Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a TMC poster freaks out with their Model 3 in FSD and somehow causes it to run down a 6 year old.....this program is shut down through 2023. Because Tesla's kill children on purpose.

Well, the FUDsters are living rent-free in your head. Elon talked to the Autopilot team about this very thing. He told us he told them: "we're just going to do the right thing".

This is no different than all the shameless attempts to cast false aspersions on Tesla, like the so-called Constable in The Woods, Houston, who told the Press that he was "100% sure" that the drunk driver was not behind the wheel of the car that didn't have FSD on the road where autopilot won't engage." So Tesla is to blame". /S

I have to add a /S because Media r dumb. Too paid-off to report on the 10x lower death rate among passengers in autopilot-equipped Tesla vehicles, that's for certain.

Last edited:
Zoom out to a longer time period (1 month plus) to see the normal BB 20 day average and 2 std dev. SmartSelect_20211018-121517_TD Ameritrade Mobile.jpg

Yes - I watch my rearview mirror like a hawk while running FSD. Lots of phantom braking incidents, particularly during the day when shadows are most harsh.

The only thing I would say is that unlike teaching your kid, there is not any two-way communication, and sometime it communicates the exact opposite of what it then does. The beta software will also make some sudden decisions at times when you do not expect it, partly because it does not seem like any decision needs to be made at that time. An example would be suddenly attempting to turn the opposite direction while in the middle of a turn. Or for me the other day it notified me on the screen that it was going to change lanes to avoid cones, and then immediately changed lanes the opposite directions *toward* the cones.

The way the car behaves is not subtle. An example is slamming on the brakes mid lane change. Or yesterday it very suddenly when approaching a light slowing down, right before stopping it suddenly decided it wanted to be in the next lane over and just went for it, right in front of a car approaching from behind in that lane. Yes you have the ability to take control, but it acts very quickly at times.

The biggest risk in my opinion is that its erratic behavior will cause someone else to hit you. Driving without accident is a collaborative effort by all cars together, and predictability is a very important aspect of that. The beta software is very unpredictable currently.

If you feel dangerous with it, don't use it!

As long as I have access to the steering, braking and accelerator at all times without delay, I have no problem with erratic behavior. Even with the very stable AP on the limited access freeway I am ready at moments notice to take over. It's simply not a problem. It's already saving lives by making the driver more attentive and aware.

I don't. If someone is following closely, I'll disengage. I also don't wait until the last second if the car looks like it is going to do something unsafe (run a red light, hit a parked vehicle, both scenarios that I have encountered during my week with the software) - I let things play out as long as I can safely.

I'm also keeping my foot over the accelerator if I'm concerned about braking, and keeping my foot over the brake if I'm concerned about acceleration. At least in my experience, I feel more like I'm performing - rather than receiving - a service. Which is fine, and in line with my expectations. I wouldn't have applied otherwise.

Am I wrong in thinking that the key indicator that Berlin and Austin are ready for production when we see logistics lots built out with SuperChargers and areas for car carriers to load up? I know both Berlin and Austin have a few SuperChargers on site, but dont think installed yet at Berlin. Yet nothing like what you see at Shanghai. Arent those areas needed before anything beyond test cars get produced. Dont think they would want to store and load new cars on gravel and dirt lots.

Because Tesla is battery constrained. This will change as Megapack switchs over to LFP chemistry, and Tesla 4680 cells begin to set the price in the battery cell market.

I think this latter point is one of the most unappreciated aspects of Tesla's 4680 initiative. Whenever Tesla goes to negotiate (or re-negotiate) a price/supply contract with a 3rd party, they can say "nice price, that's only 25% higher than our own costs. What can you do for us? ;)

Cheers!
What we do not know is the progress with 4680 production by suppliers. We probably can assume Panasonic might be the first one to enter production, but beyond that we have no clear assumptions to make. In any event we are probably safe to assume that quite high scaling of 4680's by 2023 will include not only Kato road, but Shanghai, Grüneheide, Austin and probably two suppliers. Well within reason might also be CATL producing not only 4680's but also producing complete packs in their new plant adjacent to Tesla Shanghai.

However this develops we can be assured that 2023 4680 battery production is quite likely to be on the order of enough to support several million million vehicles plus major ramping of energy products, probably using multiple sizes since 1680 and 2170 will be in production for years to come.

Tesla Economist, among others, seems confident that vehicle production alone will be around two million in 2022. before all this ramping. @The Accountant has been doing excellent work trying to make longer term forecasts which also postulate enormous continuing growth.

We seem very much to be seeing continuing growth far beyond the 40% compound rate postulated by Elon. The actual factory expansions in every case are clearly anticipating unprecedented production velocity increases due to large presses, including larger and larger Gigaones. The Grüneheide paint shop, already visible, shows vast speed increases with major quality improvements as well, but with quite clever robotics that can be much more economical in use of paint and water. On top of that the famed BIW in 45 seconds.

As existing factories gradually are retrofitted speeds rise, costs go down and quality rises.

As for Tesla Energy(TE), with battery supplies rising by massive amounts in 2022 and 2023, suddenly Megapack and Powerpack and Powerwall can all ramp. Megapack starts at $ one million, so those numbers will be astounding. We cannot really assess probable margins, but with Tesla manufacturing of these products beginning to scale well, improved manufacturing will certainly begin a virtuous cycle beginning seriously in 2022.

SO all our best minds are still pretty much ignoring TE because it has not been material...yet. It will be next year. One continuing question is solar roof and solar panels. On that one I have no idea, especially since the existing manufacturers are rapidly improving efficiency and reducing prices. Maybe Tesla will not try to do anything major there, perhaps solar roof might be the exception.

SO, folks, when @The Accountant says that Free Cash Flow (FCF) will be $1.7 billion for 3rd quarter, it seems all that cash will be deployed improving manufacturing capacity and introducing already announced TE products as well as Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster and not-Chinese Model 2, and not-German model 2. What ever those two models will be they'll be very high volume.

It is also to be noted that roughly 40% of the world's auto market has zero Tesla presence. When we postulate growth the distribution system, including Superchargers, will require massive expansion. Thus, some of the Free Cash Flow will be devoted to vast increase in production capacity for Superchargers, plus support for other brands charging. The faster Tesla does that, the more revenues from Supercharger become relevant also. Even when Superchargers are priced to breakeven for Tesla vehicles, they'll price to profit from competitors charging. With all the growth, the sales and charging revenues will be far broader and more efficient than they are today.

From market entry terms, we may see Texas, Michigan, New York and other US States begin to life their direct sales bans. Just as materially will be filling in distribution holes in every single significant market today, including even California. Countries such as Brazil, India, plus the South East Asia, Easern and Southern Europe are all ready to support Tesl entry.

We keep having such discussion as this from time to time. Now, though, it is different. Tesla having FCF of >2 Billion dollars per quarter permits those market expansions and product broadening to be accomplished almost simultaneously. WHY? Because the battery supplies are finally about to rise exponentially next year and the year after.

Yes - I watch my rearview mirror like a hawk while running FSD. Lots of phantom braking incidents, particularly during the day when shadows are most harsh.
Yes, there is a simple solution to a related problem.

Gates, as used for gated communities, are not opaque but present as a regular pattern as do shadows.

I fold my mirrors automatically at locations with gates.

If you link a FSD stop with a mirror fold, the problem resolves in an easy and immediate way, providing time.

As long as I have access to the steering, braking and accelerator at all times without delay, I have no problem with erratic behavior. Even with the very stable AP on the limited access freeway I am ready at moments notice to take over. It's simply not a problem. It's already saving lives by making the driver more attentive and aware.
This reminds me of my first "Demo Flight" out of San Jose, Ca with an extremely relaxed instructor.

I'm normally someone who likes to try stuff out, but I found an Flight Instructor on a cold call who allowed me to land this little Cessna 152 plane myself. I had no plans to do this and the instructions didn't come until about 5 min before landing... something about flaring, lol. The runway was kinda huge as I recall, so there was no missing pavement at least!

Point being, my most vivid memory of that landing was "Was my Instructor just insane? How could someone be so trusting and relaxed, and doesn't know me from Adam, and no classes?" In his his calm voice, he just says "Go ahead, give it a shot." I never sat up so high in my seat - one hand ready for the throttle in case. I think it went OK (still here). This was in the 80's, so doubt this practice is routine today.

But this example explains how relaxed I can be simply because I can take over the vehicle at anytime (and without a fuss or fight which can clearly occur in an Aircraft).

We will all adapt to this over time, and maybe only the lucky few with FSD ownership will still be allowed to turn it off on occasion. Until then, prepare for the freak-out on the Street. It's the most likely target, good luck everyone! HODL

No need to put words in my mouth, I did not say that I feel dangerous with it. I am also ready at moment's notice to take over, and as such I am willing to use it. You said "I don't understand the line of thinking that FSD beta is dangerous", and I was trying to explain how it can be dangerous. I do not trust that everyone given access will be as careful as is necessary to use it, and it absolutely without question behaves in a manner that I would consider "accident-prone", if not dangerous, if left unchecked.