Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will care about Mr. Burry if and when he orchestrates scaled production of energy products, automobile products, and software products that present a competitive threat to Tesla. Until then, I don't care that he exists.
Yeah but short sellers like him provide an invaluable service to the market. They find fraud, make big bets in order to make large profits, and then when they feel like it they let people know. Such saints. :rolleyes:

I've seen several articles attributing the drop in the stock to Tesla's purchase of bitcoin, but I don't buy that. Other tech stocks are also not doing great. And if large Tesla shareholders have a problem with it, you know they would be calling Elon and/or Zach and letting them know how they feel.

If I recall correctly, Gifford said they were 'okay' with the bitcoin purchase, but wanted to put limits on it. For a bull to say that, means others are likely more even more wary. It is just one of a multitude of factors though.

You do understand his position is based on valuation, right? What a weird argument to be making.
His position was based on dumb research. He literally announced that he was shorting Tesla a week BEFORE the S&P inclusion date. I know not everyone can time the market but come on! He very easily could have shorted in the 600+

Last edited:
That was my first reaction BUT when I spent more time looking closely it IS just like the rendering from Battery Day. The picture is probably taken with the lens on wideangle and it has introduced some perspective distortion.

Yes, I studied it again and now see that the big piece in the foreground could be another wheel housing from the skateboard. Thanks to folks who inspired me to take another look.

I tried to edit my post, but the editing time is expired.

Is it? All I've heard him say are things like "it went up a lot so it must be over valued".
If Burry has any valuation knowledge, he's going to get out before Q3 P/D numbers and Q3 earnings. I can't possibly believe he's that dumb as to not understand what's going to happen to Tesla P/E after Q3/Q4 earnings.

Well not really. People are more likely to buy today after a 30% dip than at ATH. So if all things being equal, there's less headwind at current pricing. As what Rob puts it, the 800s would be considered new "price discovery".

Not only that, the market is not as "frothy" as it was 6 months ago. And yet the market value is the same. That's a win in my book. We have been steadily appreciating the entire time.

Don't keep your eyes on the share price, keep them on the execution of the company.

If Burry has any valuation knowledge, he's going to get out before Q3 P/D numbers and Q3 earnings. I can't possibly believe he's that dumb as to not understand what's going to happen to Tesla P/E after Q3/Q4 earnings.
Why Q3? Why not Q2? I expect this to be another record quarter, and while Q3 will be even better with more S and X, the P/E ratio should already improve markedly early July. Or am I mistaken?

No where does it say they only lend shares bought with margin.

If you day trade on margin, or play with options, as many of us here do, we technically did sign off saying they can utilize our shares at anytime, no questions asked, and without prior notification.

Maybe if I had a simple brokerage account with no option/margin features you would be correct, but for the account I signed up for, they can use any and all my shares whenever they want.
that not correct.

US regulatory requirements are that fully paid shares must be segregated from shares bought using broker
margin. they are a handled different internally at broker and externally at dtcc in the omnibus account.

if they are segged, they can’t be used for broker activity, like pledging, or securities lending.

however, you can opt into a fully paid securities lending program in which they can use your segged shares to lend. in this case the broker usually splits the accrued interest with you, the customer, to incentivize the opt in, and increase their “available” pool of lending to the street. as securities lending is among the main drivers (along with commissions) of broker revenue.

in the prior instance (shares paid for with margin) the broker technically owns the shares and can do lend them and keep the accrued interest.