Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We supposed to trust this dude?????

1633117410261.png

Bolt fires have been caused by two LG manufacturing defects. Not GM BMS.

And a stationary P100D caught fire a couple days ago. Tesla has not been perfect here.

GM was using these pouch cells in the first place in order to pack in more kWh to compensate for their poor vehicle energy efficiency and poor BMS. Tesla's BMS and pack design enables deeper depth of discharge without fire risk, which also enabled them to capitalize on the inherent safety advantages of small cylindrical cells.

Wait a minute GM... Steering automation is in software. Why is a chip shortage affecting a software feature?

More likely GM saw all those dirtballs they threw at Tesla coming right back at them from the Feds recently, who asked everyone for their automation safety data. GM threw in the towel on zero hopes of proving that Super Cruise is safe IMO. But a chip shortage for software sounds convenient considering Tesla FSD.
Absolutely not how these companies work.

SuperCruise is a mobileye feature that has its own hardware processing etc. GM bolt it in and give it a bit of GM flavor.

This is why the mach-e needs 3000 cpus instead of 300, everything is its own supplier designed and built plug in system

As much as I usually agree with you, this time I think you misunderstood the point. It is precisely the Teals approach that allows them to work with suppliers to get the best they can for their needs, and that makes Tesla a better partner for others because Tesla 'improves the breed':

Tesla uses suppliers when they can do better from them, batteries for example:
-CATL has a growing Tesla relationship. (Elon repeats that they have no plan to replace suppliers, but to supplement them.
-Both Samsung SDI and LG are bidding on 4680 supplies and both already supply Tesla.
-Then there are the LG/IDRA cases.
- and there are a huge array of shipping and logistics relationships, some fo which seem to be very close.

and many more.
Your point about Tesla vertical integration is valid, but ignores how crucial supplier networks are to Tesla. When a supplier fails they are replaced as we have seen, but Tesla does work hard to keep suppliers efficient and successful. They must do so.
Tesla has no choice but to play nice with all the other battery suppliers because Tesla needs ALL the batteries on the planet for the mission. It would be stupid and shooting the mission and thus the planet in the foot if Tesla said otherwise to its battery suppliers. The mission is everything and thus choices are made on its behalf regardless of the taste left in anyone’s mouth.

Absolutely there’s a complicated supply chain that’s essential. And I believe it’s a frustration to Elon given how he comments about it. And if he could find a way around it, he’d do it. He’s certainly been taking steps over the years to try and become less dependent on the supply chain, to have more flexibility in it to mitigate risk. I believe he’ll continue to work in that direction, which means LESS partnerships/relationships.

Not for a second do I believe if Tesla could make all the batteries they need that they’d be playing this nicely with others. Not a single second. No incentive to do so anymore than they had incentive to play nice with MobileEye (and back then they had a reason to play nice and decided it wasn’t worth it any longer). I’m positive there’s a long list of other suppliers who have taken it to Tesla at one time or another that we don’t know about but that surely exists and payback is coming.

I do feel Elon wants everyone to be united, that he wants cooperation and teamwork and all that good stuff. The reality is something entirely different, but if anyone can pull enough of us together and bulldoze through the 💩 to ensure a successful future, it’s that guy. I see a different future than you. Either way, though, it’s a win.

The tax above 600k NOK is also a good motivation to buy FSD on a subscription basis rather than have it frontloaded as part of to price of the car.
One reason i bought FSD 2 weeks after having the car .. ;)
FSD is not on the insurance & won't get reimbursed if i total it, but it makes insurance (and luxury taxes in countries that have them) cheaper :D

I think we may be forgetting how fast this is all moving, the 45 minute PBS show really put it back in perspective for me.

Yes, Elon is blasting his way into every corner of human society and is taking on more and more as necessary to keep momentum. But his wake will be massive. As disruption turns to status quo, commodity markets will conform to Elon's speed.

Hell, soon enough he'll be able to offload some responsibilities. I think he's shown that even with things as crucial as supercharging infrastructure. He's purposely moved that from being part of the purchase to being something you pay for. The hope here is that the market will bring their charging efforts up to Tesla's level and Elon won't have to do the whole thing.

Panasonic has been read the riot act and is now compliant, others will be forced to follow. Elon's only been king for like 24-32 months, it'll accelerate.
I wish there was an ‘interesting’ button. I neither agree nor disagree, but it’s interesting what you said.

My only concern that keeps nagging at me is.... has GM and Ford paid off enough federal officials to have all self driving software halted no matter what the data says? Remember it is a fact GM does not care about lives, only dollars. You are free to google that info yourself.

Realistically I think the other auto manufacturers are just confident they can simply buy third party software later when it is fully fleshed out and Tesla does not have a lead over other software companies like.... Waymo. (are they in for a surprise.... AGAIN)

Also as a side note. I don't think it should be legal for an auto manufacturer to be called an "AUTO" manufacturer because it is deceiving since their factories are not fully AUTOnomous. AND an automobile should not be have that name since it does not automatically make me mobile. I can not believe the regulators allowed that. I guess people were not as stupid back int he day.
They can’t stop it anymore than the ever powerful Auto Dealership and family could stop Tesla. It’s too late. Put your mind at ease. There’s no putting the cat back in the bag.