Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably. However, what at the time seemed like excessively flamboyant engineering proclamations by Elon on twitter very often turned out in the end to be deep and important engineering advancements. So this explicit, and incongruous, micrometer reference could be something more profound than just bragging rights. A for all practical purposes perfect fit and finish is at most a milimeter issue, not something 1000 times smaller.
No, you definitely need sub-millimeter accuracy.

For panels, if you've got 1mm tolerance in your pieces and you need at least 1mm of separation, you'll end up with a 1-5mm gap. If your tolerance is 2mm this increases to 1-9mm!.
And over multiple pieces of the car frame those tolerances compound...

You either need maximum accuracy, or take measures to clean-up/mitigate the effect of these variances.
(Like it's apparently done by some german manufacturers, who laser scan the assembled frame before drilling the door attachement points and adjust their placement to center the door within this specific frame.)

If you achieve perfect assembly with zero tolerances consistently, all those QA and modification steps are obsolete. Even parts could get simpler&cheaper if they dont require any adjustment capabilities. (Hinges, adjustable bumpers, thinner gaskets)
With the basic car frame consisting of a handful of pieces (2 castings, battery and maybe front&rear crash structures) Tesla makes a big step towards this goal.

Last edited:
Because they didn't sell. You may have heard this saying before: "It's not a loss until you sell".

Why would you think this is any different? An impairment charge is recorded on the Balance Sheet, not the Income Statement.

I don't think this is true... Crypto is an indefinite life intangible asset according to US GAAP. Which means there is an impairment test, and any loss would have to be recognized on the GAAP income statement. Any gain is not income until it is sold.

Because they didn't sell. You may have heard this saying before: "It's not a loss until you sell".

Why would you think this is any different? An impairment charge is recorded on the Balance Sheet, not the Income Statement.

This is not correct.

What Tesla actually said they'd do regarding gains or losses when not sold:

Teslas own 10k said:
We will perform an analysis each quarter to identify impairment. If the carrying value of the digital asset exceeds the fair value based on the lowest price quoted in the active exchanges during the period, we will recognise an impairment loss equal to the difference in the consolidated statement of operations.

The cost basis of the digital assets will not be adjusted upward for any subsequent increases in their quoted prices on the active exchanges. Gains (if any) will not be recorded until realised upon sale.

So yes, they will recognize it on the income statement if there's a crypto loss.

Don’t worry about me and my money decisions. I’ve done nothing but buy more shares every $50 lower we go. But it doesn’t mean we have to be content with what’s happening. Remember a lot of Tesla employee need the money they get from options.
I've already pointed out that a low share price is just as likely to benefit employees as a high share price. Please pay attention to the discussion.

Employees profit on stock options based on the difference between the share price when it is granted and when it vests. If the price is too high when it's granted then it can expire worthless. This dip is actually GREAT news for every employee that will have options granted during the dip.

So don't go about crying that the employees need a high stock price.

Return of Karen's Tesla supplying another OEM EV truck rumor?

Wow. Could Ford be compatible with Superchargers? Now wouldn’t that be something? I did think Ford figured out their EV tech kinda quickly considering they had very little experience with it before this F150. So maybe Tesla is supplying even more tech? Like motors? I guess we’ll have to wait until tonight...

Let me expound upon this discussion of “low” and “high” stock prices from the perspective not of an employee, but of an outside investor, as follows:

I own a gazillion shares I bought when the price was a bazillionth of what it is now. I hold these shares because it is apparent to me that as time marches on, the share price will continue to rise at a risk-weighted amount greater than that of alternative investments.

However, I have just come into a slug of “new” cash (sold some real estate). ===>It is in my immediate, short-term best interest that the price of TSLA be below what it was yesterday or last week and so forth<==== so that I more profitably can invest these proceeds into Tesla.

The same logic applies equally accurately to employee-shareholders.

tenor.gif

I expect this will stabilize bitcoin, but cause some (more) volatility in the stock.

Reactions: saniflash
Wow. Could Ford be compatible with Superchargers? Now wouldn’t that be something? I did think Ford figured out their EV tech kinda quickly considering they had very little experience with it before this F150. So maybe Tesla is supplying even more tech? Like motors? I guess we’ll have to wait until tonight...
I felt the same way wrt Ford's "rapid" understanding of battery chemistry, BMS and other considerations in order to get a purported 300 miles of range with a battery around 100KWH. Audi and Jaguar were only able to get 200 mi, with considerable investment of time, and money in roughly the same battery capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger