Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is completely false and a terrible way to look at valuations. Stocks don't "work" to move up, the share price is simply a representation of current market appetite for one share. This was one of the first things rammed into my head when joining TMC back in the day.

SP will be $1000 when someone wants to buy shares and the only price someone else is willing to take is $1000. Could be September 2024 or two months from now. Either way no "work" will be done, it's not a pile of gold that needs to be replenished to build higher.
Sure, agreed, but a 10% gain is a 10% gain from any given number. If good numbers sudenly come out, the buyers don’t buy @ 1000 they buy at the current price. At that point is it not the Volume that is the true mover of how far the run will go? I understand your logic and agree, but it’s not always so cut & dry.

Mb I’m wrong, but the way I see it we’re going to have to reclaim our ATH first & the lower we are in SP, regardless of your or mine entry price, that will take a certain volume. I don’t doubt the speeds fast or slow in which that can happen, I just know it has to happen first.

Step one: global domination

That is completely false and a terrible way to look at valuations. Stocks don't "work" to move up, the share price is simply a representation of current market appetite for one share. This was one of the first things rammed into my head when joining TMC back in the day.

SP will be $1000 when someone wants to buy shares and the only price someone else is willing to take is $1000. Could be September 2024 or two months from now. Either way no "work" will be done, it's not a pile of gold that needs to be replenished to build higher.

The TA folks are building effigys of you to burn as we speak...

when you don’t rally on record production and deliveries, a hard end point,
the near term motivation to buy diminishes.

now the stock seems to move mostly in sympathy with the negative external events.
moreover, the Bitcoin adventure is now being used to cast doubts on the main business.

at this point the negative narrative can only be reversed with strong deliveries and production.

LEAPs I have been watching for a long time are now below my buy target, but to be honest, I don't have the confidence to pull the trigger in this market. I will keep buying shares though. I'll sleep better with the 1 delta and no expiration.
How's that thing go, "buy when others are scared" or something like that?

This is pasted from my brokerage's newsfeed. The time stamp could not really be ET, but must be UT.

CFRA MAINTAINS HOLD OPINION ON SHARES OF TESLA, INC.

3:24 pm ET May 13, 2021 (CFRA) Print
We lower our 12-month price target by $170 to $600 based on a '22 P/E of 85.7x. Our adjusted EPS estimates remain $4.60 for '21 and $7.00 for '22. Last night, TSLA announced it would stop accepting bitcoin for car purchases, citing the energy and carbon-intensive bitcoin mining process. In reality, we believe very few vehicle purchases took place using bitcoin given the significant capital gains tax liability such transactions could incur. We think TSLA's foray into cryptocurrency has both weighed on the stock's valuation and muddled the story, raising a plethora of questions regarding its capital allocation strategy, such as why the return on investment on bitcoin might outweigh that of a new vehicle factory. We lower our target multiple, believing a lower valuation is justified, as the announcement contributes to a 10%+ bitcoin selloff and impacts the value of TSLA's $1.33B of bitcoin holdings at the end of Q1. Additionally, we continue to have significant concerns regarding rising EV competition.

This is pasted from my brokerage's newsfeed. The time stamp could not really be ET, but must be UT.

3:24 pm ET May 13, 2021 (CFRA) Print
We lower our 12-month price target by $170 to $600 based on a '22 P/E of 85.7x. Our adjusted EPS estimates remain $4.60 for '21 and $7.00 for '22. Last night, TSLA announced it would stop accepting bitcoin for car purchases, citing the energy and carbon-intensive bitcoin mining process. In reality, we believe very few vehicle purchases took place using bitcoin given the significant capital gains tax liability such transactions could incur. We think TSLA's foray into cryptocurrency has both weighed on the stock's valuation and muddled the story, raising a plethora of questions regarding its capital allocation strategy, such as why the return on investment on bitcoin might outweigh that of a new vehicle factory. We lower our target multiple, believing a lower valuation is justified, as the announcement contributes to a 10%+ bitcoin selloff and impacts the value of TSLA's $1.33B of bitcoin holdings at the end of Q1. Additionally, we continue to have significant concerns regarding rising EV competition.
I definitely agree with one thing. This BTC nonsense muddled the story. Introduced volatility and risk for absolutely zero reason, upsetting tree huggers and fomo traders in the process.

IMHO, another big whale is unloading TSLA. We will find out later who it was from the reports. Such consistent big moves going on for weeks are hard to explain by FUD effect or shorting.
Why would a whale be offloading at these prices. To me that would be more concerning than FUD.

(Edit) Unless it’s a solvency issue. But even then. Doesn’t make sense to drop the bulk of the stake. Gifford was selling in the mid 7’s afaik. Which makes sense if they thought they could get a lower entry price. But for a whale to offload; they would need to see a possibility for a much lower entry price.

Last edited:
“Buy the rumor”
The rumor is STILL that AP causes crashes and Berlin has been delayed by 6 months. AKA buy Puts is what the average joe is thinking and what the market is telling them to do.
Not smart, but seamingly effective.
That is “The narrative”.
Winding the spring......
Someday soon......

My guess for next positive catalyst other than P&D blowout is that Q2 ER Tesla reports FSD deferred revenues.

3:24 pm UTC May 13, 2021 (CFRA) Print
We lower our 12-month price target by $170 to $600 based on a '22 P/E of 85.7x. Our adjusted EPS estimates remain $4.60 for '21 and $7.00 for '22.
Lol, they lowered their price tgt by 22% but left EPS unchanged for this year and next? So are they actually admitting that their SP tgt is NOT based on P/E ratios, since earnings haven't changed in their estimate, but the price tgt has changed? So what is their tgt SP actually based on then, good will and feelings? Capri pants?

We think TSLA's foray into cryptocurrency has both weighed on the stock's valuation and muddled the story
Perhaps they have the story wrong, and Tesla isn't just an auto manufacturer? But they want to value it like one, and smak them down if they get out of that lane. Priceless! Further telling how they don't think environmental concerns are worthy of a mention, it's ONLY about the Benjamins to them.

the announcement contributes to a 10%+ bitcoin selloff and impacts the value of TSLA's $1.33B of bitcoin holdings at the end of Q1.
Lol, bitcoin goes through 10% swings nearly every week. Enough with the FUD! If bitcoin went to ZERO, Telsa would be out $1.3B Max, but this analyst now recommends the value of the company is $164B less because of a potential bitcoin move which he FEARS might happen? That's 120x the value for drop in bitcoin holdings vs drop in market cap. How is this joker even taken seriously at the country club?

Additionally, we continue to have significant concerns regarding rising EV competition.
... ooh, and we have CONCERNS! Tell us (oh mighty Wall St. know-it-nothing) is the COMPETITION coming? Finally? Or is it still by 2025 for sure.

What drivel. I'm surprised these people can make a living as analysts. Oh wait... :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
BTC is a distraction. But Elon has always been the storied CEO. People certainly did not wish for his Pedo tweet ad certainly that was a distraction. Beside, when BTC group did not appreciate Elon and lend hand in shore up TSLA then, why would we care that they turn again TSLA now?

In fact he's generated so much distraction along the way. We have to take him as a whole.

What I try to focus on is the execution, and S/X refresh is the sticking point for me. He even gave a speech at the beginning of Feb during Rogan show indicating the delivery is within the same month.

Now it could also be that due to chip shortage or whatever they decided to shelf it to pretty up the accounting book, but none of it is communicated. I think he is distracted. SpaceX certainly is more fun than TSLA to him, I guess.