Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLA slighty green in the face of macro headwinds in the early Pre-market:

Nasdaq 100 Dec 21 (NQ=F)​

CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
14,749.25 -59.00 (-0.40%)
As of 5:29AM EDT. Market open.

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Oct 11, 2021 05:34 AM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$786.35 +0.86 (+0.11%)
Pre-Market Volume20,381
Pre-Market High$786.87 (04:05:34 AM)
Pre-Market Low$784.25 (04:23:58 AM)

It’s 88

I had a perfect 100 for a week, until Friday. Then on Saturday morning I went to the autocross and it dropped me to 93. Then I drove safe more miles on the freeway and residential, hoping to bring back up the score. And that, despite having 0/0/0/0 on those, dropped me further each time I did it, until I gave up. It is 88 now. Maybe adding miles to the same day with additional trips just gave more weight to the bad score from the one autocross event. No idea.

My only hope would be a 'teacher drops the worst grade' kind of rule that counts all my more than 7 perfect 100 days...
And I got it ! Looks like 100 on Friday was good enough !

Mind blowing… not perfect yet but oh wow amazing what it can handle already. Drove 17 miles, chatted on clubhouse, time for bed.

Amazing how a confluence of events connects a simple crooked street with AI. The name should be changed to Dojo Lane.🙂

"owners who have been part of the program since last year have described FSD Beta 10.2 as a smooth, confident, and stable build. Reports of a stricter driver monitoring system while FSD Beta is engaged have also been shared online.​
"So far, the initial impressions of FSD Beta 10.2 seem to be highly positive. The wider release of the advanced driver-assist system is also evident, with numerous Tesla owners sharing their welcome emails from the company on social media. Overall, the release of FSD Beta 10.2 seems to be a landmark accomplishment for the company"​

Hey, guys. I'm new here.

I bought TSLA pre-SP500 inclusion at average price of under $400. I sold at $880ish and then rebought at $600.

With the marketcap approaching close to $1 trillion, I'm starting to wonder if all of the growth from the automotive side has been priced in already and if I'm better off investing in something else. Yes, I'm well aware of the potential of robotaxis, but I'm a FSD-bear and don't think it's ever happening.

If we're valuing Tesla solely as a car company and assuming they can manufacture 20 million cars annually, would their current valuation be justified? I'd imagine most of the cars sold then would be a cheaper $25K model with lower margins, so my initial instinct is no.

I have to admit that getting called a moron by friends and people online for investing in TSLA has been making me second-guess my investment choice. Hoping that some of you can bring a different opinion on the matter.

Welcome
I did a 5 year outlook which is based solely on Auto and Energy (no Robotaxi, no AI).
Take a look here:

What most bears get wrong is they focus on the number of cars sold rather than profit and cash flow generated from the cars sold.
As Tesla expands, the manufacturing efficiencies and operating leverage generate a tremendous amount of profits and cash flow.
I have gotten some valid feedback on my 5 year outlook since posting it in July and have made some changes to the model (which I have not yet posted).
My new Outlook is still a work-in-progress, but the overall numbers still tell me this stock has significant upside. There is no other large cap stock with this amount of potential.

Last edited:

"owners who have been part of the program since last year have described FSD Beta 10.2 as a smooth, confident, and stable build. Reports of a stricter driver monitoring system while FSD Beta is engaged have also been shared online.​
"So far, the initial impressions of FSD Beta 10.2 seem to be highly positive. The wider release of the advanced driver-assist system is also evident, with numerous Tesla owners sharing their welcome emails from the company on social media. Overall, the release of FSD Beta 10.2 seems to be a landmark accomplishment for the company"​
Yeah, but that’s Teslarati. If you go to the autonomous driving thread where new beta drivers are sharing their thoughts, it’s more of a mixed bag. I suspect at least part of that is nervousness due to being new to the system, but of the videos I’ve watched so far, I haven’t seen any significant steps forward with 10.2 yet.

Hey, guys. I'm new here.

I bought TSLA pre-SP500 inclusion at average price of under $400. I sold at $880ish and then rebought at $600.

With the marketcap approaching close to $1 trillion, I'm starting to wonder if all of the growth from the automotive side has been priced in already and if I'm better off investing in something else. Yes, I'm well aware of the potential of robotaxis, but I'm a FSD-bear and don't think it's ever happening.

If we're valuing Tesla solely as a car company and assuming they can manufacture 20 million cars annually, would their current valuation be justified? I'd imagine most of the cars sold then would be a cheaper $25K model with lower margins, so my initial instinct is no.

I have to admit that getting called a moron by friends and people online for investing in TSLA has been making me second-guess my investment choice. Hoping that some of you can bring a different opinion on the matter.
Energy business?
AI business?

TSLA slighty green in the face of macro headwinds in the early Pre-market:

Nasdaq 100 Dec 21 (NQ=F)​

CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
14,749.25 -59.00 (-0.40%)
As of 5:29AM EDT. Market open.

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Oct 11, 2021 05:34 AM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$786.35 +0.86 (+0.11%)
Pre-Market Volume20,381
Pre-Market High$786.87 (04:05:34 AM)
Pre-Market Low$784.25 (04:23:58 AM)

Weak macros. Earnings in 2 weeks. Ok who’s buying today?

As an EU Cybertruck reservation holder, I’m a bit concerned about this weekends answers from Elon about when Cybertruck would arrive in Europe. He answered it was big, and that they may make a smaller one for EU. Or that they would otherwise try to find a way to comply with EU regulations. He was probably referring to some comments that have been made (here) about the general design of the Cybertruck not being compatible with EU safety regulations (too dangerous for the other people on the road in case of an accident).
Still, Tesla has no problem taking reservations for the Cybertruck in the EU.
I don’t mind it’s big, I just want to use it as a camper.
IMHO, there's little chance of the bigger Cybertruck being launched outside of US. The market may not be there for it to be produced in Europe or China. But Elon did promise me that he'll make a smaller one. I would say its probably 4 years away. Oh.. And I have 2 reservations.

A picture of the new 18650 battery pack in the Model S Plaid has surfaced on Reddit:

s5js91ngjjs71.jpg

Only 5 modules in the current pack vs 18 in the previous pack.

Hey, guys. I'm new here.

There was an interesting post from another member here when TSLA reached its peak and we were all getting called dumbasses by our friends and families for not selling.

Tech EV bubble

I get the sentiment. I even agree with it in regards to certain companies and perhaps the EV and related space. Seeing companies with no product in market and 0 to virtually 0 revenue (NKLA, QS) commanding multi-billion dollar valuations is astronomically absurd.

However, those are the exception rather than the rule. The numbers just don't point to another dot-com bust. Here's a nice thorough write-up penned in Sept on why. No, This Isn't a Repeat of the Dot-Com Bubble – Of Dollars And Data

Here are some key takeaways from the article:

Note: I've also adjusted some of the numbers to show where we are now vs when this was written in Sept as well as added a few tidbits not in the article

1. Nasdaq 5-year performance:

95 - 2000: +456%

2015-Current: +156%

2. Sampling of biggest individual performers:

95-2000 (avg 11x - 40x)

Intel: +998%

Cisco: +3,910%

Oracle: +1,220%

Microsoft: +1,600%

2015-2020 (avg 2.5x - 6x)

Apple: +401%

Amazon: +375%

Netflix: +361%

Facebook: +155%

Zoom: +559%

TSLA: +1,234% <---- Noteable exception I address at the end of the post

3. P/E Ratios are still below the dot-com average: 44 vs 29-30ish

4. Yields (TINA - there is no other alternative)

Current average earnings yields (E/P) are:

Now: ~3-3.3% (1/29.5)

Dot-com: ~2.2% (1/44)

Meaning, investors expect about a 3-3.5% return for every dollar they put in a stock now vs 2% during the dot-com bust.

That doesn't seem like a big difference, but when compared against a MUCH safer investment, the 10 year treasury, there's a huge difference.

10-year US bonds:

Now: <1%

Dot-com: ~6%

In the dot-com bust, you were taking a risk on companies barely earning anything for a meager 2.2% yield versus a 6% virtually guaranteed return in bonds! Now, you're lucky to get 1% on bonds versus 3% or better in stocks. Needless to say, it's not crazy to hear folks saying Amazon and Apple are better than bonds for storing your dollars.

To sum it up

Yes, TSLA is absolutely a performance outlier. However, unlike in the dot-com bust, investors are being forced to stick their dollars somewhere and mega-cap tech in the world's largest TAMs (total addressable market) is one of the best places to do that.

TSLA is:

- credibly competing in the two largest TAMs and arguably leading technology driven disruption in both

- TSLA's technology and business model has already proven economical -- an important distinction when comparing against dot-com businesses that were not economical

- led by a truly once in a generation level leader in his prime with decades of experience

- incredibly resilient having survived two MASSIVE economic disasters, one of which was the largest seen since the great depression and early in TSLA's existence

I don't have a crystal ball, but I can tell you that this valuation isn't irrationally exuberant by any means”

It’s from 9 months ago.

If you want the complete Tesla valuation, go read Frank’s investment thesis on Tesla, you will be as Strong as you could ever be in face of adversity or in the face of someone trying to influence you to sell.

This article talks about Waymo in Arizona only getting a few hundred rides per week. However there are 600 waymos in Phoenix so a few hundred rides per week is a few rides per car per week.

As for 5 million intervention free miles, that was a made up number as to drive home the point of how human thinks..as in no matter what number it is humans tend to downplay it because there's risk involved. Their actual number is around 30k miles per disengagement.

Thanks, that's about what I expected in AZ. Any idea how that is doing in San Fran? If nothing else i'd have thought curiosity would drive rides.

I've read up on manufacturing innovations at Tesla to reduce costs (Like the Octovalve and Gigapresses), so how easy would it be for other companies to copy Tesla and achieve similar cost savings, which would then pressure Tesla to lower prices & margins?

“The competition is coming.” We’ve heard this for years, that the OEMs are so good at making cars that one day they’d just wake up and eat Tesla’s lunch. But surely you heard about VW’s recent emergency meeting?

According to BI sources Herbert Diess and Brand CEO Ralf Brandstätter called a crisis meeting with all 120 top managers at the company, on Thursday, 8/30/2021.​
Diess stated the following:​
Compared to Tesla and Chinese manufacturers VW is too expensive, slow, unproductive, and not competitive.​
If everything remains as it is, VW will no longer be competitive.​
It is urgently necessary that a new course is set in Wolfsburg. Future competition with Tesla's new Giga factory will be brutal. The electric car pioneer sets new standards in car production.​
A Model 3 is built in 10 hours, more than 3 times as fast as a VW ID.3 in Zwickau. This puts Tesla in another dimension in terms of productivity and profitability.​

Yeah, those OEMs with their car-building expertise… (and bear in mind the quoted time for the Model 3 doesn’t include the front and rear castings that speed up Model Y production)

Tesla has made no secret of their octovalve or giant castings. Sandy Munro has torn down those cars, and he sells detailed reports to any OEM who will buy them. German OEMs have bought and imported Teslas strictly for competitive analysis and tear downs. Challenge: name one OEM who has implemented an octovalve or giant casting. Why not? Who knows. But surely if they had an easy way to make their EVs more cost-effective, they’d do it?

Another example: chip shortages. GM sales down 33% in Q3. Ford down 27% in Q3. Toyota down 22% in September. Factories closed all over the world. All because of chip shortages.

Tesla sales up 73%. How? From the Q2 update letter:

Our team has demonstrated an unparalleled ability to react quickly and mitigate disruptions to manufacturing caused by semiconductor shortages. Our electrical and firmware engineering teams remain hard at work designing, developing and validating 19 new variants of controllers in response to ongoing semiconductor shortages.

Why don’t the OEMs just do that? Surely if they could put in some effort to accommodate changing chip suppliers and avoid idling factories, they would?

Can you give a counter-example of an OEM doing better at manufacturing EVs than Tesla in some area? (Any area?). About all I can come up with is the Lucid range/efficiency and the cost of some BYD models (e.g. Yuan Pro crossover for < $20k). But neither of those companies are the OEMs we’re talking about.

Can you give a counter-example of an OEM doing better at manufacturing EVs than Tesla in some area? (Any area?). About all I can come up with is the Lucid range/efficiency and the cost of some BYD models (e.g. Yuan Pro crossover for < $20k). But neither of those companies are the OEMs we’re talking about.
Cup holders. They have better cup holders.