Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question for US residents. If Tesla produced a smaller vehicle like the one in this article for $25-30,000, would it sell well in the US?
View attachment 674853
If it’s safe and low-maintenance (as it almost certainly will be) it would be a great car for teens going off to college. Every dad would get one for them.

edit: mine got me a Ford Pinto 💣 💥

Last edited:
I'll be pointing to this when someone says, "I live in an apartment and therefore can't think about having an EV"

But to be fair, article does NOT mention the addition of chargers, but I can't see how they wouldn't install chargers along with the solar and batteries.
It's exactly what I did. I've got another conversation going on Nextdoor (lots of interest, very positive) and I just shared that link with the same comment. I don't know why they didn't include charging in the article, could it be still too soon bc EVs are still out of their price range? Watch, it will be a mad race when Apt owners realize they are losing occupancy without some charging spots. It's inevitable once these drop in price and used EVs get out there.

One person on Nextdoor mentioned how they should require solar with EVs to help ease the load on the grid. Not a bad idea - a package deal. They really are worried about grid stressing here (everywhere). EVs could easily be targeted on social media for the next power outage. Batteries/Solar/EVs might be rolling out together, just not evenly for every sub-station I would think. Gonna create hot spots. Can power companies figure this out you think? Any confidence there?

Reactions: StealthP3D

Attachments

• E6CC272E-F5B4-420E-8718-36E54CE9170B.png
    E6CC272E-F5B4-420E-8718-36E54CE9170B.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
While I don't see Canoo as a threat to Tesla & I don't own / never owned any of their stock, I can't help my self from liking their car / van thingy.

Not in a "sell my Tesla, & TSLA and buy one" kind of way, but more in a "that's a cute puppy that you gently pat on the head" kind of way.

I have a question for US residents. If Tesla produced a smaller vehicle like the one in this article for $25-30,000, would it sell well in the US?
View attachment 674853
Yes, it would sell well.
In North America a compact EV pickup truck would sell well too.
It used to be that a compact pickup truck was cheaper than a car, up until the 2000s, then they all became midsized pickup trucks.
Ford may or may not have an eye to this with their new hybrid Ford Maverick pickup, smaller than the Ford Ranger.

OT
I bought an '86 Nissan pickup in '94 for $3,000 with 100,000 miles on it from a guy who worked at Honeywell, and had used it to go to work and back. I sold it in 2007 with 450,000 miles on it for $2,800 ( was asking $3,000, but the buyer had the cash in $100 bills)

While I don't see Canoo as a threat to Tesla & I don't own / never owned any of their stock, I can't help my self from liking their car / van thingy.

Not in a "sell my Tesla, & TSLA and buy one" kind of way, but more in a "that's a cute puppy that you gently pat on the head" kind of way.

I agree I really hope they succeed somehow - love the design. I wouldn't switch from my Tesla either but would be nice to see those on the streets

Edit: But I also want Tesla to absolutely crush all competitors for the stonks. Bit of a dilemma

View attachment 674853
It would sell a decent number, primarily in urban areas but...in practically every major global market it would sell enormous quantities. Apart from Europe, South America, China, practically the whole of Asia and the Middle East, much of Africa...basically this size and the rough pricing would hit major markets for most of the world. The Performance version would be a dominate factor in the Hot Hatch category, that contributes the majority of Gross Margin in the category.

This vehicle would sell in the millions nearly everywhere.

It would sell a decent number, primarily in urban areas but...in practically every major global market it would sell enormous quantities. Apart from Europe, South America, China, practically the whole of Asia and the Middle East, much of Africa...basically this size and the rough pricing would hit major markets for most of the world. The Performance version would be a dominate factor in the Hot Hatch category, that contributes the majority of Gross Margin in the category.

This vehicle would sell in the millions nearly everywhere.

Yes, imagine a Plaid or even a Ludicrous 2; that would be a fun car.

At launch they could drop Model S plaid 0-60 to 1.8; they could have a Model 3 plaid do 0-60 in 2.5, and a Model 2 plaid do it in 2.9.

Would be a very high demand, high margin product.

Likely because since the MS Plaid is delivering power that approaches the physics/physical limits, it’s even more about the driver. Randy is arguably one of the best drivers and it must be exciting for him to have access to this new level of (almost production) performance.
He's a damn sight better than most out there..but he isn't as good as he used to be.