Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Apparently you disagree with Zach as to his own career. Wikipedia has his bio: Zach Kirkhorn - Wikipedia, as does his LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/in/zachkirkhorn.

Wikipedia says:
Education
From 2002 to 2006, Kirkhorn studied both Economics at The Wharton School and Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics at the University of Pennsylvania as part of the Jerome Fisher Program in Management and Technology. In 2013, he received an MBA from Harvard Business School.

Career
During his studies in 2005, Kirkhorn joined Microsoft as a Financial Analyst Intern. In 2006, he did another 4-month internship at Microsoft as Program Manager Intern. After graduating in 2006, Kirkhorn spent nearly 3 years working at McKinsey & Company as a Senior Business Analyst.

In 2010, Kirkhorn joined Tesla as a Senior Analyst in Finance. In December 2014, he became Director of Finance, and in December 2018 he was appointed as Vice President of Finance. On January 30, 2019, Kirkhorn was announced to replace Deepak Ahuja as Tesla's new CFO on the Q4 Tesla earning call.

So when it comes to ignorance and arrogance, I think you win. This is not "new evidence".

So the fact is that Zach is a bean-counter, no matter how good. He was never an engineer. It is my opinion that that means he will never be CEO of Tesla, and that Elon will have lost his mind if he puts him in that position. It's not possible for him to do the job as it needs to be done for a company like Tesla. He's just great at the job he's doing.
So is your premise:

A) He's not educated as an engineer?

or

B) Because his previous career positions have not been engineering-related, his education doesn't count?

Because if it's "A", I give you this:
1627397724067.png

If it's "B", I ask: because a person with a degree in physics has worked primarily in manufacturing, does that mean he is not a degreed physicist in your eyes? Do you think he no longer has any insights in to how physics work and the impact it may have in his manufacturing work?

Last edited:

JusRelax

Apr 24, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
What a gift the market has given us after an utterly stellar earnings report.

In absolute Chris Camillo fashion, our greatest disadvantage to the mm's is believing that they know more than we do. Do not let them control the narrative going on in your mind! Today's drop in Tesla sp after a complete blowout earnings report has resulted in a significant information advantage for us retailers. Go and do something about your information advantage!

I did a rather significant (for me) conversion of stocks to calls today to leverage my information advantage.

Krugerrand

Enough of the 🐩, back to 🐈‍⬛
Jul 13, 2012
Tesla friendly place
You know what really did disappoint me on that call? Right, "pay down debt". I don't mind a capital raise if I think the funds will be put to good use but when I hear it's getting used to pay down low interest debt, part of me thinks WTF?
And the other part is thinking; holy coo coo gazingas they got more cash than they know what to do with.

So whose head will explode when Tesla becomes entirely debt free? Calling it.

elasalle

driVIN(188xx) it !!
Jan 26, 2016
VA
AAPL earnings today, lets see where big tech market leader leads market tomorrow

+ EM took 2 shots on AAPL ... unlikely AAPL announces Car program on earnings .. but could happen

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

Skryll

Mar 12, 2016
San Francisco,CA
Don't forget that in the USA, Tesla has their own proprietary connector

Of course the simplest solution to this would be to stop with this connector and transition to the CCS plug
Unlikely - millions of teslas on the road and a handful of eTrons and iPace and ID4 and mache with a four times as big plug are not going to force tesla out of the better charging plug. They can use adapters for what’s on the road and add the small socket behind a reflector like tesla does for new cars so they can plug in directly.

2daMoon

Mostly Harmless
Nov 25, 2020
Terra
Let me offer some possible reasons. In no particular order:

It’s too good to be true - we just discussed that often people can’t believe that which is right in front of them.

Dumb. Like low IQ dumb.

Slow to grasp because of the combination of the two items above.

And this is my particular favorite; pirates (and not the good kind).
This matter of why was on my mind as well.

It seems to me quite easy to think of the trading professionals as Lemmings. Because, as a whole, they appear to be looking at so many stocks, hoping to find that right one, and it is easy for signal to be lost in the noise. They are all huddled together on the edge of the cliff (the cliff being a decision, good or bad) and waiting for the herd to move suddenly and push them off by force. Mostly because they aren't in the habit of grokking the bigger picture when all they ever do is glance briefly at slices.

These folks aren't in the habit of digging deep. Plus, "familiarity breeds contempt," and Tesla's story being unchanged, even though it is a fantastic growth story, has become mundane and no longer attracts their attention.

Meanwhile, we HODLers sit back twiddling our thumbs and bantering about what might possibly be going through market participant's minds when everything needed to form a decision is right there.

The Lemmings teeter on the precipice blinded by too much data, an inherent unfamiliarity with exponential growth, and their dream of finding the "next" TSLA, and are unable to see the one before them.

Eventually, all it will take is a nudge and the Lemmings will begin to tumble over the edge, resulting in the upward correction that is so long overdue. In the mean time our only choice is to be patient and HODL waiting for the day of the inevitable to arrive, yet once again.

Go Lemmings!

55b34e660ec6ae5a433cc84b34aee7bd.jpg

JusRelax

Apr 24, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Love Rob’s last comment…

In this interview, Rob stated it seemed like Elon was trying to communicate the difficulty of the current environment that the Q2 2021 blowout earnings report resulted from.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to tip my hat to the hard work and ingenuity of the Tesla employees to achieve such greatness this past quarter despite all the difficulties. It truly is appreciated, and their hard work is definitely making a significant impact in accelerating the world towards a renewable future!

Last edited:

Zero CO2

a long term goal
Supporting Member
Apr 24, 2017
A Mountain
If AAPL, MSFT, GOOGL 2Q results disappoint we could see further buying opportunities this week... even if these firms report great results we could see buying opportunities for TSLA ... especially for those with 10 year horizon :p

many retail investors think they have missed out on TSLA... I think they could not be more wrong... we are in 10X part 2 to the 🌕

Featsbeyond50

Apr 27, 2019
Washington
would you rather the money sat in cash, earning little to nothing, or was used to pay down high interest debt taken out years ago at high rates?

seems like a sensible use of some of the capital IMHO, as long as the markets are friendly to any future capital rises or new debt issues at lower rates if later needed.
I'd prefer it if they didn't do the raise. If they don't have a use for the money for the purpose of developing the business, the capital raise signals the markets that the company views the share price as overvalued and cash as a better holding. Paying down low interest debt is only a little better than holding unneeded cash.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC