Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A very fair point, but the default behavior if it doesn't understand poor signage or objects in its path needs to be a failsafe stop and request human takeover, rather than attempting to continue and crashing through the objects!

Ummmm, it didn't crash into anything and there is no evidence it would have had Rob not taken over. I suspect for smooth operation when it is presented with something it doesn't fully "understand" it continues forward until it gets to the safe "go/no-go" spot. Rob took over before the point of no return so we will never know whether it would have stopped or not. The display shows detected objects with various levels of opaqueness but it doesn't display detected objects with a very low level of confidence. I think what you would have seen is the signage show up on the display right before it slammed on the brakes.

I have let AutoPilot continue to that last bitter end before there was disaster and had it step up to the plate and slam on the brakes a split second before I did. No, it's never ideal to slam on the brakes but the point is to drive normally and stop, before there is an accident. The car "knows" the approximate stopping distance in various situations, and it knows if someone is tailgating so it knows where the "go/no-go" decision point is. Rob stopped well before that point.

Last edited:
Wonderful. Do we have any sense how much flow of materials will be hauled from Giga Nevada to Giga Texas at least in the early ramp-up years?
I'd expect Kato 4680s to Austin would be the flow for the first year.
Super rough numbers:
10GWh at 300Wh/kg = 73 million pounds (plus containers) / 40,000 lbs per semi = 2,000 semi loads/ year or 6 per day. 3,400 miles round trip, 60 hours at 60 MPH, call it 3 days. 18 semis full time.
At 10 MPG, that's 340 gallons a trip * 2,000 trips = 680,000 gallons @ $3.3 = $2.2 million in fuel costs or roughly $20 per vehicle produced.

Did we ever hear anyting more on the Nikola semi patent lawsuit yet
Nikola responded to the court with why they were late filing, I haven't seen if the judge agreed that it was a good reason or not. The main reason is that their primary witness, Trevor Milton, is unavailable because he is being sued. So they can't move forward at this time. (Which seems like it would fall in the "failure to prosecute" bucket.)

Last edited:
I'd expect Kato 4680s to Austin would be the flow for the first year.
Super rough numbers:
10GWh at 300Wh/kg = 73 million pounds (plus containers) / 40,000 lbs per semi = 2,000 semi loads/ year or 6 per day. 3,400 miles round trip, 60 hours at 60 MPH, call it 3 days. 18 semis full time.
At 10 MPG, that's 340 gallons a trip * 2,000 trips = 680,000 gallons @ $3.3 = $2.2 million in fuel costs or roughly $20 per vehicle produced.
I don’t see why they would be installing mega chargers in Nevada to run batteries between Fremont in Texas. This wouldn’t be an ideal route.
Methinks there’s another purpose. Maybe a 4680 line at giga nevada for supplying gigaAustin, or some other products between Fremont and gigaNevada.

Reactions: Drax7 and jhm
I don’t see why they would be installing mega chargers in Nevada to run batteries between Fremont in Texas. This wouldn’t be an ideal route.
Methinks there’s another purpose. Maybe a 4680 line at giga nevada for supplying gigaAustin, or some other products between Fremont and gigaNevada.

I think you are confusing 2 separate discussions

There is 1 about the new semi chargers at Nevada -- which is likely tesla going to use near production semi to transport packs and motors to Fremont.

And there is 1 about shipping costs in general and increased costs due to a hurry

It's been 8 months (Feb 12) since the last close above $800. While the bandwagon fans twisted their ankles jumping ship mid season, the loyal season ticket holders knew the home team would be back with a vengeance. Team Tesla is just getting warmed up for a strong push in the playoffs as we all expected. They are now a season high 12 games over 0.500. Fun fact : TSLA is up almost exactly 100 points YTD (100.05)

Today
Score:805.72
Margin of W/L:13.78
Attendance:21,948,241
High - Low:15.75
Season
Record:104-92
Total margin of wins:1,624.48
Total margin of losses:-1,524.43
YTD gain/loss:100.0514.18%
Price/52 week high89.5%
Best Win:110.58Mar 9
Worst Loss:-68.83Jan 11
Last 10:6-4
Streak:W2
Avg margin of victory:15.62
Avg margin of defeat:-16.57
Avg Attendance:18,679,671
Avg Attendance of Last 10:18,829,337
Avg High - Low:29.49
Avg H - L of Last 10:19.01

Last edited:
I think you are confusing 2 separate discussions
@jhm asked about Sparks to Austin after the semi charger post.

Sparks ships A LOT to Fremont (2170 packs), semis would be used there.

Not quite correct: NKLA’s total market cap is $4,5B (should be $0 ofcourse). TSLA was up $14B today, so three times NKLA’s market cap.
Yeah, it seemed high, but I'm lost [thanks @MP3Mike and @Right_Said_Fred for pointing out gain vs price] Tdameritrade (and Yahoo among others) says NKLA has 400M shares and went up $11ish to [$11] today which should be 4.4B? It also says it has a 4.6B market cap...

Last edited:
Ummmm, it didn't crash into anything
The car "knows" the approximate stopping distance in various situations, and it knows if someone is tailgating so it knows where the "go/no-go" decision point is. Rob stopped well before that point.
There is this slippery clay in Texas that can increase stopping distance by a factor of 3? Needs to add that to the knowledge base.

I'll just say this one more time. I'm gonna need an explanation for these AH megaspikes that pop up on days like today. We should be able to figure this out definitively, no?

Google showing:

I think we can rule out Google as the source of the data spike, here's their disclaimer: Disclaimer – Google Finance

Data is provided by financial exchanges and other content providers and may be delayed as specified by financial exchanges or other data providers. Google does not verify any data and disclaims any obligation to do so.

So NASDAQ must be the data source, and it does indeed exhibit the same spike: https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/tsla

But there the trail goes cold. Searching for information on "spikes" just leads to articles on individual stock surges. I always assumed these were caused by options activity large enough to move the needle. So if someone was holding a significant amount of 860 strike ITM puts and exercised them all at once, the NASDAQ might temporarily record the ask price close to 860.

Whats going on in Austin next weekend? My son invited us down for when he gets engaged. So went to book hotel room and the cheapest place is a Motel 6 $313 per night. Next is $659 per night. Just crazy. Could a lot of Tesla employees be coming down for some serious testing and launching of Model Y production?

Texas football? They LOVE their football, will book out hotels in the entire city when there is a home game.