airfoil. The "aspect ratio" the new Gurney flap is about 3.5:1 and clearly touches the body at it's leading edge. The aspect ratio of the previous Model X spoiler was approx 6:1 (not even close to the white Model X from the logistics yard video). Here's a better view of the older-style fixed rear spoiler:

View attachment 652997

That's clearly not the same shape of spoiler (aspect ratio) as on the white Model X:

View attachment 652999

Cheers!

I don't disagree that the spoiler on the white Model X in the video looks like a wickerbill. Just seems strange that it would be contrary to what is shown in press images, but then again it wouldn't surprise me either. We will see!

Regarding the black trim - I hope you're right. :)

Level 2/3 is a driver assistance package not an AI chauffer. And unless the AI chauffer is in a android robot it can't put your luggage away. Or procure hookers/blo( at least in an untraceable way).

S Class starts at ~$100k.

As you well know in Asia E Class, in many instances, gets chauffeured.
You're right. AI Chauffeurs are terrible hiding transactions to your mistresses. Lawyers always manage to get them to talk and spell the beans, including exactly how much you paid to the exact penny and the exact second.

Tdlr

MQB asked ainteresting question:

Will it be easier for Tesla to learn to build luxury interiors or for MB to learn to build good software?

I think we all know the answer here, simply by the fact this car has a integrated a tablet that’s 7 years old. I repeat, SEVEN YEARS old! Oh my, I don’t even know how to start to bash that, they didn’t even bother to design a place holder then replace it with the latest right before launch...

The only way way these old luxury brands are going to survive in to design “timeless” classic cars, remove any trace of tech from the design, even the clocks need to be ones with hands and all that. Then they would be able to appeal to a niche market that’s looking for those.

Any attempt to put tech in there shows what they cannot do, which is embarrassing.

Anyways, these luxury markets are not important to Tesla’s mission, Tesla is already able to attract a lot of customers that can afford 100k+ car with their current offering. The market for ones who are into luxury interiors are not big enough to bother.

Tdlr

Thanks for posting this.

Here is a little more,

His top 5 Mercedes EQS features:

5 Ambient lighting

4 Tech: Very good HUD. Has 8 USB ports, 2 HDMI ports, 2 wireless chargers, fingerprint sign in, sideview mirror adjustment

3 Interior luxury: Great ventilation, seat adjusters, built-in seat massagers, a screen (including audio) for every passenger, rear center armrest has a Samsung tablet (from 2014, LOL!)

2 Seat-specific commands: Each seat will respond to voice commands from the occupant. The software was "pretty functional" and can get better going forward

1 Hyperscreen infotainment center: His "only constructive criticism" was the giant Hyperscreen is not up to snuff. Ugly, slow, unresponsive, dated UI. Compared it to Windows Media Player from the 2000s

He said the vehicle was a "boat to drive".

He also "loves this car is going to exist". :confused:

Bottom line: The review is absolutely dripping with sarcasm. Just look at his top 5 features list. He says at the beginning the EQS is the perfect "type" of car to go electric right now, i.e, a big luxury sedan. But his comments about this specific vehicle are what we call "faint praise".

Bottom line 2: He was quite the verbal gymnast and I bet laughed his head off between takes. He didn't want to slam the car because ticking off Mercedes and their fans would be bad for business. It's was an exclusive first look and he's the first person outside of Mercedes to use the car.

Last edited:
... Unless I'm am a tree hugger, why would I buy the electric version if it's more expensive but everything else being equal?...
You don't have to be a "tree hugger" to appreciate the benefits of an electric car:

Instant torque, like you said.
No gas.
No oil changes.
No required maintenance at all, except tires.
No exhaust.
No engine noise.

I've had my Model 3 for three years and I've saved thousands in gas and maintenance vs an ICE car.

Tdlr

I really liked the conclusion stating that this car was the opposite of a Tesla.
Minimalist vs super luxurious interior
Sporty ride vs Boat ride
Instant touchscreen with top software vs slow laggy screen and old looking UI

I think Tesla has grabbed a lot of Mercedes drivers in the beginning who loves the classy look of the Model S. However, I do not think these drivers will go back to Mercedes because of the superior tech that Tesla has to offer and to which they got used to. However it might attract some S-class drivers who are now ready to make the switch to EVs. This will be a great option for fidelity repeated Mercedes customers.

You don't have to be a "tree hugger" to appreciate the benefits of an electric car:

Instant torque, like you said.
No gas.
No oil changes.
No required maintenance at all, except tires.
No exhaust.
No engine noise.

I've had my Model 3 for three years and I've saved thousands in gas and maintenance vs an ICE car.
Yes, if EQS was the only choice. The question is only interesting because you are making a judgement call here, purposely buying an EV version of the car KNOWING that the company specializes in gas cars and has a gas version of this car for less money. There will be no way of making that "savings in gas" up with the upfront cost here. Unlike the Taycan, the only way to get that interior is to get a Taycan. So I have to be an ultra Mercedes loyalist AND a tree hugger to want to make this choice...cause the other choice is going with a company that specializes in EV without any gas offerings that's similar.

Reactions: Andy O
Good to know that Alibaba shares surge 5% due to having to pay a 2.8 dollar fine. Maybe instead of record deliveries, the government can slap a multi billion dollar fine on Tesla to make our sp go up. I had to read this headline multiple times just to understand it..lol.