Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can surely find someone with the right credentials who hasn't displayed outright bias in their work.
I don't know that you can. Essentially, anybody who has worked in the field as a scientist, engineer, or businessperson has priors. That just comes with the territory. Cummings may have LIDAR, but Fridman has driver monitoring, etc.

Essentially, the result of the view that we can't have people with priors in the government is that no scientists, engineers, or businesspeople can participate in government.

As there are knuckleheads whose posts suggest they think that while I’m asleep they can rant truly jejune material expressing their pro-/anti- Democrat or Republican platforms, pro-/anti- current or prior US administrations, all of them hanging on the appearance of one name to a bureaucratic position….

Wrong.

The alternative is for me to close this thread each night when I turn off the lights. That, of course, would be just as wrong but at least this thread would stay more closely On Topic.

Meaning that Ms. Cummings probably can't do much harm no matter how hard she tries.
You assume she's not being brought in to perform a hitjob. The Administration is well aware of her opinions via her online history.

Back on topic, TSLA just climbed back to the Upper Bollinger Band:

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2021-10-20.10-45.png

Cheers!

Sandy Munro is seeing red. This is just a teaser but get the popcorn ready folks.

Lol....yes, old white dudes are getting disproportionately furious over this one.

It's regulation folks. No big deal. Someone of literally no significance or regulatory power is looking critically at Tesla's FSD. It's gonna be ok.

I get the feeling if this were a man the response would be more muted.

I expect price to rise sharply at close due to FOMO. Just my expectation, which is often wrong.
I do think that the power hour is where many will place their bets but I think the share price can go either way. The FOMO crowd will be up against those exiting before the potential SELL THE NEWS tomorrow.

Pretty curious that this announcement came this week. Just connecting dots.

From what I can tell, it hasn't. I've not seen any announcement. What we DO have is some reporting of a leak that something *might* happen, and at the same time, a drop of a whole lot of material to slam her. Perfect thing to hijack discussion on the day before earnings. Those seem like dots worth connecting. Its pretty clear that the shorties know how reactionary we are.

Lol....yes, old white dudes are getting disproportionately furious over this one.

It's regulation folks. No big deal. Someone of literally no significance or regulatory power is looking critically at Tesla's FSD. It's gonna be ok.

I get the feeling if this were a man the response would be more muted.

What the hell does this have to do about race?

Thus her views on Elon are mixed. Her reservations are almost entirely about release testing and documentation. Otherwise she’s supportive.
@jbcarioca , given she characterized Elon in her description of "overly privileged, narcissistic and insecure white men who need to assuage themselves that they are part of some greater good and here to save us from the folly that they created.", is it still your view that "Her reservations are almost entirely about release testing and documentation"?

I generally tend to agree with your points of view, but you seem to be turning a blind eye to some significant indicators that, while she may indeed have reservations informed by her past technical experience, she may also have personal axe to grind with Elon. (see also: "wants to kick him in the head" tweets)

From what I can tell, it hasn't. I've not seen any announcement. What we DO have is some reporting of a leak that something *might* happen, and at the same time, a drop of a whole lot of material to slam her. Perfect thing to hijack discussion on the day before earnings. Those seem like dots worth connecting. Its pretty clear that the shorties know how reactionary we are.

its-a-trap-meme.png

;)

People kare disagreeing with me about this. She is an advocate of new technology, provided it has been thoroughly tested and documented. Her views are influenced by the F-18, quite distinctly. She also seeks diverse viewpoints.

Thus her views on Elon are mixed. Her reservations are almost entirely about release testing and documentation. Otherwise she’s supportive.

For some reason many of us assume she’s against TSLA interests because of some of her followers, because she does not answer some emails and because she has interests with lidar.
Elon has lidar interests and uses them with SpaceX.

Please. Try to take a rational view. Just because Biden is a union advocate is not an automatic reason to view all his appointments in a negative light.

For goodness sake, please read her actual papers. Check their content and sourcing. Ignore random tweets and/or lists of following/followers. If you were able to check mine you’d find I follow a number of people whose views I largely detest. I have zero interest in seeing only things with which I agree. Editing out all disagreement yields myopia or worse.

Ms. Cummings is a human being, a thoughtful person and a technically qualified one. She knows more about complex systems, including neural networks, than do almost all of us.

I do not expect to agree with her every utterance. I do expect to listen. There are only a few people who’ve lived with the consequences of inadequate vehicle automation with overly simplistic neural network design. (the F18). She also understands both overconfidence and lack of knowledge in operating vehicles with advanced systems.

We owe it to ourselves to be willing to understand that FSD and autopilot are far from perfect. I cannot be the only one who has been forced to disconnect to avoid an accident!

Tesla is making great progress, but it is not perfect. Every one of us has seem a software update that was a step back in some respect. It does not harm us to seek improved process control and consistent regulatory climate.

Who knows, Supercruise might be forced to notify loudly when it disconnects on a highway. Remember the agency has asked data from almost every OEM. Tesla is first and most covered because Tesla has more than does anybody else. Is that not sppropriate?
That's good enough for me (considering the source).
Personally though...any woman that can't put a photo up showing she isn't 30 anymore has me worried. She's 55. And in real photos looks it.

Despite that lack of response, the article itself appeared to be reasonably accurate. The software versions and vehicle-specific data were not in the article beyond that the vehicles one and three had 'different software versions' and vehicle two has FSD. The major conclusions that there should be some regulatory oversight and that use of agile techniques should still have software changes tested and documented are uncontroversial. Elon Musk has on occasion suggested as much.

Ms. Cummings is distinctly qualified for the proposed role. Specifically, she has very extensive experience with advanced aircraft control systems. In that context she absolutely knows the material between the Boeing 737 MAX MCAS (undisclosed to operators/pilots, largely untested, operated without notifying pilots) as well as the F-18. Both are excellent case studies for the development of better and fully documented control systems. The F-18, 100% fly-by-wire(FBW, is an especially relevant case: Also from aviation are another two cases from Airbus that demonstrate the risk of complacency.:
First, an airshow crash solely due to an exceedingly experienced pilot having overconfidence in the first commercial FBW aircraft:
Second, an Airbus A330 crash due to pilots ignoring pitot tube freezing:

Ms. Cummings knows very well the risks of inattention and overconfidence. She is NOT a critic of highly automated systems but she IS an advocate for careful documentation, driver monitoring and consistent timely warning of system inability to perform.

Her criticism of Tesla Autopilot is not idle nor is it ignorant. I do not believe she opposes their development and deployment. I don't even think she's anti-Tesla. She is acutely aware of both the positive and negative aspects of L2 systems including the papers invention of L2+.

Bluntly we all know these systems require careful use with diligent driver monitoring. That is what Level 2 implies, but many people do ignore the limitations and those people also get into easily preventable accidents. That in no way detracts from the obvious benefits including much lower accident rates and lower serious injuries and deaths in the Tesla systems. The dual edge of much safer but also high potential risk of inattention is quite perfectly analogous to the aircraft situations also.

She will argue for OTA updates to have rigorous vetting, and chances are high she'll argue for a formal standard for documentation. That need not even slow down OTA but it will require better release vetting and documentation. That will be "A Good Thing". It will also generate major controversy, such things are not easy.

Many may disagree but these are my views. With both FSD and FBW aircraft operation in my history, I really want better documentation, better alerting systems and driver training (maybe even some delivery-based trying would help).

Just think, please: Plaids are being delivered with ZERO instruction. When I got mine it was me who explained things to the delivery person. How can that be a good thing? I had never driven one until mine. I had read the entire manual multiple times (perhaps a residue of aircraft pilot type rating ground training habits) but I had never driven one.

How many accidents are happening because of bad training or none at all? Th spectacular ones are clearly the result of overconfidence, and ignorance can exacerbate that.

So, a does of Ms. Commings is, in my opinion, a good thing, overdue.
I actually agree with your assessment of her work to extent you reviewed that paper. But you seem to lack additional information indicating her unprofessionalism and bias, not to mention the now disclosed conflicts.

It is too bad. Someone with her technical expertise and background could have been a good person to fairly assess the technology and what regulatory oversight should be applied to that technology.

But in her case that background and experience is clearly inside a biased and unprofessional person that simply cannot be trusted to be fair and impartial and driven purely by the science and evidence when it comes to Tesla.

Stock is at $864 folks. Why is everyone so spicy? Apparently money can't buy happiness.
Whomever said money can't buy happiness.....doesn't have any :) j.k.....i'm leaving for the day....too many discussions on Missy (whatever her name is) for my liking. I'll be back after earnings...good or bad....ride or die TMC'ers!!!

NHTSA can receive and potentially act on petitions, essentially complaints. For instance in this one, coming from one of TMC’s own, the NHTSA rejected the petition and did not open a safety investigation. NHTSA rejects petition for formal investigation into Tesla’s battery management software – TechCrunch

NHTSA can also fine companies for not complying with regulations for emissions and various safety issues.

Also see this account of the, mostly impotent, NTSB criticizing the NHTSA for being too permissive re driver assistance tech. Federal Agencies Clash over How Much to Regulate Self-Driving Cars

Any and all actions taken by NHTSA are subject to review in a real court of law where actions need to be justified by facts. Federal agencies are frowned upon by the courts when they use the powers granted to them to take actions against private individuals or companies without well-documented reasons. They must follow the science and be able to back up every action they take or they will be taught the lesson that with power comes responsibility.