Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
A few questions:
Do you think that Tesla can grow enough to complete "the mission" on its own in any reasonable time frame? Or, alternatively, do you think that any of the legacy companies that are trying to get BEV tech up to speed, will do so quickly enough to help the mission in any meaningful way? If Tesla does not "lend" its technology superiority to Toyota (or any other legacy manufacturer), then who will? Please name these companies that are capable? With Tesla's undisputed and unchallenged superiority, time is of the essence for everyone.
1. No. Others will have to help.
2. No. Legacy companies have too much debt, too much internal resistance, and the need to maintain dividends to keep investors invested. Even if Tesla gave them the technology, they wouldn't have the capital to use it as it was meant to be used.
3. We'll have to look for startups, likely from China and India. North America is mostly a lost cause for new startups due to politics and the entrenched fossil fuel lobbyists.

TheTalkingMule

Distributed Energy Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Aren't you expecting a sell off after earnings - hopefully very short term?!
I was expecting a selloff from $950 in mid-May back to $750-800, but now that SO MUCH energy is being expended on the front end, I think we're more likely to see a post-earnings explosion.

They're holding TSLA to $750 last week, $800 this week, and $[X] next week because that's the logical route as of today. I think the inputs to the algos are gonna change a lot Monday and the SP rise won't be something they can contain.

Gotta remember what goes with FUD.....an equal amount of naked shorting. It's a 1-2 punch and the shorting needs to unwind. I'm sure they're unwinding intra-day and from day-to-day, but not nearly enough to be even remotely covered come Tuesday.

We shall see. It's all a guessing game obviously.

lafrisbee

Dec 13, 2019
Indialantic FL
Naming a product Autopilot gives the impression it can operate by itself. When a company constantly advertises it close to to FSD, one can expect the masses to leap ahead and do stupid tricks like in Houston or on Youtube. I wander what effect has this accident had on the next Beta FSD release. Of course Tesla does not want people putting themselves at risk doing these "tricks" and should be commended by keeping a tight lease on who gets future Beta FSD releases.
lol, you have not made an intelligent decision by referring to the Fatal tesla tx crash as a "stupid trick". The cop did the same thing. Any LEO that had been first on the scene of that event would have surmised that the driver had been able to exit the vehicle before it became engulfed in flames, and had fled. And a search for that individual would have been initiated. The limited time I was associated with law enforcement on the municipal level was in one where the LEO's consistently looked for a "Bad Guy." As in if a person has a tail light out check for warrants and a DUI in progress. The affluence of the neighborhood may have an influence over this officer, but to disregard the scene as anything other than an accident where the driver fled the scene is not within the assessment of a normal law enforcement officer.
I believe a thorough investigation will find the driver is very closely related to the victim(s), and is still very much alive.

Scuttlebutt

Aug 6, 2018
Philippines/Minnesota
2. No. Legacy companies have too much debt, too much internal resistance, and the need to maintain dividends to keep investors invested. Even if Tesla gave them the technology, they wouldn't have the capital to use it as it was meant to be used.
3. We'll have to look for startups, likely from China and India. North America is mostly a lost cause for new startups due to politics and the entrenched fossil fuel lobbyists.
Of the non-startups, I think the one to watch will be Geely. They own Polestar and Volvo, too. Geely is making huge strides with production quality, safety, and value for money VS other ICE.
They essentially offer a luxury Volvo compact SUV (the CoolRay Sport) with a ton of tech and Volvo mechanicals/design for USD 25K in the Philippines and elsewhere.

Hock1

Jan 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Those are all reasoned points, but we were talking about Toyota (either 1st or 2nd in the world for auto sales), a non-american company, making the statement that they plan to have 25 BEV models for sale by 2026. Maybe they are "overly optimistic" like GM and VW. We'll see soon, IMO.

Reactions: wipster

SN_8

Jan 5, 2021
USA
A stock split announcement would be a great way to say🖕
We're "# 1"?
I don't know. According to my wife, they had the Tesla crash on the Today Show this morning, talking about how it took 4 hours to put out the fire (which we have known since yesterday is NOT true). I'm sick of it.
I've found the NBC channels to be considerably more dishonest than other networks on this issue (not that the others have handled this well).

It was a top story on NBC nightly news yesterday, ironically immediately followed by a story on the growing climate crisis. Well how about you stop trying to ruin the only major corporation actually doing something to combat the climate crisis you dumb étron.

Krugerrand

Was cat, now temporarily dog. 🤷‍♂️
Jul 13, 2012
Tesla friendly place
A few questions:
Do you think that Tesla can grow enough to complete "the mission" on its own in any reasonable time frame? Or, alternatively, do you think that any of the legacy companies that are trying to get BEV tech up to speed, will do so quickly enough to help the mission in any meaningful way? If Tesla does not "lend" its technology superiority to Toyota (or any other legacy manufacturer), then who will? Please name these companies that are capable? With Tesla's undisputed and unchallenged superiority, time is of the essence for everyone.
Those are great questions. Personally, I think we’re doomed regardless. Too stupid to live and all that. 😉

To try and answer the questions more ‘seriously’.

I believe Tesla will in fact pretty much complete the mission on its own. Whether they do 90% or 75% of the heavy lifting doesn’t matter in the end. Tesla will takeover/absorb/buy/drag everyone into the future. What the future ends up looking like is anybody’s guess. I don’t know if we make it. I can’t even decide if we deserve to make it.

One thing I do think that happens (is already happening) is that former Tesla employees help new/existing companies. Since it’s clear that all the new engineers coming out of schools want to be at Tesla and others not in engineering want to be at Tesla, I think this is another way that other companies are helped over time. If everyone has worked for Tesla/SpaceX/Boring/Neuralink/Starlink/etc... at some point then that accumulated knowledge leaks to other companies.

Andy O

Jul 13, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
Thus we come to truly bizarre prefix such as 'auto' which came from the Greek for 'self' or 'independent'.
If we are discussing words, then let us object to the mongrel or bastard word "automobile". "Auto" comes from Greek and "mobile" from Latin, and such a word is offensive to some. For linguistic purity we should call them autokiniles or suimobiles.

Hock1

Jan 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Lots of capping this afternoon. Any attempted rise being quickly and skillfully put down by putting in and pulling large orders (just happened at $714.50). Macros, of course, also not helping.

It's called Financial Spoofing. Totally illegal and should be reported to FINRA. Only problem is FINRA is owned and operated by the Spoofers. ( I.e., Goldman, JPM, etc.)

Snerruc

Apr 16, 2016
Palm Bay
The 1040 was completed, sitting on the desk, staring me down, and I decided to get 'er done.
That's one less thing to forget in the dotage of retirement. :)
If you are retired on Social Security, you can have up to 40% of your check withheld and your wife can have a lessor amount withheld. This should keep you from any penalty situation. For me, this pretty much takes care of the tax question.

• Informative
Reactions: 2daMoon

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC