Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Highlights:

And this car. Marone. While much has been made of the Plaid’s straight-line acceleration—0-60 mph in 1.99 seconds and ¼-mile time of 9.2 seconds, both records for a series-production automobile—not enough has been said about its lateral acceleration, its race car-like roadholding and mechanical grip. Forget planking. Route 299 is the core workout you’ve been looking for.

Keeping score? The Plaid lays claim to being the quickest/fastest production sedan in the history of the ¼ mile; the hardest accelerating; the most aero efficient; with the fastest charging of any production EV. At a 250 kW Supercharger, the Plaid can recharge at a rate equivalent to 1,000 miles of range per hour—or 187 miles gained in 15 minutes. The Plaid also has up to 10 teraflops of processing power backing its 17-inch center widescreen and other displays.

And it answers some questions:

For all its invention, the Plaid also consolidates past gains, almost as if Tesla were—gulp—a real car company. While the star of the latest Battery Day was the new 4860 cell, the flagship sedan will continue using an upgraded version of the 18650 batteries it’s had since Job 1. While the cooling systems are vastly better, the pack is still a “bag of potatoes,” one engineer said—meaning the cells themselves don’t carry any structural load, as they will in later Tesla designs.
99 TeslaPoints to the first one here who demonstrates his or her Tesla now is named Sack o’ Potatoes. It would be one of the best ever. And as a non-Californian, I give a nod to this poster’s mention of Rte 299 - although Rte 36 I enjoy even more…but we’re veering off topic, if not completely over the center line.

After being on the receiving end of a wave of negative news reports in recent months, things seem to be looking up for Tesla China. Amidst the efforts of Tesla’s legal team in China to weed out false reports and inaccuracies posted online about the company, a local news outlet has recently stepped forward to debunk one of the most unfounded rumors about Tesla’s vehicles.

People Auto Market, an online subsidiary of People’s Daily, the largest newspaper group in China, recently covered Tesla with a positive outlook. In a recent post, the news outlet highlighted that the pervading rumors of Tesla’s alleged “brake failure” incidents were false. The motoring publication accomplished this by testing the Model 3 and Model Y and having the vehicles stop at 60, 80, and 100 km/h (37, 49, and 62 mph).

No urgent need to post this following comment, I'd just like to point out to everyone that Zach's CV is published on the Tesla.com website, here:

Zachary Kirkhorn | Tesla Investor Relations

Zachary Kirkhorn​

Zach is Master of Coin of Tesla and served as our Chief Financial Officer since March 2019. Previously, Zach served in various finance positions continuously since joining Tesla in March 2010, other than between August 2011 and June 2013 during which he attended business school, including most recently as Vice President, Finance, Financial Planning and Business Operations from December 2018 to March 2019. Zach holds dual B.S.E. degrees in economics and mechanical engineering and applied mechanics from the University of Pennsylvania and an M.B.A. from Harvard University.

So Zach is not merely a bean counter; he also has a pocket protector PACKED FULL of sharp pencils... ;)

Cheers!

P.S. All of Tesla's Corporate Officers and Directors have similar CV pages at Tesla.com

Um, er, so what? Two of my doctors did their undergrad work at Caltech. That doesn't make them scientists or engineers. It means they are pretty much sure to be quite smart and fairly well educated, as I'm sure Zach is. But Zach's a bean counter. He'll never be CEO. He *should* never be CEO.

Warning, Electrek article, but important if true:
Do we have more reliable or primary sources, like some Norwegian outlet?
Of course, each non-Tesla will have to be registered to the Tesla Supercharging network before being able to charge and pay. Please leave your credentials here. Name, Car, Vin, Credit Card, email. Et cetera.

Next day the new non-Tesla SuperCharger users will receive a mail like this:

Good day, Mrs./Mr. Xyz,

Thanks for using the Tesla SuperCharger network. Unfortunately only a few of the over 25.000 SuperChargers are open for use by you.

But isn’t is time anyhow to switch your wobbly EQC/slow moving Taycan/low range Polestar/faulty Mach E/lagging software ID.X/driving drama BMW i /outfashioned I-Pace/state funded Bolt *) for a real Tesla?

*): Please circle your problem car.

I truly think exposing half baked cars to the world of Tesla is a potential nightmare for other car manufacturers. Might induce Tesla to make full use of opportunities.

:)

So MMs are doing their normal morning push to get TSLA back in line (aiming for $650?) but it's being resisted so far. Wonder if they'll try again later in the day when volume tapers off?

Lol, they won't get their 650, but shortzes and technical traders may try for the Upper-BB. Still FOMO in effect w. <5 days til P&D providing buying interest: (good volume today)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2021-06-25.11-05.png

Cheers!

I'm digressing. My main point is (for those new to options hearing tales of low hanging fruit): it's not as easy as some make it sound. Handling options with relatively low risk requires "orders of magnitude" more time and effort than buying shares whenever you can and holding them for years.

I do both, but it's like 85% shares and 15% options. Whenever the options grow too large (first world problems) I convert some to shares/dry powder to de-leverage.

One fairly simple method, esp if you're someone who already has decent holdings but doesn't use margin much or at all- do weekly buy/writes just a tiny bit above the SP.

The premium should always provide a profit over your interest for the week (how much will depend on IV and such), if it exercises then even more profit, if it doesn't sell again next week. The only risk (again assuming you don't use a massive % of your available margin) is if there's a BIG drop in a single week, but even then the downside is you have 100 extra shares (and can still usually keep ahead of interest with premiums- and it'll eventually go back up since they're shares in a great company).

This makes you a few bucks each week without touching your "real" shares you are HODLing.

(Just make sure for weeks you get assigned you assign the right shares)

Of course, each non-Tesla will have to be registered to the Tesla Supercharging network before being able to charge and pay. Please leave your credentials here. Name, Car, Vin, Credit Card, email. Et cetera.

Next day the new non-Tesla SuperCharger users will receive a mail like this:

Good day, Mrs./Mr. Xyz,

Thanks for using the Tesla SuperCharger network. Unfortunately only a few of the over 25.000 SuperChargers are open for use by you.

But isn’t is time anyhow to switch your wobbly EQC/slow moving Taycan/low range Polestar/faulty Mach E/lagging software ID.X/driving drama BMW i /outfashioned I-Pace/state funded Bolt *) for a real Tesla?

*): Please circle your problem car.

I truly think exposing half baked cars to the world of Tesla is a potential nightmare for other car manufacturers. Might induce Tesla to make full use of opportunities.

:)

The SC screen should display the average charging time by Maker, Model :)
& include it in the phone App and bills as well

Open interest is all open contracts. They could have been opened months or even years ago for certain expirations. Volume is the number of contracts traded today only.
For example the Jan 2023 1000 strike leap has an open interest of 10233, and volume might be 50 for the day.

Even more important is to realise that data source only updates Open Interest (OI) once per day, at about 07:00 ET on business days.

So the OI interest is always at least 1 day old, and we NEVER get the final OI for Fridays, because the site doesn't provide access to data on expired Options.

"Miserable, but Free": any Country song-writers out there? Copyright fair use is granted. :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
Moderator:
I’m never going to go after any poster for ambiguously using “GM”, leading the reader to wonder if it refers to a car company or an income statement metric (as it’s usually obvious), but - in that the following abbreviation is dominantly within TMC a Tesla-specific one, PLEASE do not use “SC” in your posts. I long have championed “SvC” for Service Centers and “SpC” for Superchargers, but anything that distinguishes those two very different terms is how you should treat your fellow readers.

My mother's IRA has over $2m in cash, and I have been making her around $20k/month to live off of selling very safe, way OTM monthly Puts secured by her cash. I have 40 530 strike Puts that I have sold for her expiring at different times over the next 30 days. As those get close to expiration, I either let them expire worthless, or I roll them another month out, maybe change the strike a little, and make her more spending money. At her age, I don't want to buy TSLA stock with her funds just in case.
Exactly the same here! I manage my mom's options and the TSLA Puts income (after taxes/fees) is more than enough to pay for her monthly groceries + caregiver salary. For extra safety and less use of her cash, I roll OTM Bull Put Spread instead Cash Secured Put. Didn't invest the account in TSLA stock coz she is in advanced age - steady income is priority over growth. Thank you, Elon.

Etrade charges me 5 bucks per contract trade (meaning no matter whether you buy 1 or 10 or 100 contracts they charge 5 bucks).
They price-matched Robinhood and charge nothing for stock trades (One of their reps told me they basically F'd up in 2020 by doing this and a few other things).

Truth be told, your broker is godawful.

@Artful Dodger I use Questrade (our US and global friends probably haven't heard of them, but you have - Canada's no.1 online broker). Their Options fees seem reasonable - see also below - although I am paranoid about options and haven't - so @Lycanthrope I'm happy to give up that "free money" for now (and freefall losses too!)

1624635046597.png