Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, we've been looking forward to Tesla showing a profit with $0 in emissions credits since early 2020. It always seems to be next quarter.

The reality is that Amazon didn't show profits without any qualifying statements until AWS started printing money. The reality is that making and selling cars is a very difficult industry to show a profit in. I don't really expect Tesla to show profits without any qualifying statements until some secondary business like FSD or energy trading comes online, that is, until Tesla finds it's AWS.
I don't know about that. Look at the projections for the next few quarters from @The Accountant and others on this board. They're showing highly profitable results as operating leverage continues to ramp up.

There's enough fat in them to remain profitable even if there are a few unforeseen hiccups.

Did we talk about why Tesla got involved with Bitcoin? Sure, Elon could be enamored with Cyrpto and probably is. But could it be that because Bitcoin consumes so much energy, Tesla is now in the process of making that more efficent? The rapid entry and exit from Bitcoin. conversations around Doge and efficiency make me think something is happening behind the scenes.

Lamborghini is going to burst on to the EV scene in 2030.

Lol, it takes so long because they have to translate e-turd into Italian... :p

Didn't Audi lose out in the corporate bty cell scramble to VW? Guess we know how far down the pecking order Lambo is now, huh?

Last edited:
Forward Observing

Question: does humankind have the backbone to make this happen?

This article alone should cause TSLA to skyrocket to Mars and back, but; there is always a but, but do we as a collective have the will to live. Children be damned, do we have the will to survive? You and I, do we have the will to live?

I am wanting to put on my newly acquired home a Tesla roof. I cannot buy Tesla solar panels or the sought after tiled roof In my location. This will be the third home we will have added solar panels on in the last fifteen years ~ no we do not own more homes. We sold the first home with solar two years back.

FYI ~ a year and a half back I replaced my current roof typical roofing, composite shingles, and as many panels as we could afford. When I say afford, I mean afford a vacation, pre-COVID. Bottom line, in the northwest, my twenty-three panels brought my electric bill down from $200 average down to my new average billing of $35. No, I did not cut down the forest to make that happen. We did replace our twenty-five year old furnace a year ago. The house is all electric.

The question posed above ~ no, we will not; unless you prove me wrong. Instead of hating me, prove me wrong.

Interesting. A while ago I posted:

Trying to figure out Tesla’s Model Y 4680 strategy. Elon seems to have confirmed that Berlin will use 4680.
A few months later Austin should start producing Model Y. Will these be 4680? If yes, then at that point will Tesla be offering two different variants of Model Y in the US, the 4680 from Austin and the 2170 from Freemont? I guess most customers will want they newer better variant... So then Freemont have some downtime to upgrade the line to 4680 also which around 2022 will be proven. That would be a very quick surge in demand for 4680. If not this, then how do you think will they roll out 4680 Model Y in the US?

So let’s revisit this. Will Freemont make 2170 Y while Austin makes 4680 Y? Probably not imo. So good time to do some upgrade in Freemont. Maybe switch Freemont to Model 3 only? I guess Biden’s EV plans should be really good for demand for Model 3. Maybe by using gigacasting, LFP, large scale of Y etc they can squeeze down the price of Model 3 to $29500? $25000?

So let’s revisit this. Will Freemont make 2170 Y while Austin makes 4680 Y? Probably not imo. So good time to do some upgrade in Freemont. Maybe switch Freemont to Model 3 only? I guess Biden’s EV plans should be really good for demand for Model 3. Maybe by using gigacasting, LFP, large scale of Y etc they can squeeze down the price of Model 3 to $29500? $25000?
My guess is Austin will make a LR+ version and ask for more money. Kind of like what is going on with plaid and plaid +.

So this actually worries me a bit since he has also said they still have hiccups reaching full production on 4680. It could end up delaying scaled production on the Model Y at both Austin and Berlin, not to mention that would almost certainly mean we don't see a Cyber truck until 2022. Where are the 4680 lines that are going to be producing all these batteries? We know Panasonic is cranking 2170 out in Nevada and that is the format being used in China also (not sure what format the LFP batteries are, assuming 2170). For us to assume more than token production at either Austin or Berlin they need to have reached a solid production throughput on 4680 cells and these are going to happen on new, unproven lines.

So we should probably temper expectations for any meaningful production this year IMO. Doesn't matter long term because they will figure it out but there is risk here for delays I am not seeing people recognize.

Is it possible that the new 'tent' they are building right now in Fremont will be for a new Model Y line using 4680? When that one is up and running around the time Austin is starting, they shut down the original 2170 line and start converting that one to 4680. There would be minimal overlap of having both 2170 and 4680 versions produced at the same time then.

But yeah, as noted by others, this all depends on getting the new batteries produced in time.

So this actually worries me a bit since he has also said they still have hiccups reaching full production on 4680. It could end up delaying scaled production on the Model Y at both Austin and Berlin, not to mention that would almost certainly mean we don't see a Cyber truck until 2022. Where are the 4680 lines that are going to be producing all these batteries? We know Panasonic is cranking 2170 out in Nevada and that is the format being used in China also (not sure what format the LFP batteries are, assuming 2170). For us to assume more than token production at either Austin or Berlin they need to have reached a solid production throughput on 4680 cells and these are going to happen on new, unproven lines.

So we should probably temper expectations for any meaningful production this year IMO. Doesn't matter long term because they will figure it out but there is risk here for delays I am not seeing people recognize.
Every new giga factory right now has a battery cell production plant. I suspect there will be a new model Y version announced with probably over 400 miles of range with a bigger price tag. Don't think much will change at Fremont since Elon didn't even upgrade model 3s with large casting and that has been proven.

Dont people also just plain expect that volume production of Model Y in Berlin and Austin will ramp slowly anyway? 2022 is about modest production and 2023 is mass production. I assume by mid to late 2022 4680 cells will be being produced in far greater numbers then vehicles in production today to use. Otherwise introduction of Model 2 will have to be delayed.

So IF this was on AP (which is a big if because I don't understand how it can hit an object like this), the cause is undoubtedly texting. I know the FUD won't go away once Tesla starts using the in car camera to watch our eyes, but it will improve safety. No two ways about that. People need to treat AP with more respect.