Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is this crap in my Facebook menu!!! <shakes fist at Zuckerberg>
Screenshot_20210619-210942_Facebook.png

Don’t recall this being linked. Cars Insider describes Model Y NHTSA crash test results (May 5, 2021. They're good 😊).

New Shortsville times headline: “recall linked to model y crash”— See I am more than qualified to work for one of the hedge funds or large banks or whoever needs market manipulation….

Most normies have no idea just how stupid and lame ICE cars are going to seem in a few years... By 2027 Tesla's performance lineup will probably look something like this:

Model S/X Plaid: 1,500hp AWD & 500 miles of range for ~$140k
Model 3/Y Plaid: 900hp AWD & 450 miles of range for ~$70k
Model 2/Z Plaid: 600hp AWD & 400miles of range for ~$45k
I personally hope the 2/z is one single vehicle, with a large frunk, high like the Y, but with less taper and more rear hatch. designed as a RWD only to maximize usable space in the frunk and cabin. In other words more interior space per inch of wheelbase, shorter wheelbase vs the 3 of course. This will make it far more attractive to European and Chinese city dwellers. It might be a hot hatch and very fast compared to rivals , but it will not be plaid/ludicrous because it will be rear wheel drive only.

edit: $29k is the new $25k.

Last edited:
Wow. The Tesla absolutely crushes all those cars

While I'm here and it's the weekend, I came across this video of a one-stall hydrogen filling station. How will they ever supply enough hydrogen if those cars become successful and there are lots on the road?
The only reason ICE car makers want to go hydrogen is that they can stick with the way things are - all they do is to make cars. The fuel and infrastructure?! Let someone else worry about that.

With EVs, and competing with a such a forward thinking EV makers such as Tesla, you don't just need to figure where to source the battery, but also how to recharge them, how the station would work seamlessly with your cars, and how to make those stations to make that happen.

Tesla team deserves a lot more credit than what people want to believe. Taking everything else aside, like advanced batteries, FSD... etc that we still don't have access to, just judging by what Tesla is currently offering for their EVs, with its charging network that works seamlessly with Tesla account. It might not seem like much, but coming from my experience of developing backend solutions for e-commerce, I cannot imagine the work that went into that to make it running so smoothly. Every step, from initiating connection/handshaking between station and vehicle, verifying Tesla account and eligibility, start charging, end charging, billing... etc, can be a point that can possibly break. And doing such in an industrial-scale application will add further complexity to it.

ICE car makers don't have the resource and expertise to do all that. And they'd hate to become the newbie again after decades in business. That's why they want to go hydrogen, even though it makes ZERO sense from every other direction.

The only reason ICE car makers want to go hydrogen is that they can stick with the way things are - all they do is to make cars. The fuel and infrastructure?! Let someone else worry about that.

With EVs, and competing with a such a forward thinking EV makers such as Tesla, you don't just need to figure where to source the battery, but also how to recharge them, how the station would work seamlessly with your cars, and how to make those stations to make that happen.

Tesla team deserves a lot more credit than what people want to believe. Taking everything else aside, like advanced batteries, FSD... etc that we still don't have access to, just judging by what Tesla is currently offering for their EVs, with its charging network that works seamlessly with Tesla account. It might not seem like much, but coming from my experience of developing backend solutions for e-commerce, I cannot imagine the work that went into that to make it running so smoothly. Every step, from initiating connection/handshaking between station and vehicle, verifying Tesla account and eligibility, start charging, end charging, billing... etc, can be a point that can possibly break. And doing such in an industrial-scale application will add further complexity to it.

ICE car makers don't have the resource and expertise to do all that. And they'd hate to become the newbie again after decades in business. That's why they want to go hydrogen, even though it makes ZERO sense from every other direction.

I'm not death-riding ICE car makers, it will be a shame if some of these iconic brands and models disappear.

An EV VW Beetle and Kombi, will be great additions.

But the slow pace of EV adoption by legacy auto provides an opportunity for Tesla to grow market-share rapidly, with low risk.
If all car makers were switched on, the mission would be making more progress, but Tesla would be facing some competition.

Hydrogen is an attempt by the Fossil Fuel industry to remain relevant, and maybe 10-15 years ago it looked like it may develop into a viable option.
But the costs and limitations of Hydrogen for land transport are now well understood, it makes zero sense to keep persisting with that option.

The pace of outbound logistics has picked up tremendously at Giga Shanghai since the new East extension road and canal bridge have opened for traffic:

I have never seen so many car carrier trucks come and go with such a rapid turnaround.

Cheers!

I also wonder if they may make a new logistics lot on the far East side, you can see a possible location right at the end of the video.

The only reason to do that is if they want to build something on top of the current lot.

Not sure I follow why.
I do see Hydrogen sustaining the combustion engine with pistons and the sump oil, but not many Fossils Fuels. And we already know who has the skills and resources to make ICE relevant again.
Steam reformation. Uses natural gas and releases ~10 tons of CO2 for every ton of hydrogen produced.

But don’t worry, they’ll sequester it.

Not sure I follow why.
I do see Hydrogen sustaining the combustion engine with pistons and the sump oil, but not many Fossils Fuels. And we already know who has the skills and resources to make ICE relevant again.
It is estimated that as much as 95% of the hydrogen currently produced in the US is derived from Natural Gas. The Natural Gas industry knows it is now sitting on larger stranded assetS than the coal industry when the Levelized Cost of Energy is considered, so any and every new market is needed to prop them up.

I am now beginning to wonder if we are about to see a new line of oil-based construction products designed to replaced unnecessarily over-priced wood-based construction materials........i.e. a planned phase in of a new market for oil by escalating wood prices. Much of the new building trim materials are already plastic based. Today I bought a new shovel, a new rake, and a new tile spade for less than a single sheet of OSB. Nobody saw that coming a couple years ago, and nobody cutting or hauling trees in Idaho is making much more money than they were a couple years ago either. I built our Gothic barn when OSB was $8 a sheet. Now it is $80/sheet. Planned obsolescence?