Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about China April deliveries a little more. While the 26k total is a little disappointing compared to March, there could be some mitigating factors.

WuWa's video of April 30 shows a full parking lot. And we don't know how many are waiting at port for shipping.

I'm not saying these numbers will move the needle drastically, however they may not be as low as first reported when compared to production. I guess we will find out in July.

I was thinking about China April deliveries a little more. While the 26k total is a little disappointing compared to March, there could be some mitigating factors.

WuWa's video of April 30 shows a full parking lot. And we don't know how many are waiting at port for shipping.

I'm not saying these numbers will move the needle drastically, however they may not be as low as first reported when compared to production. I guess we will find out in July.
The production and delivery situation in Shangahi is a little difficult to interpret. We go from a very full logistics yard on the 30th April to a very bare yard on the 13th May as shown in WuWa's more recent video and this one below from Jason Yang. I suspect what we're seeing is batching in the logistics yard before loading to ships but whatever it is its quite different the more consistent logistics flow we're used to seeing.

Seems like Tesla has reserved some land south and west of Giga Shanghai:

Translation:

Not only that, but longer-term planning is still going on. Along the Zhengjia Road on the west gate of the Tesla Gigafactory, it is about two kilometers south, which is a 460,000 square meter factory land reserved for Tesla in Lingang.

Even if the official website of the Shanghai Land Market shows that the land has been "successful". But in the view of Zhao Zhendong, the investment manager of the Investment Management Department of Lingang Industrial Zone Economic Development Co., Ltd., although there has been a "flow mark", land is a scarce resource, "The Tesla team should not let it go easily."

Looking around now, there is still a deserted open grassland. The workers who laid the river piles on the site told Future Auto Daily that a factory will be built here in the future, but it is not clear which company it is. "Now the laying of river piles has just begun, and the muck truck and bulldozer have just started work. It will take eight or nine months before the plant starts."

Lingang partial land plan (partial) Source: Future Auto Daily

However, as Tesla has gradually become the largest factory in Lingang, the right to speak continues to increase, and its suppliers have chosen to set up here. At the end of September last year, 13 projects, including Xinquan Co., Ltd. and Jinyuansheng, officially landed in the new Lingang area, covering various supporting products such as body, chassis, sensors and electronic components.

According to incomplete statistics from Future Auto Daily, in 2020, more than 10 "Tesla series" suppliers will settle in the Lingang New Area. This also means that within half an hour, Tesla can easily gather the required parts in the new Lingang area.

"As long as the quality permits, Tesla's localization rate can continue to increase, which will also bring more innovation opportunities to domestic companies." In an interview with Future Auto Daily, a relevant person said so. According to the plan, Lingang’s target for new energy vehicle production capacity is 1 million. In addition to the Tesla plant, Zhiji cars will also be produced at SAIC’s passenger car plant in Lingang.

Last edited:
I look at WaPo bylines and check if it's Faiz Siddiqui. He's a paid attack dog, probably personally hired by Bezos himself. If I see this byline, I immediately ignore the article. Faiz Siddiqui has been writing attack pieces on Tesla for years now, everyone knows about him and Russ Mitchell of the LA Times.
To understand Faiz Siddiqui just look at his bio. Bezos promised not to interfere with WAPO editorial practice and I do not believe he does so. We need not think conspiratorial to imagine somebody who used to berate Washington Metro safety would be a popular tech watch choice for their primary audience.

We should not need conspiracy to explain anti-tech journalistic bias. That is a popular view today, and who typifies tech better than Tesla?

Seems like Tesla has reserved some land south and west of Giga Shanghai:

Translation:

Not only that, but longer-term planning is still going on. Along the Zhengjia Road on the west gate of the Tesla Gigafactory, it is about two kilometers south, which is a 460,000 square meter factory land reserved for Tesla in Lingang.

Even if the official website of the Shanghai Land Market shows that the land has been "successful". But in the view of Zhao Zhendong, the investment manager of the Investment Management Department of Lingang Industrial Zone Economic Development Co., Ltd., although there has been a "flow mark", land is a scarce resource, "The Tesla team should not let it go easily."

Looking around now, there is still a deserted open grassland. The workers who laid the river piles on the site told Future Auto Daily that a factory will be built here in the future, but it is not clear which company it is. "Now the laying of river piles has just begun, and the muck truck and bulldozer have just started work. It will take eight or nine months before the plant starts."

Lingang partial land plan (partial) Source: Future Auto Daily

However, as Tesla has gradually become the largest factory in Lingang, the right to speak continues to increase, and its suppliers have chosen to set up here. At the end of September last year, 13 projects, including Xinquan Co., Ltd. and Jinyuansheng, officially landed in the new Lingang area, covering various supporting products such as body, chassis, sensors and electronic components.

According to incomplete statistics from Future Auto Daily, in 2020, more than 10 "Tesla series" suppliers will settle in the Lingang New Area. This also means that within half an hour, Tesla can easily gather the required parts in the new Lingang area.

"As long as the quality permits, Tesla's localization rate can continue to increase, which will also bring more innovation opportunities to domestic companies." In an interview with Future Auto Daily, a relevant person said so. According to the plan, Lingang’s target for new energy vehicle production capacity is 1 million. In addition to the Tesla plant, Zhiji cars will also be produced at SAIC’s passenger car plant in Lingang.
Thanks!
I can't get the image to match with Teslas current factory vs new land... does the map show only new land, or existing, or both?

Thanks!
I can't get the image to match with Teslas current factory vs new land... does the map show only new land, or existing, or both?
This part is Tesla's current factory. The road on the RHS isn't built yet.
1621073132128.png

The production and delivery situation in Shangahi is a little difficult to interpret. We go from a very full logistics yard on the 30th April to a very bare yard on the 13th May as shown in WuWa's more recent video and this one below from Jason Yang. I suspect what we're seeing is batching in the logistics yard before loading to ships but whatever it is its quite different the more consistent logistics flow we're used to seeing.

I think you're right. Shanghai loaded the Lake Geneva RoRo on May 5th....likely from April production sitting in the logistics yard on April 30th. Loading the ship took a day and a half. These vehicles would not have been included in the April "sales" reported by the China Passenger Car Association.

Shipments from Fremont and Shanghai continue at a blistering pace. Quoting others on this forum, "Q2 may be an epic head fake". FUD gives the appearance of problems but we will see another record quarter. Q2 ship loading time as of yesterday continues to be 38% ahead of Q1.

1621079484887.png

source of data: @FMossotto on Twitter

Last edited:
Well, there's this today.

Gotta love that headline, of course this is in the article. :mad:

However on Friday, the agency walked back its previous declaration.

“To clarify,” a new CHP statement said, “There has not been a final determination made as to what driving mode the Tesla was in or if it was a contributing factor to the crash.”

Gotta love that headline, of course this is in the article. :mad:

However on Friday, the agency walked back its previous declaration.

“To clarify,” a new CHP statement said, “There has not been a final determination made as to what driving mode the Tesla was in or if it was a contributing factor to the crash.”
Maybe one of these days the various investigating agencies will learn that the correct answer to “was Autopilot engaged?” is “we are working with Tesla to make that determination”.

EC0CA7A1-5F52-4DF6-9EF2-482FE5417634.gif

To understand Faiz Siddiqui just look at his bio. Bezos promised not to interfere with WAPO editorial practice and I do not believe he does so. We need not think conspiratorial to imagine somebody who used to berate Washington Metro safety would be a popular tech watch choice for their primary audience.

We should not need conspiracy to explain anti-tech journalistic bias. That is a popular view today, and who typifies tech better than Tesla?

If you think Bezos invested millions into media for the questionable profits, and not for the influence, then I suggest you reconsider your beliefs.

There are ways Bezos can direct the kind of stories that come out without hovering over the editor on every story. And if editors care about their future, there is plenty of incentive to fulfill the wishes he has made known. It's the only way his substantial investment makes any sense. It's not conspiratorial, it's common sense.

If you think Bezos invested millions into media for the questionable profits, and not for the influence, then I suggest you reconsider your beliefs.

There are ways Bezos can direct the kind of stories that come out without hovering over the editor on every story. And if editors care about their future, there is plenty of incentive to fulfill the wishes he has made known. It's the only way his substantial investment makes any sense. It's not conspiratorial, it's common sense.
I don't argue that. I DO argue with those who suggest he has direct intervention, or even implied intervention, in editorial matters. His ownership can achieve positive results from his perspective even when is remains completely above the fray. He's far too disciplined to do anything so self-defeating as that.

I don't argue that. I DO argue with those who suggest he has direct intervention, or even implied intervention, in editorial matters. His ownership can achieve positive results from his perspective even when is remains completely above the fray. He's far too disciplined to do anything so self-defeating as that.
I'm sorry..... if he was that disciplined he would not have sent compromised pictures.

Not a lot of respect for a middle aged man sending pictures of his private parts.