Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would a 45k car cost the same to insure as a 130k car?

1619057740811.png

That, actually, would probably improve efficiency. It would be eliminating one AC to DC to AC round trip, by charging the powerwalls directly with DC current.
That could also be why they are stopping standalone sales of the Powerwall. They may finally be releasing the DC version. (Originally they were going to release two versions of the Powerwall 2: AC and DC. They only ended up releasing the AC version.)

So maybe now that they have their own inverters they can couple the solar, inverter, and Powerwall on the DC bus eliminating some of the duplicate, and inefficient equipment...

So I can't buy just solar panels from Tesla? I knew they were planning to only sell Powerwalls as part of a solar install, but it goes the other way too?

A large portion of people have absolutely no use for a Powerwall AND demand is already off the charts for Powerwall.

I'm guessing a factor is that a significant portion of panel only installs came back the next year and asked for powerwall as an add on. Forcing Tesla to undo/redo work that was done in the first install. So they wanted to avoid the people trying to get panels in year 1 and powerwalls in year 2 so that overall installs would go smoother (have less costs in the long run).

as in

* panels only is profitable
* powerwall only is profitable
* panels + powerwall is more profitable if installed all at once
* panels + powerwall is less profitable if split out into multiple installs (at least in comparison to the single install route).

Yeah this is surprising. No more battery bottleneck or are solar margins that terrible? It’s got to be one or the other, right?

I have Tesla solar and was hoping to install Powerwalls in the future. :/

This is a horrible turn for my region, and I also think pretty bad timing for Tesla's role in the wider solar marketplace.

Since I plan to rant on this for approximately 75 posts, I'll now take myself to the Energy forum.

This makes a market for better labeling of circuits.

A whole house can drink a lot of power wall energy.

Some fraction will need to be disconnected unless there are lots of power walls.

Automatic remote controlled breakers can disconnect the non-priority loads.

Or people with good labels.

Or smart thermostats.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if Solar will ONLY be sold with powerwalls this means that either...

Battery supply is high enough to supply enough powerwalls for expected solar installs or,
Solar demand/production is low enough to not overwhelm battery supply.

Dripping with contempt. What is up with these “journalists?”
They hate us because we are making them irrelevant. If they had spent a few minutes looking up how the system works, and the location of the accident then random idiots like us wouldn't have needed to.

Last edited:
I remember getting cookies and gold stars. Are any of you young enough to remember that?
I remember getting a dime for an A, and a Nickel for a B.
No not every A or B, just on my report card.

And then Dad went to Viet nam, and mom didn't give enough of a shite to look at my report card.
In the fifth grade I signed everything to do with school, from the textbook release to my report cards. Only once did my Mom sign my report card, the fifth six week grading period. And she only did it then because my little sister did so well she wanted to show my Mother so she woke her up before we went to school. Were were NOT supposed to ever wake her up. So since she was awake she called me in to sign mine. Of course I had already signed mine. She erased it , and signed her name. My Teacher called my Mother to tell her that I had forged her signature that afternoon. Dear Mother played it cool. When I got home she told me to tell the teacher she had punished me. and then told me to continue signing everything.
BTW, I played pong in college.

Do NOT read this article! He calls us conspiracy theorists! Exactly what you would expect someone writing for vICE to say. The truth is out there people. o_O👽

We can laugh (to keep from crying) but this disinformation tactic is in common use, and harms our lives beyond Tesla investments.

Many actual conspiracies have been well-documented. Tobacco companies conspired to suppress awareness of cigarette dangers. Oil companies conspired to suppress awareness of climate change. Auto companies conspired to dismantle the electric trolleys in US major cities.

Is it logical to believe that these were the only conspiracies... that powerful industries have stopped defending their interests by any means feasible?

Major media want you to equate "conspiracy theorist" with crackpot, and "conspiracy" with crackpot belief. Unsurprisingly, these media are largely controlled (via ownership or advertising dollars) by industries doing the conspiring.

Regulars in this forum can likely recognize the media conspiracy against Tesla. But I recommend, for your benefit and mine, that you think twice before sneering (like that Vice article sneered at you) at "conspiracy theorists" in other fields. Extremely harmful conspiracies by other powerful industries are ongoing, and harming you. I won't mention them here, to avoid charging further off topic. But I wrote about one in the Coronavirus thread (where I was sneered at plenty).

I note that this malaise started right after you were told to decommission your spanking machines, I totally blame the moderators for $TSLA's illogical behaviour
Don’t I know it......

Lucky for the group my RotoThump BabyShreikers™ have been installed on the motherboard and it totally fits on the H-Axis!

Gordo better pop those suspenders because this thing is going to be running full blast.
Basicly the machine will run until either there is no more flesh or the paddles completely brake loose from the axle. It’s not going to be pretty either way.

Trying to figure out Tesla’s Model Y 4680 strategy. Elon seems to have confirmed that Berlin will use 4680.
A few months later Austin should start producing Model Y. Will these be 4680? If yes, then at that point will Tesla be offering two different variants of Model Y in the US, the 4680 from Austin and the 2170 from Freemont? I guess most customers will want they newer better variant... So then Freemont have some downtime to upgrade the line to 4680 also which around 2022 will be proven. That would be a very quick surge in demand for 4680. If not this, then how do you think will they roll out 4680 Model Y in the US?

This video from Dave seems right to me especially the comments on a VPP being a source of ongoing revenue, and this being related to Tesla energy Q1 results.

I am waiting to see what (if anything) Tesla does with Solar and Batteries in Australia.

My hunch is we may also see bundled solar and batteries, and Tesla stepping up efforts to sell more solar.

So I assume more inventory of Powerwalls will become available, just selling solar will not be necessary or profitable.,

I also think having a pool of future customers for VPPs is a big driver.

Reactions: CLK350