Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to close on this, I can report that it does not record without the correct 4.1 Android App is installed. We can draw some theories on this.

My first drive data (after the Button) is not shown in my daily, only the 2nd drive (as "1 of 1"). This implies it's not tracking unless you have the correct App installed. This means it's possible your phone's acceleration telemetry is combined with vehicle red flags to create the report. It's only speculation, but maybe don't throw your phone around the car or let it slide off the dash on a turn?)

After the 4.1 App update and a drive, it shows my second drive only. 100% so far :p
Are you sure? I had two drives previous to installing the android app. Both of those drives were recorded for me.

Are you sure? I had two drives previous to installing the android app. Both of those drives were recorded for me.
So you were on ~4.0.2, Press the Button, Drove, installed 4.1, and now that drive showed up in your "Trips" section?
I'm sure that's what I did but nothing recorded from the first drive after many hours now. Maybe wrong conclusion then and wonder why mine was ignored.

Just to close on this, I can report that it does not record without the correct 4.1 Android App is installed. We can draw some theories on this.

My first drive data (after the Button) is not shown in my daily, only the 2nd drive (as "1 of 1"). This implies it's not tracking unless you have the correct App installed. This means it's possible your phone's acceleration telemetry is combined with vehicle red flags to create the report. It's only speculation, but maybe don't throw your phone around the car or let it slide off the dash on a turn?)

After the 4.1 App update and a drive, it shows my second drive only. 100% so far :p

it seems to record before the iOS update.

I requested the FSD beta this morning. Drove 170 miles. After getting home, I forced updated my iOS app. I got a score of 87.

So you were on ~4.0.2, Press the Button, Drove, installed 4.1, and now that drive showed up in your "Trips" section?
I'm sure that's what I did but nothing recorded from the first drive after many hours now. Maybe wrong conclusion then and wonder why mine was ignored.
Yep, was exactly what I did. Android app on 4.0.2, pressed the button in the vehicle after updating vehicle to new version, drove to the library, found the new app on apkmirror, downloaded it and installed it while I was still at the library. That drive to the library shows up in my "trips" section.

Reactions: Thumper
Yep, was exactly what I did. Android app on 4.0.2, pressed the button in the vehicle after updating vehicle to new version, drove to the library, found the new app on apkmirror, downloaded it and installed it while I was still at the library. That drive to the library shows up in my "trips" section.
Not just the drive back from the Lib? OK then. I edited my original post as not so sure. Thx.

The 2021-09-25 issue of The Economist includes a special report on Germany after Merkel. Some of the content is relevant to Tesla's experience in Germany, and points to possible future challenges and opportunities.

For example this article on public infrastructure discusses problems that sound oddly familiar:

[...]​
Bureaucracy and nimbyism play a role. Companies struggle with a patchwork of planning and building rules. Opponents delay public-infrastructure projects with endless litigation. The number of projects blocked by citizens’ initiatives has doubled since 2000. This is problematic for roads, railways and bridges. But it is a “real hurdle” to climate transformation, says Mr Scheller. The recently revised climate law mandates a reduction in carbon emissions of 65% from 1990 levels by 2030, and their net elimination 15 years later. The share of renewables in electricity production must also reach 65%. And overall demand for electricity for batteries to power electric cars, for heat pumps in buildings, and for “green” hydrogen to help decarbonise industry may rise by a quarter.​
[...]​
Other states are even more restrictive. Rules to protect endangered species vary from state to state. A few years ago litigation, regulation and complex tendering slowed the construction of wind farms to a crawl, although 2021 has offered flickering hints at a revival. The mismatch between the federal government’s ambitions and the reality of local regulation, says Mr Hrach, will make it impossible for Germany to reach its commitments under the Paris climate agreement.​
[...]​

Another article discusses the auto industry. There are only two direct mentions of Tesla, but we can all read between the lines.
[...]​
The car industry faces the biggest disruption in its history, says Ferdinand Dudenhöffer, head of the Centre Automotive Research in Duisburg. Electrification is just a start. Audi, a vw brand, is trying a car-subscription model aimed at younger drivers, a growing market that could upend revenue models. Software systems require digital skills and fresh ways of working. “We are strong on the hardware side of cars, not so good on data and ai,” says Danyal Bayaz, the Green finance minister of Baden-Württemberg, another big car state. Some fear vw will never catch up with Tesla—or the Chinese firms muscling in. Fully autonomous vehicles, should they arrive, may bring the biggest change yet.​
As for the jobs, the scares are overblown, insists Mr Diess (who faces powerful unions and workers’ councils). “Seats remain seats, steel remains steel, wheels remain wheels, brakes remain brakes,” he recently told the German Press Agency. A study by the Boston Consulting Group and the German think-tank Agora Verkehrswende projects no net loss of jobs by 2030, although other surveys are less sanguine. But the headline figure conceals massive churn, as component making gives way to battery production and coding. Almost half the country’s 1.7m car workers will need reskilling, especially the smesuppliers. This, warns the study, will mean “considerable expense” for firms and workers.​
[...]​

Finally an article on demographics points out that "...the country needs 400,000 immigrants a year to plug its skilled-labour gap," which may not materialize. This could affect Tesla's business in Germany, if shortages of skilled labor make it more acceptable to reduce employment and increase automation — both inside and outside of factories.

Reactions: JusRelax
What creeps me out more but I think is the only reasonable hypothesis given how these journalists behave almost across the board is that it is the job itself that turns them into these narrow visioned pessimists. I think they pick up on the latent incentive structure and internalize it to remove cognitive dissonance. CNBC is going to be rewarding engagement and so if she gets more engagement by being negative and especially if she can shift to a moralizing tone about safety and greed then that works even better. Eventually instead of that being just a conscious stance to take for the job it becomes her actual thought process because it is easier. It seems to me almost every writer that principally covers just Tesla ends up this way. I don't think it helps that Tesla fans can be obnoxious because then she has a personal reason. So what is more creepy about this is that it suggests these monstruosos can be manufactured rather easily.

I finally made it through Walter Lippmann's public choice and he rips apart newspapers back in 1922 in quite familiar terms. They are fundamentally businesses not bastions of truth and objectivity. He also puts a lot of ink into the basic fact that advertisers are the real clients though he doesn't stress direct competitors trashing each other so much as needing to perform in a way that generates sales for the advertisers. So yeah trashing Tesla might accomplish more purchases of GM. It presumably makes GM happier to see negative Tesla articles. I'd love to see how exactly this all plays out behind the scenes in editor/publisher emails etc. Might be as subtle as simply being told 'no that's not newsworthy' every time she suggested maybe writing about how FSD may save lives. I assume you figure out the game pretty quick and then what are you gonna do? Quit?
You mean Walter Lippmann's book, Public Opinion. One of my all-time favorites.

Most people don't realize that the managing of public opinion and the engineering of public consent has been one of the central goals of leaders/rulers throughout history. Way before Hitler there were thinkers like Niccolo Machiavelli who tried to identify and then master communication techniques that would have the most effect on public sentiment/attitudes/belief. Propaganda/public relations/advertising has an incredibly rich and fascinating history; it's sad that today most people open their phone apps and believe all the Truth and Science in the world is brought to them, free of charge, each morning, by objective, infallible sources with no underlying profit motives.

"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed. He who molds public sentiment goes deeper than he who enacts statutes or decisions possible or impossible to execute." --Abraham Lincoln, 1860

CNBC is reporting they received an email response from the California DMV regarding FSD. Sounds like they're completely fine with it except they might want the name changed (which wouldn't matter anyway).

“Based on the information Tesla has provided the DMV, the feature does not make the vehicle an autonomous vehicle per California regulations. The DMV continues to gather information from Tesla on its beta release – including any expansion of the program and features. If the capabilities of the feature change such that it meets the definition of an autonomous vehicle per California’s law and regulations, Tesla will need to operate under the appropriate regulatory authorization. Regardless of the level of vehicle autonomy, the DMV has reminded Tesla that clear and effective communication to the driver about the technology’s capabilities, limitations and intended use is necessary. The DMV is reviewing the company’s use of the term ‘Full Self-Driving’ for its technology. Because it is ongoing, the DMV cannot discuss the review until it is complete.”

The Rocklin SC is located 25mi east of Sacramento and just a few miles from Sierra College. 5 days before the end of Q2 I noticed about 25 new Teslas parked in the Sierra College overflow parking lot across the street from the main entrance. I came to the conclusion there must not have been enough room at the SC so they likely contracted with the college to use the lot to temporarily store cars slated for end of quarter deliveries.

Today, I drove by to check out the overflow lot and they moved it to a larger covered lot closer to the main campus. I counted more than 50 new Teslas there this afternoon waiting for end of Q3 delivery.

Tesla is definitely a bustling growth story.

IMG_0194.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg

...I assume you figure out the game [of corrupt journalism] pretty quick and then what are you gonna do? Quit?

A journalist with integrity would quit, or find an employer that allows her to tell the truth. Some do exist.

I like to think people who favor engagement over truth are strip-mining audience attention -- reaping short-term profits at the expense of longterm. Eventually truth catches up, sometimes. Witness the disappearance of Mark Spiegel from CNBC (according to Google). How much longer will Gordon Johnson last there, as Tesla proves him to be a liar and/or fool?

Lora K is no fool, but she too will be exposed by Tesla in the next few years. Another benefit to look forward to.

...it's sad that today most people open their phone apps and believe all the Truth and Science in the world is brought to them, free of charge, each morning, by objective, infallible sources with no underlying profit motives.

It's not most people, according to surveys, at least not most Americans.

Tesla is helping wake people up, by showing them -- when they ride in Tesla cars or look at the stock chart -- that they've been told a pack of lies.