Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those links make it sound like EV chargers have made it to the national parks. I just spent 4 days in Great Basin National Park and there are none there. Ely Nevada is the closest town of any size - 70 miles away - and there is no supercharger in Ely. As a result, I spent a total of 7-8 hours over the four days charging at 14-50 outlets. And that wasn't to cover any daily driving as our friends (who met us there) drove us around in their ICE. That charging was simply to be able to get back to the supercharger network when we left today. I'm not sure I'll be repeating that experience. I now appreciate supercharging more than I thought possible.

My guess is BMW....
I agree. There is no louder cry for help than the objectively awful grills they are pushing now. Nobody can get away with this. Absolutely not sustainable. They are SCREAMING out in anguish.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210612-205021_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210612-205021_Chrome.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 201
Behold the Tesla Killer! The Mazda mx-30: All New Mazda MX-30 Electric Car & Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle | Mazda USA

"Mazda says the SUV will come with a 35.5-kWh lithium-ion battery pack and a 144-hp front-mounted electric motor."

Starts at 30k$ and runs up to 45k$ for touring model, so they are shooting to come into the bottom end here. That's brand appropriate at least. But they are gonna get 100-130 miles of range out of that. It looks to yet again have an infotainment system straight out of the 90s. Haha it uses a rotary in the hybrid to charge the battery (not drivetrain). The wankel is incredibly inefficient I thought. Odd choice.
Holy crap that's a rebadged Mach e. They're all going down.

Those links make it sound like EV chargers have made it to the national parks. I just spent 4 days in Great Basin National Park and there are none there. Ely Nevada is the closest town of any size - 70 miles away - and there is no supercharger in Ely. As a result, I spent a total of 7-8 hours over the four days charging at 14-50 outlets. And that wasn't to cover any daily driving as our friends (who met us there) drove us around in their ICE. That charging was simply to be able to get back to the supercharger network when we left today. I'm not sure I'll be repeating that experience. I now appreciate supercharging more than I thought possible.
Biden wants to deploy 500,000 EV charging stations across the country. Seems like National parks, rest stops, and other government facilities would be a good place to start.

Bully for you to be a pioneer in an EV desert

What a car!!!, but a “Well OK then” moment for me(Since plaid is way out of my budget)

The thing I am looking forward to is how these deliveries and estimates for all Model S deliveries the next few weeks will effect the P&D report and the top/bottom line. Wondering if @The Accountant has revised his P&D numbers over the last week/hour?
I will have a new update in a week or so; however, I do want to highlight an expected Q2 milestone.
In Q2, Tesla reaches GAAP profits with only Model 3/Y sales. In other words, even if there were no Regulatory Credits and no Models S/X sales, Telsa would still be GAAP profitable (about $400m). Models S/X sales & Reg Credits are icing on the cake.

the instructions he linked say "..these buttons are not available until you press one of the gear buttons to activate it."
(at end it also mentions that it auto-deactivates if you don't select a gear in 10 secs.)

it's unclear because part of the text is cutoff in the screenshot you'll need the full text of that manual section to have a better idea and an actual car to test to be sure.

It' starts by saying "In most situations, these buttons are not available..." which is an odd way to start if they are going to be usable for daily use.

I agree. There is no louder cry for help than the objectively awful grills they are pushing now. Nobody can get away with this. Absolutely not sustainable. They are SCREAMING out in anguish.
BMW2020201920182017
Workforce at year-end1120,726126,016134,682129,932
Share of women in management positions in the BMW Group217.817.217.216.0
Revenues [mn. €]98,990104,21096,85598,282
Earnings before taxes (EBT) [mn. €]5,2227,1189,62710,675
EBT margin [%]5.36.89.910.9
Net profit for the year [mn. €]3,8575,0227,0648,675
Capital expenditure3 [mn. €]3,9225,6505,0294,688
Capital expenditure ratio [%]4.05.45.24.8
Research & development expenditure (HGB) [mn. €]6,2796,4196,8906,108
Research and development ratio (HGB) [%]6.36.27.16.2

also
EBIT margin [%]2.74.97.29.2

I guess Germans read right to left. Anyway look at that trajectory for EBT margin % and they haven't even net increased R&D. What could they possibly need more R&D for? Admittedly that's over 3x Tesla which is all by itself rather amusing. I won't comment on row #2. Maybe Tesla can offer some of the bats from the Berlin forest to help their management design front grills.

edit: I'll stop now on this theme.

Last edited:
'it's unclear because...'
it is made clear in the paragraph right before that one.
"In addition to manually shifting gears on the touchscreen, you can select a gear by pressing a button located on the center console. In most situations, these buttons are not available until you press one of the gear buttons to activate it. When active, the LEDs illuminate... yada yada yada'.
So it isn't only available for emergency use when the touchscreen is unavailable.

it's unclear because part of the text is cutoff in the screenshot you'll need the full text of that manual section to have a better idea and an actual car to test to be sure.

It' starts by saying "In most situations, these buttons are not available..." which is an odd way to start if they are going to be usable for daily use.
To make the gear buttons appear, press both scroll-wheels at once

I think I can see GM's EV strategy. They are collecting letters to have the ultimate stock ticker! They already have L, M&N, if they can collect an "O" and a "P" they can do a corporate make-over using the ticker "LMNOP" which is the best part of that children's song, "The ABC's".

An absolutely brilliant strategy that will appeal to the child inside all of us! What they won't tell us is it also represents their corporate strategy to Leverage Media Nepotism Over actual Proficiency. :oops:

GM is jealous of Stellantis and their STLA ticker.

You may want to rethink the Ford in there. When I think of reliability, I think of brands like Honda and Lexus, not Ford.
It's not that I think they are reliable that I mention them, it's because everyone is saying the Mach-e is 2nd to the Model Y and the F-150 lightning will be 2nd to the Cybertruck.

and after seeing all the hoses in the Mach-e tear down, it was on my mind that Ford will be less reliable.

I'm not holding them up as examples to emulate, just saying Tesla beats them and others hold them up as the next best thing, especially in the same breath after saying that Ford has better fit and finish and is probably going to be more reliable (if if it isn't).

Last edited:
Behold the Tesla Killer! The Mazda mx-30: All New Mazda MX-30 Electric Car & Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle | Mazda USA

"Mazda says the SUV will come with a 35.5-kWh lithium-ion battery pack and a 144-hp front-mounted electric motor."

Starts at 30k$ and runs up to 45k$ for touring model, so they are shooting to come into the bottom end here. That's brand appropriate at least. But they are gonna get 100-130 miles of range out of that. It looks to yet again have an infotainment system straight out of the 90s. Haha it uses a rotary in the hybrid to charge the battery (not drivetrain). The wankel is incredibly inefficient I thought. Odd choice.

Prime advantages of the Wankel engine from wikipedia that apply for a hybrid:
  • A far higher power to weight ratio than a piston engine
  • Approximately one third of the size of a piston engine of equivalent power output
  • Easier to package in small engine spaces than an equivalent piston engine
  • Operating with almost no vibration (No reciprocating parts)
  • Not prone to engine-knock
  • Cheaper to mass-produce, because the engine contains fewer parts
  • Wider speed range giving greater adaptability
  • Can use fuels of wider octane ratings
  • Does not suffer from "scale effect" to limit its size.

Last edited:
To make the gear buttons appear, press both scroll-wheels at once

if you do that wrong though the center screen reboots, not a method your average user wants to risk doing wrong on a daily basis.

Also you are saying you want to two hand grip the steering yoke and then take a hand off the yoke to move to the center buttons within 10 seconds to avoid using a one handed motion to swipe up or down on the screen in even less time?

1623557277911.png

Last edited: