Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping for he best, but worried about how FSD regulation/approval will play out.

FSD is already legal to turn on- today- at L4 or L5 in a number of US states.

There's no "approval" to wait for in those places- it's already approved for any such system that can also obey all traffic laws.

Tesla could simply turn it on (once they believe it's safe enough to do so) and let the actual results speak for themselves regarding other states and countries modifying their own regulations to also allow it.

Certainly that'd be more convincing data for those other locations than shadow mode/L2 miles since it takes fallible humans out of the data... (or at least fallible humans in Teslas out- can't help the other drivers being out there).

• Helpful
Reactions: lukex4 and PeterJA
This is little:

031f0a7151e8ceaef357d5cddba9c1df.jpg

This is heavy: Falcon Heavy (business end)

Super Heavy will be out this Summer. ;)

Cheers!
Pre Octaweb layout!

Tesla could simply turn it on (once they believe it's safe enough to do so) and let the actual results speak for themselves regarding other states and countries modifying their own regulations to also allow it.
Obviously the FUD scare is to try and prevent FSD from ever turning on at all. So they're trying to anger the public, hoping for a protest no doubt. I could see something develop there, then tie it to an "Uber/Lyft jobs will Vanish" narrative. Volatility ahead.

Partly because of this, I'm considering offloading a bit on Mon. But whatever I let go, some of that needs to get back in the game. That's 2x hard to do, but I'll give it a shot. Maybe 15% or 20% shaving. There will be FSD related dip opportunities in the future I'm sure. I just don't know the baseline yet. What became clear to me the past month is that I am holding too much TSLA and can't buy the dips as well as I'd like.

Silly MMD question... When manipulation drives it down fast, who's buying it back so quickly when that's over? Same folks (to reduce any nakedness)? Or do the Bots (from anywhere) just detect the selling lull and buy like crazy?

I was going to write a post on this subject today. This may seem like common sense to everyone on the board but I finally realized this last night.

After watching the stock price movement daily for ~4 years, I have come to the conclusion it doesn't matter how good the catalyst or news is (e.g. Q1 2021 results). Especially after S&P500 inclusion, the float is much smaller now than it was back in 2017. Retail investing just doesn't move a 700 billion market cap stock the way it could when TSLA was 50 billion. The MM's are just buying and selling the same pool of artificial shares from each other daily. Until a big whale plugs these numbers into their spreadsheets, we wont significantly move.

Pre Octaweb layout!
It's a 3x3 pack of engines, wow! Imagine having to access the engine in the center 😲

People who work on their own stuff spot these concerns immediately, and why we initially sold our newer VW Bug to start our whole BEV train of events. Their battery was inside the fender, and the oil drain under a large pan needing yet another driver set in my tools. Then the strings on the conv top started breaking, I literally worried about maintenance and sold it for our Model 3.

I was going to write a post on this subject today. This may seem like common sense to everyone on the board but I finally realized this last night.

After watching the stock price movement daily for ~4 years, I have come to the conclusion it doesn't matter how good the catalyst or news is (e.g. Q1 2021 results). Especially after S&P500 inclusion, the float is much smaller now than it was back in 2017. Retail investing just doesn't move a 700 billion market cap stock the way it could when TSLA was 50 billion. The MM's are just buying and selling the same pool of artificial shares from each other daily. Until a big whale plugs these numbers into their spreadsheets, we wont significantly move.
I think you're a bit off on your logic here. The float being tighter post-inclusion, which it obviously is, creates two dynamics:

1) Yes institutional owners have more shares to robo-sell to themselves and each other to hold down SP rise, but they only do that with the knowledge of where those shares are going and when they'll be coming back. MM's have a ton more shares with which to "manipulate" SP on low volume days, BUT

2) The true float IS FAR TIGHTER than pre-inclusion. When any real buying and selling happens there are far fewer real shares to actually move around. The ease with which we see the SP moved around these last few weeks disappears once any real buying starts. Then the market gets a feel for how many shares are truly available within the float, and the share price MUST be allowed to land where it pleases at any given moment.

Tesla's family of vehicles sighted in Laguna Seca in potential Model S Plaid track attempt | Teslarati.com

"Several units of the Tesla Model S refresh, together with the rest of the EV maker’s family of vehicles, were recently sighted at the Laguna Seca Raceway. While only images of the vehicles were captured by members of the electric vehicle community, the presence of the flagship sedan in the noted racetrack suggests that Tesla may be looking to test the limits of the Model S Plaid before customer deliveries begin."​

EzdngwLVIAU7Ko3

Sounds like a track day with a family foto op. :D

Cheers!

Obviously the FUD scare is to try and prevent FSD from ever turning on at all. So they're trying to anger the public, hoping for a protest no doubt. I could see something develop there, then tie it to an "Uber/Lyft jobs will Vanish" narrative. Volatility ahead.

Partly because of this, I'm considering offloading a bit on Mon. But whatever I let go, some of that needs to get back in the game. That's 2x hard to do, but I'll give it a shot. Maybe 15% or 20% shaving. There will be FSD related dip opportunities in the future I'm sure. I just don't know the baseline yet. What became clear to me the past month is that I am holding too much TSLA and can't buy the dips as well as I'd like.

I'm not a huge fan of the constant "never sell!" chorus here, but in this instance let me put on my @StealthP3D hat and disagree.

When FUD is extreme like this and MM's SP pushdown so strong, it's happening for a reason. They're concerned about the probability of a near term share price spike. Taking a step back and looking at the situation without emotion or TMC bias.....why would you be selling in such an environment? If anything, you should be selling when this board in in euphoria-mode and SP is skyrocketing, then look to buy back in lower during a pullback years down the line.

Your logic of re-entering at some lower or similar price point in the future is completely valid. Volatility is here to stay, and so is shorting and FUD, opportunities will be there. I just think you might wanna wait a few weeks for the impact of what we know is likely a blowout quarter. These guys are scared to death, why do exactly what they're praying you'll do?

Not advice.

Edit to add: In tagging the userid StealthP3D, I noticed there are 7 (seven!) users with the prefix "stealth". Is that not a fairly obvious bot stripping a recognized common noun from the front of the most active user and creating similar bot id's? Perhaps not worth worrying about, just found it interesting.

Hopefully, a big and positive day tomorrow.

I think you're a bit off on your logic here. The float being tighter post-inclusion, which it obviously is, creates two dynamics:

1) Yes institutional owners have more shares to robo-sell to themselves and each other to hold down SP rise, but they only do that with the knowledge of where those shares are going and when they'll be coming back. MM's have a ton more shares with which to "manipulate" SP on low volume days, BUT

2) The true float IS FAR TIGHTER than pre-inclusion. When any real buying and selling happens there are far fewer real shares to actually move around. The ease with which we see the SP moved around these last few weeks disappears once any real buying starts. Then the market gets a feel for how many shares are truly available within the float, and the share price MUST be allowed to land where it pleases at any given moment.

You're right the float is tighter post inclusion, but it is also much more expensive.