Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read in the local small town paper about a car hitting an ambulance that was tending to a heart attack victim. No mention of what make of car it was that hit it. I guess it wasn't a Tesla.

Should I call CNBS and tell them about it anyway? 🤷‍♂️

Hmm... it seems like CNBS and I actually have something in common... to me, a car is either just a car, or it's a Tesla.

FSD [computer controlled following] imperative.

For non English speakers

8717E8A5-8596-4EA9-88DF-3198FAF0F56C.png

So to fix my score I drove to Greenville and back using the 3-4 second following rule and Easy Does It by Count Basie as the music station. This worked great.

Key point is safe following can only occur out of town on Sunday evenings. To maintain that spacing in rush hour, or the city, would require roads with 3 times as many lanes. That means 3 times as wide.

If you want safety, without the pain of widening the roads or carpooling during COVID, platooning has to be computer controlled.

Seems like a compelling case for Some SD…. Referencing the imperative definition above for other boundary conditions.

This just out, seems like a fair assessment of Tesla with a pretty cool chart on TSLA vs S&P 500.

"The RS line, the blue line in the charts provided, tracks a stock's performance vs. the S&P 500 index.
Investors also could use 780.89, just above the April peak, as yet another TSLA stock entry."
1632710166828.png

No. I agree that the new area is not being prepared for a parking and logistics lot ultimately, but could be used for that temporarily. Do you not think the current logistics area will be built upon to fill the gap ?

With a factory location close enough to a port, Tesla FSD could use a Boring tunnel. It would be a cool trick for sure to have the cars automatically sorted and loaded onto FSD Tesla Semis and sent on their way.

My hunch is parking and logistics might eventually be relocated to the far east(?) the other side of the bridge where the car carriers currently come from,.,

What that needs is a version of FSD that allows car to travel slowly over the bridge into marshalling area where a Tesla employee takes control via smart summon, summoning them to their designated parking location... this could perhaps also be done with smart cue cards that the cars understand...

As well no need to bus car divers back to the factory...

Tesla could arrange for the road markings and signs to aid FSD for the short journey on a pre-mapped route...

i.e they would prefer parking and logistics far away from the main factory, if the cars could travel to the designated parking area via FSD.

The additional advantage is transporter semis don't need to travel over the bridge, they just load up in a parking area closer to the (east?) road...

The headwinds on FSD are strong. Very strong. Almost hurricane force. Everyone - media, Tesla haters, politicians, Biden admin are united to stop Tesla now. I have never seen a united front against one entity like this. Ever. The confrontation between Musk and NTSB chair will not end in Tesla's favor. This will have a huge, as much as 20%, short term downside impact on Tesla.

Media scumbag queen Lora is now the darling for all Tesla haters.

We have several Civil engineers aboard, I will defer to their opinions on the matter. However, the OP's point was to compare the current earth work to the creation of a logistics parking lot. We know for certain (from WuWa's video records) that no such fill was used to create either the logistics yard on the East side of Phase 1, or the staging area East of Phase 2 which is currently in use for construction materials. IIRC, the stamping presses go in first at a new Gigafactory, and they need substantial foundations.

precompression of soft soils by surcharge preloading—some ...

http://straits-engineers.com › pub › publication_20 | PDF (4 pages)

by R Mohamad · Cited by 1 — The engineering properties of importance are the maximum past pressures σvc', compression and recompression indices Cc and Ccr, the coefficient of consolidation ...

OK, I am a civil engineer and will try to explain in a simple way (and give you some understanding how since ages we have dealt with this here in The Netherlands).
In regions near the coast of a country very often, over a thousands of years, the rivers and lakes have brought layers of clay and compressed layers of plants (estuary land).
The western part of The Netherlands has this characteristic. Deeper down, say 15 meters till sometimes more than 30 meters, are sand layers that are solid.
This is why houses in Amsterdam have since long past been built on wooden poles, to bring the weight of the houses to these solid sand layers. They would have sunk into the soft ground without them. If you could look under Amsterdam you would see a huge forest of wooden poles.

To build a complete huge warehouse or road on poles would of course be very expensive. So you use them only for large concentrated loads (under heavy machinery, columns of buildings, etc.
How to obtain an even settlement under other parts of the building or roads/parking lots (like roads in the western part of my country)? It's too expensive to dig the soft layers out completely, you would just create a lake that you cannot easily drain and fill with sand afterwards.
The answer is prestressing. These soft layers contain a lot of water that has to pressed out of it, in order to make them more solid. Pressing water out of the pores of clay is difficult however and takes a long time. By putting the weight of meters of sand on top the pressing out of water is accelerated, but still takes a long time (many months).

The land in Shanghai has the characteristics as described above. We will see proof of the prestressing when we will see measuring sticks on top of them. By regularly measuring how these sticks go slowly down in time because of the weight of the sand on top, it can be calculated how much time is needed for the soil to have been compacted sufficiently for the purpose ahead. It can be accelerated by pressing vertically draining into the layers, but that is a question of extra cost against shorter compression time.
For us of importance: I don't think they will be building something there in 2021, it is preparing the land months ahead.

Last edited:
The headwinds on FSD are strong. Very strong. Almost hurricane force. Everyone - media, Tesla haters, politicians, Biden admin are united to stop Tesla now. I have never seen a united front against one entity like this. Ever. The confrontation between Musk and NTSB chair will not end in Tesla's favor. This will have a huge, as much as 20%, short term downside impact on Tesla.

Media scumbag queen Lora is now the darling for all Tesla haters.

It still wont matter.

No matter what you can point to the 70000 a year deaths from human drivers in USA, and Tesla will implement this in other countries, and do so safely.

What will it look like when Canada, Europe etc have it but USA dont?

It still wont matter.

No matter what you can point to the 70000 a year deaths from human drivers in USA, and Tesla will implement this in other countries, and do so safely.

What will it look like when Canada, Europe etc have it but USA dont?
I am guessing you will see the same resistance and pushback in Canada and Europe. "If US thinks it is unsafe, why we should we be the guinea pigs' will be the mantra. Remember the legacy dynos are equally powerful in Europe too.