Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

NicoV

Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Zulte, Belgium
Other Italian friends did buy a 500e and were not pleased. I only suggest Hyunday Kona (as a long range car) and Renault Zoe (as a urban, main-but-not-for-long-trips car).
A 500e does 180 watt per km in summer, while a Kona does 125 Watt on average all year long. My Zoe is around 122.
This speaks volume about the battery technology.
Unfortunately Marchionne did botch the electric strategy at FIAT/FCA, they are years behind.
Is this becoming public knowledge? FCA relies on selling boatloads of Fiat 500e to prevent having to pool with Tesla in the EU. Bad sales of 500e (because of bad reputation) may force FCA to come back to Tesla for exhaust credits.

lafrisbee

Dec 13, 2019
Indialantic FL
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the structural pack doesn't have to go hand in hand with 4680 Cells............Tesla could be create a new 2170 pack that fits into the structural frame for the time being.

Also, you know it's going to make zero difference if you get a Y with 2170's or 4680's/structural pack right? Tesla is simply going to put less cells in the 4680 Model Y to match the exact specs of the current 2170 Model Y for the same price. There will be no difference to you.
I do not have enough education, and did not care about it until 4680's were announced but...
Don't 4680's have a higher energy/power output (and input?) than 2170's of an equal energy capacity due to their tabless design? So the consumer could not faster charging and higher acceleration and top end due to a redesign in software?

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger

thx1139

Aug 1, 2014
Lemont, IL
That's walking a fine line.

The statement is very oddly worded and basically a tacit admission of guilt. I'm sure it'll get appealed and the actual fine paid might be 1-2% of the $137m.
Sounds like they are saying that he heard the N word used by workers, but no witnesses said he was targeted by workers.

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Supporting Member
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
Maybe they should just say they will bring to vote the recommendation to split 1 to 100, so they take care of any other need for a split for the next couple of decades. 😁
Wouldn't that just hand over money to the hedge funds and market makers for a couple of decades? Stock splits often but randomly timed would bet a better choice.

Phobi

Aug 1, 2019
Brampton, ON, Canada
Other Italian friends did buy a 500e and were not pleased. I only suggest Hyunday Kona (as a long range car) and Renault Zoe (as a urban, main-but-not-for-long-trips car).
A 500e does 180 watt per km in summer, while a Kona does 125 Watt on average all year long. My Zoe is around 122.
This speaks volume about the battery technology.
Unfortunately Marchionne did botch the electric strategy at FIAT/FCA, they are years behind.

“Botch” is probably an understatement now lol…but I can tell you first hand his mentality unfortunately funnelled it’s way right down to the shop floor…way to lead by example Sergio :rolleyes:

I hope for the sake of my workmates they find a way to change and pull themselves up from where Sergio left us, but I honestly don’t intend to be around to find out :cool:

Lead the way Elon, lead the way.

Motor Mouth

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2018
SF Bay
(Mod-edited) something something California
I've been a bit reticent to wade into this as I know it's a pretty charged/emotional issue for many people. Moreover, I get that this board is not entirely balanced on attacks against TSLA. That said, IMO this is the kind of issue that many large companies face. To the extent it is not an ongoing circumstance (which by all appearances it is not) I'm content with letting the judicial system take its course and chalking it up as a cost of doing business. I have no personal knowledge about it and while I suspect a typical jury at this moment in time is likely to be highly biased against TSLA, it kinda "is what it is." As long as future liability for similar events is unlikely, there's nothing to be done. I very much expect the punitive damages award will likely be significantly reduced, but railing against the system isn't productive.

PeterJA

Sep 26, 2013
San Diego
... I think Tesla would create a 2170 structural pack...

"Structural pack" means the battery-cell cans contribute to the car's structure, instead of being carried in a container that provides structural strength.

4680 cells will be epoxied together to form a very strong and rigid brick that doesn't need a strong container. Tesla can do this because tabless 4680 cells are cooled from their ends. Tesla can't do it with 2170 cells because they are cooled from their sides. So the 2170s must be carried in a pack "like a box of potatoes."

Gigapress

Sep 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
Another interesting fact, you could have bought GM in 70s and held it for 20 years and never made a dollar in capital gains. GM is a fraud wrapped in a wall st led push to bring in the suckers before it explodes into a massive fee generating bankruptcy. Who needs a profit when you are paid tens of millions to keep status quo
But what was the dividend yield over that time period? Doesn't make sense to look at only capital gains. A stock that stays at constant price but pays an x% dividend with a y% personal income tax rate has x(1-y) % return on capital.

Last edited:

S3XY

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I was feeling lucky this morning and put in an order at $777.77. I somehow managed to resist the FOMO when we popped into the $790's and just closed on my order. Sorry for the boring anecdote but us HODLers only have these small victories to point to as opposed to the options gamblers high stakes trades. Now back to our regularly scheduled forum...

canoemore

Feb 28, 2019
PA
Why not just calmly buy, and then calmly sell on recovery? Then you have more money and you're calm.
Because the gains are sweeter when they're seasoned with vengeance?

But honestly because frustration has been the most reliable buy-signal for me since I started making purchases. I know many others here have made the same observation.

Mengy

Feb 18, 2020
PA
Are these coming off the Fremont line now?

Interesting. We've been seeing front castings in Austin for some time now, some people thought those were simply test frames but maybe they've been shipping them to Fremont and using them on the line?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC