Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting to see that newer supercharger (16 stalls 250 kW) in France include two Tesla destination charger as well. This one in Blois opened in July. Part of the supercharger opening for all EV or a requirement of France?
View attachment 712395

Good to see Tesla doing this at a large, busy Supercharger site in Europe. They talked about this as a way to decrease congestion by asking people to move to a destination charger if they need to continue charging beyond a SoC where charge rate has fallen to a level that can be provided via the car's onboard charger.

The Tejon Ranch Supercharger in California also has destination chargers:

Cheers!

I say let's take FSD through a complete Human Driver's Test. If it passes, the criteria that we placed on human drivers was met, albiet a low bar. Actually, this would be a great demo. Just have the one evaluating place a local route, press go, start scoring as usual. Aside from rolling through a stop sign on occasion, I think it would pass with flying colors. And if it did, why can't we say it's at least as safe as a human? I don't like this double standard.

The scenario you lay out is not a double standard until we get a "Citizens United" ruling that decides cars are people too. Cars are not people and they don't learn in the same manner as people do so the standard needs to be based upon statistical safety, not upon passing a human driver test. Due to important differences between machines and humans, a self-driving system that couldn't pass a human driver's test but that would be 10 times safer is a possibility. And the converse: A system that could easily pass a driver's test but that would kill 10 times as many people.

I agree that existing U.S. driving tests are not a good method to determine who is qualified to drive but that doesn't mean we should apply it to machines. We should revoke driving privileges of those who cause an inordinate amount of accidents and that is essentially the goal of using statistics to judge machine driving.

Last edited:
Interesting to see that newer supercharger (16 stalls 250 kW) in France include two Tesla destination charger as well. This one in Blois opened in July. Part of the supercharger opening for all EV or a requirement of France?
View attachment 712395

Must be for those who want to take a longer lunch and don't want to pay idle fees ;)

Love this idea. There's a number of times where I would have charged for 10-15 minutes on an SC then moved my vehicle to a destination charger while I go into a restaurant and enjoy a nice relaxed, sit-down dinner if the opportunity to do that existed. Currently the SCs are too fast to do that and I find myself just eating at fast food destinations and rushing to get back to my car.

10/8 $800c are down about 9% today. Strange. Putting in an order at $4.20 in case they dip further in the mid-morning.

Calls further out at 10/29(post earnings) appear about unchanged.
1632243663567.png

The scenario you lay out is not a double standard until we get a "Citizens United" ruling that decides cars are people too. Cars are not people and they don't learn in the same manner as people do so the standard needs to be based upon statistical safety, not upon passing a human driver test. Due to important differences between machines and humans, there exists a self-driving system that couldn't pass a human driver's test but that would be 10 times safer. And the converse: A system that could easily pass a driver's test but that would kill 10 times as many people.

I agree that driver's tests are not a good method to determine who is qualified to drive but that doesn't mean we should apply it to machines. We should revoke driving privileges of those who cause an inordinate amount of accidents and that is essentially the goal of using statistics to judge machine driving.

FSD is a game of words and fears. I want people to be afraid of human drivers. I still think an MVD test could help with that strategy.

The test flushes out this double standard for the public to ponder (which is who needs to be educated here, not the media or regulators who know better). I think FSD would pass, hence, what's the hangup? But follow me for a bit...

The next headline would read - "Is a Driving Test too easy to pass?" This could put the ball squarely in the hands of highway safety to somehow defend that our system for generations is sufficiently safe. I think we want this back and forth so that the ugly human trajedy gets out on display for everyone to see, including # of deaths/accidents, the causes, and all. I can't wait to start the comparisons. And whenever they say "1 out of every X drivers..." (seemingly harmless with pretty good odds), we need to point out that it's Z deaths per year which is another way to present that same data. All part of the fear game.

I do think this could be arranged. Just set the path in a loop with the Tester. Maybe do it off-hours, same test as for humans. Someone could start a whole YouTube Channel on this concept. Make it interesting like show it failing the parallel park, or questioning that last stop. Now I'm curious, how would it do?

Love this idea. There's a number of times where I would have charged for 10-15 minutes on an SC then moved my vehicle to a destination charger while I go into a restaurant and enjoy a nice relaxed, sit-down dinner if the opportunity to do that existed. Currently the SCs are too fast to do that and I find myself just eating at fast food destinations and rushing to get back to my car.

Imagine complaining about this to someone using Chargepoint or EA haha.

I hadnt seen this yet, but may have missed it with the amount of back and forth over the last couple days. InsideEVs updated with another chart, this time on efficiency, where the real winners in battery technology start to surface.

View attachment 712394
Bummer, our early Model 3 LR RWD isn't on the list and I believe should be in #1 or #2 slot. At one time, it had the highest efficiency of em all because it was only RWD but had the new permanent magnet motors.

The closest SC to me is in the parking lot of an AMC which sounds like the ideal placement for such a thing, but last I checked most movies are more then 20-30min.

Maybe one day soon the car will be able to disconnect itself, and move to a free parking spot. Elon did show that prototype snake charger a while back, a self plug in one.

Within the next 5 years?

I'm not a huge fan either, but has some advantages as it is good predictor of the future and we all know we are definitely compressing the spring this week.

Here's next week which is shaping up to test $800

View attachment 712393

Don't get me wrong, I could care less what max pain is for this week or next week. I'll be happy if we're above 750 heading into P/D weekend numbers (Oct 2nd/3rd). Q3 has been the quarter I've been waiting on as the quarter that will force Wall St's hand to bid up the share price back to it's all time high.

Also......I'm crossing my fingers Tesla will burn Wall St by not disclosing the P/D numbers until night of that Sunday, 3rd.....or in pre-market on Monday Oct 4th. I want to see Wall St scramble

Maybe one day soon the car will be able to disconnect itself, and move to a free parking spot. Elon did show that prototype snake charger a while back, a self plug in one.

Within the next 5 years?

That's one of the debates around RTs.

There seem to be 3 schools of thought (well, maybe 3.5 now)

1) The chargers will be automated in some way as you mention was once shown as a prototype- cars will pull into empty spots, charger will attach, car will request detach when ready and leave.

2) Folks won't be running RTs enough for supercharging to really be an issue, or they'll have em auto-route home for the owner to take it to supercharge as needed (this seems the worst solution but I suppose requires nothing extra compared to 1 or 3)

3) Tesla will hire an attendant to work each SC station, they will hook/unhook RTs, and maybe clean the interiors if needed while charging.
3.5- Same as 3, but with the Tesla robot doing this job. Will presumably fight crime when RT traffic is nil.

Ford's blue cruise is nice in a can't take slightly curved turns and result in killing you kind of way without auditory warning when it turns itself off. Ford's system is literally worst than no system.

Yes I’ve observed this when I did a test drive few months back. While in lane keep assist you can accidentally pull on one side of the wheel (like you had to reach for something momentarily) and the car will drift into oncoming traffic or barrier without any audio/visual notice. IMO recall level dangerous. I tagged CR, Ford, etc and obviously zero concern.

This article well states the problem and offers some solutions. But no mention of the potential benefits from true FSD.

Vox - Sunday: America’s car crash epidemic

Excerpt:

Driving is the most dangerous thing most Americans do every day. Virtually every American knows someone who’s been injured in a car crash, and each year cars kill about as many people as guns and severely injure millions.

It’s a public health crisis in any year, and somehow, the pandemic has only made it more acute. Even as Americans have been driving less in the past year or so, car crash deaths (including both occupants of vehicles and pedestrians) have surged.

Yes, on Aug 25, 2021 Elon said:

I agree they'll need Dojo-level trg resources before they can perform the same level of training for all other locations. That's why I predicted the roll-out of the FSD beta will begin in Tesla's backyard around Fremont/Alameda and N. California.

This fitting means they need the data too, and that means having Tesla cars on local roads. India, for example, is doing themselves no favors by slowing imports with a 100% tariff on foreign cars. Telsa (FSD) can't build bricks without straw. India will get FSD last in spite of needing it most.

Cheers!
Have you ever driven in India?? It's... fun. ;) No lanes to speak of, but cars / tuk-tuks / scooters / pedestrians ten wide on roundabouts. Worker on a ladder going up to paint an underpass next to traffic. I even was a passenger on a road in the NE states where one side of a double divided highway was washed out with a mudslide the night before, so drivers just crossed the divide and started driving against on-coming traffic! (nope, no cones or other temporary guides) - oncoming drivers adapted quickly to a single lane. :rolleyes:

Not saying it's not possible. Not saying AI couldn't do better than human drivers there. Not saying it couldn't save lives eventually. But India will be one of the last places to leverage FSD anyway! Rules? Pfft. :oops:

1632248606792.png

1632248736820.png

Don't get me wrong, I could care less what max pain is for this week or next week. I'll be happy if we're above 750 heading into P/D weekend numbers (Oct 2nd/3rd). Q3 has been the quarter I've been waiting on as the quarter that will force Wall St's hand to bid up the share price back to it's all time high.

Also......I'm crossing my fingers Tesla will burn Wall St by not disclosing the P/D numbers until night of that Sunday, 3rd.....or in pre-market on Monday Oct 4th. I want to see Wall St scramble
I liked the sentiment of your post, but the highlighted bit massively triggered me. 🤪