Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As predicted, Sandy Munro just announced via his Youtube channel (45 min ago) that he is launching a crowd-funding campaign to purchase a Plaid Model S for a tear down.

$13 for a bumper sticker, 10K need to be sold to raise $130K for the purchase. Sandy says he'll cover the tear down costs:

Model S Plaid: Sandy's Plan

Cheers!
Do we become startup investors, and share in the profit of selling the information gathered from the teardown? Or do I get a signed door handle?

I have mixed feelings about Sandy doing a Plaid tear down. Good publicity, but reveals at least some Tesla tech advances to the competition without them having to pay for it.

Good, they need all the help they can get!

It will be better for the transition to sustainable transport if they are are only 3-4 years behind rather than 5-6 years behind!

Felt necessary:
5defyw.jpg

A valid point, @CorneliusXX .

My thought is, in the goal of electrifying and radically improving the pickup segment, Tesla has aimed for something around 60%-80% of the total market. This excludes, like you say, cab chassis, but also full 8' bed, UTEs, European road-worthy, etc.

Of course if Tesla were to take over even 10% of the annual worldwide total of ~4-5 million pickups (450,000), they'd be thrilled - as would us investors! They don't need to aim for 100%. Aiming for 60% and getting a sixth of that would do fine.

I'm kinda surprised by this early, unscientific poll of 28,000 respondents by Piplsay showing interest in Cybertruck and Ford F150 Lightning is about equal - again, a promising sign.

View attachment 673716

Here's my takeaway from this. If you consider full size trucks a set pie of ~2.3m that is the same sales were in 2020, and that over time, will go fully electric. 24% is ~550k sales per year. 34% consider the specs the most important factor, where Tesla is consistently the top today in all their vehicles, that would be ~780k sales per year. Now the 2.3m is unlikely to stay static for a few reasons, first 2020 was a down year from 2019 where nearly 2.5m full size trucks were sold. Second, there will be conquests and an expanding market from Tesla fans, EV fans, full size SUV owners that don't have an EV option (yet), potentially expansion into other markets that are not usually into trucks to the same degree as Americans, plus this excludes Canada and Mexico sales. All that probably points to a TAM of ~3m vehicles per year. 24% there is ~720k and 34% is ~1m. The CT alone has the potential to equal Tesla's total 2021 sales by sometime in 2023/2024... at even higher margins.

Reactions: bpjod
Has it been two weeks yet?
So this guy is talking to God and ask, "Hey God what does 100 million years seem like to you?"
God answered, " One hundred million years ? That's like a second to me."
Then the man ask, "Hey God, what's 100 million dollars seem like to you?"
One hundred million dollars? It seems like a penny to me."
So the guy says, "Hey God could I borrow a penny?"
And God answers, "Sure. Just a second."

I conclude Elon is a demi god.

Part Deux:

From YouTube description:
"McLaren P1 owner described the UP Tesla Plaid passing him as if he was standing still. Seeing is believing and so we've shared this video to witness the uncompromising performance of Tesla technology in a racing environment vs the world's best hypercars. In this video, you will see a Porsche 991 GT3 RS, a McLaren Senna and McLaren P1 get rapidly left behind in the Plaid's electron trail."

The unofficial rumor is a lap time at Laguna Seca of 1:29.9... here are some cars to compare it to:

It defeats all but the most trackiest of track cars. This is a four door sedan...
And that's with Randy already commenting that the current runs are purely to get a feel for the car and to tune it for Pikes Peak. They will come back to Laguna after that to see if they can set some records.

I would expect a lot of haters from the race enthusiasts who have spent alot of money to get inferior performance with “super”cars running on Dino juice.

I’m not surprised that the yoke isn’t ideal for a driver who has done many thousands of laps around lacuna using a specific style of controls.
Randy Pobst is not who the yoke was designed for. It’s designed for the average car enthusiast to make everyday driving more enjoyable.

I can’t wait to try one.