Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TL;DR: Electric cars more popular than ever, and both 1st and 2nd place on the list show Tesla kicking some serious gas.

"Tesla is again the real winner with 71 percent of the electric car market in this period. The automaker's share of the market has increased slightly, which is being attributed to the popularity of the Model Y. 53,102 of all the EVs registered in the January to April period were Model Y vehicles. In second place was the Model 3..."

Exactly the same here! I manage my mom's options and the TSLA Puts income (after taxes/fees) is more than enough to pay for her monthly groceries + caregiver salary. For extra safety and less use of her cash, I roll OTM Bull Put Spread instead Cash Secured Put. Didn't invest the account in TSLA stock coz she is in advanced age - steady income is priority over growth. Thank you, Elon.
Not sure what numbers you're working with but I wouldn't ignore the allure of your moms portfolio having a few hundred shares of TSLA. Not advice, however selling CC's during high IV and local peaks gives some opportunities when selling Puts may be less desirable. Just a thought as it's a double win as the stock climbs but doesn't outrun your strike. Win-Win.
Of course I'm biased and my crystal ball has a perpetual green hue if you catch my drift.

Do you have any revised numbers on the shares needed by MMs for delta hedging the options expiring tomorrow, 06/25?
As always the figures are available below.

There is a little less than 9 million shares referencing the net options expiring today. I see this as sell side pressure as most of these option holders are looking to reduce deltas by taking profit or rolling to lower delta calls farther out.

675, where we are trading has the odds in it's favor I guess.

Hard to say how this one slipped by WSJ editorial board,
“To anyone still grumbling about body-panel gaps, please. Our car was built like a nuclear sub, and sounded a bit like one too, with a bathyspheric quiet provided by acoustic glass in all the windows. Honestly, all you hear is tire noise.”

One of my most memorable auto ads ever was for Rolls Royce on the back of a National Geographic probably from the 50s:
“All you can hear is the swish the tyres”

Not even behind a paywall… heads will roll
… Turns out the pay wall is there, somehow I escaped

Last edited:
There is a paywall, can only read a paragraph before the subscribe button appears.
Sorry, it wasn’t there for me, as you can see by my link where are you can read a little further even in the preview…, Anyhow I will edit it out

Here’s a little more of his writing that I liked, don’t know if this is allowed but I’ll give it a try…

SOMATIC GRAVICEPTION provides us with our sense of movement. It’s how we keep the meatball in the center of our personal vector state. In addition to the balance receptors in our inner ears, humans have graviceptors throughout the body that can feel shifts in bodily fluids such as blood, caused by acceleration.

And so my story begins, with my viscera sloshing like a tanker of trout fingerlings, behind the steering yoke of a 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid. Between Eureka and Redding, California Route 299’s freshly paved, generously cambered sweepers are like the Porsche Curves at Le Mans that go on for 25 miles. Thank you, California taxpayers.

Why does the Plaid—a reference to the movie ‘Spaceballs’ that still makes nerds laugh—need to be so fast?
And this car. Marone. While much has been made of the Plaid’s straight-line acceleration—0-60 mph in 1.99 seconds and ¼-mile time of 9.2 seconds, both records for a series-production automobile—not enough has been said about its lateral acceleration, its race car-like roadholding and mechanical grip. Forget planking. Route 299 is the core workout you’ve been looking for.
And the tires—custom-compounded Michelin Pilot Cup Sport 4S, on 21-inch wheels—they are so...beautiful.”

Keeping score? The Plaid lays claim to being the quickest/fastest production sedan in the history of the ¼ mile; the hardest accelerating; the most aero efficient; with the fastest charging of any production EV. At a 250 kW Supercharger, the Plaid can recharge at a rate equivalent to 1,000 miles of range per hour—or 187 miles gained in 15 minutes. The Plaid also has up to 10 teraflops of processing power backing its 17-inch center widescreen and other displays.

One last, unfathomable number: 1,020 hp, by way of three AC permanent-magnet motors, one in the front and two in the back. These watermelon-sized machines are wrapped in carbon-fiber sleeves under two giga-Pascals’ pressure. The overwrap allows the motors to spin up to 18,000 rpm and withstand centrifugal forces up to 250,000 pounds without flying apart, thus eliminating the need for a ratio-changing gearset to reach high speed.

And we haven’t even heard from James Clerk Maxwell yet. The ferrous alloys in conventional motor cages “steals flux,” said one Tesla engineer—which is to say, reduces torque. “But carbon [fiber] is like air to flux.” Unlike other motors, these machines produce peak power all the way to peak rpm.

As so, the Plaid’s signature trick: the instant, seamless, soft-singing surge of scarcely endurable thrust, from whenever, until you see Jesus. On a deserted road in Nevada, I romped it from a slow roll to 160 mph in less than 18 seconds and I wasn’t even at 100%. Good brakes, too.”

OK, if you want more you’ve got to do the paywall thing or find it someplace

Last edited:
Where have I heard this terminology before?
20210625_135737.jpg

This is from Dec 2020 but I don't think it has been posted here before.

2020 has been an amazing year for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) shareholders. The electric-auto maker's stock price started the year at $418 per share, and on Dec. 7, it fetched more than $625 per share. That would be pretty impressive even if it weren't for the 5-for-1 stock split that Tesla did at the end of August, which has given investors in Tesla's stock a roughly 650% gain year-to-date.
2020's stock split came as a surprise for some Tesla shareholders, especially given CEO Elon Musk's lack of interest in discussing the subject in the past. Yet now that Tesla has shown that it can pull the trigger and split its shares when the time is right, some investors wonder if the company won't do it again in 2021 -- especially if there's an incentive for it to do so.

[...]

I can see only one reason Tesla would do a stock split in 2021: to gain admission to the Dow. With a stock price above $625, Tesla won't get an invitation because its influence over the Dow would be too great.
But at $125 per share -- after another 5-for-1 split -- there's a compelling case for Tesla to join the Dow. The average hasn't had an automaker stock in its ranks since the previous incarnation of General Motors (NYSE:GM) filed for bankruptcy protection more than a decade ago. For a benchmark that claims to contain industrial stocks, that's a glaring omission -- and one that Tesla could reasonably remedy.
Tesla shareholders shouldn't hold out too much hope for the possibility of another stock split. As long as the share price keeps going up and the pioneer keeps successfully bringing new electric vehicles to the auto industry, few of those shareholders will be too disappointed.

Frankly when it comes to fsd, take whatever Elon says as a grain of salt. This is the "step change" everything is better beta that became an "alpha with major issues. "

Elon tweet said “obvious issues”, not “major issues”.

As a software developer you prefer obvious issues as they generally have obvious fixes.