Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might not be aggressive as you think. I have sat in my friend's car and that guy thinks traffic laws are just suggestions. He hard accelerates into stop traffic and slams on the brake like every time. His follow distance at high speed makes me squeamish and plays chicken with people trying to get into his lane. If he didn't get into the turning lane, that's okay. He will hard accelerate and make an aggressive turn right on green over 3 LANES to make a super illegal turn. It's freaken awful sitting in his car but hey, he haven't got into an accident yet.
There is a difference between aggressive and reckless.

This series continues to be interesting generally, with its references to the launch customer. The 15 gigapress orders that was stated in the first episode and mentioned here a few days ago, seems to be mostly/all Tesla. I wonder whether the gigapress began in the minds of IDRA or of Tesla.

Wherever it started, it seems Tesla is the only one using it.

I think we would have heard if anyone else was developing a new car with this casting technology.

Reactions: FireMedic
You might not be aggressive as you think. I have sat in my friend's car and that guy thinks traffic laws are just suggestions. He hard accelerates into stop traffic and slams on the brake like every time. His follow distance at high speed makes me squeamish and plays chicken with people trying to get into his lane. If he didn't get into the turning lane, that's okay. He will hard accelerate and make an aggressive turn right on green over 3 LANES to make a super illegal turn. It's freaken awful sitting in his car but hey, he haven't got into an accident yet.
Brother, you need to get out of that car and stop rationalizing with your recency bias.

We like you and want you to keep posting.

Do you live in Sao Paulo Brazil?

A lot of activity on the Model X waiting area forum… people are getting phone calls from Tesla saying that the Model X 6-seat Plaid is going into production and if they switch to that configuration they can get delivery this year. A couple reports of the same offer to LR reservation holders too.
Model X Plaid is the perfect car to push for 2021 delivery since it’s not likely to qualify for the rebate regardless!

Wetblanketing here - or at least dampblanketing....but haven't we contrarily learned that a reasonable number of IDRA's orders have been going to Chinese automakers? My recollection is that information came out perhaps 4-5 months back.
I went back and did some counting. Assuming that (1) IDRA's "15 orders" includes global orders to LK Technologies and (2) the Giga Press name is reserved for 6000- or 8000-ton machines, we heard that Wecan ordered two Gigapresses.

We have seen 2x 6000-ton Gigapresses in Fremont. I think we saw at least 3x 6000-ton Gigapresses at Shanghai in a recent video. We see 3x 6000-ton Gigapresses at Austin, with the foundation outlines for a fourth and plenty of space for several more. We also know that Austin will be receiving at least one 8000-ton machine. I assume that there are at least 3x in Berlin, although would be happy to be corrected on that.

So Tesla had ordered at least 12 Gigapresses, or at least 80% of the total.

I went back and did some counting. Assuming that (1) IDRA's "15 orders" includes global orders to LK Technologies and (2) the Giga Press name is reserved for 6000- or 8000-ton machines, we heard that Wecan ordered two Gigapresses.

We have seen 2x 6000-ton Gigapresses in Fremont. I think we saw at least 3x 6000-ton Gigapresses at Shanghai in a recent video. We see 3x 6000-ton Gigapresses at Austin, with the foundation outlines for a fourth and plenty of space for several more. We also know that Austin will be receiving at least one 8000-ton machine. I assume that there are at least 3x in Berlin, although would be happy to be corrected on that.

So Tesla had ordered at least 12 Gigapresses, or at least 80% of the total.
You could be 20% off, then we're good :)

As a yachtie myself, I fully agree with your take on steering.

The key to me with fly-by-wire has always been the question on how you engineer the active feedback from the road. I believe that the active input is easy and fast enough. But it’s the feeling you need from the road to make the countless minute adjustments to steering that you consciously or subconsciously do to keep the car “comfortable”, or even safe when considering say icy roads, that are tricky. I’m thinking you need “force feedback” like on gaming console controllers, but at a much more refined rate. And in the end, does that add or subtract cost?

Of course, when you disconnect the driver from the car by having the car do it all with FSD, then this feedback loop is probably required anyways and no longer a question of how/why.
This is already in mass production for surgical robots. Roads aren't the same problem exactly but I think they are likely to be easier.