Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It important to get the attribution right with success and failure.

The most probable outcome for Tesla would have been failure if not for Elon’s:

1) demonstrated success and experience gained at PayPal.
2) decision and ability to lead a team to build the best car, not just another car that happened to be electric.
3) friends with bottomless pockets, earned while at PayPal.

1 & 3 are about value proposition, scaling and credibility. This is the cost and finance part of the business.

2 is about transcendently durable demand.

If we cross this with the Sequoia start up risk model:

1) Market risk (people will not buy at price point)
2) Technology risk (cannot be done)
3) Financial risk (company will run out of money first)
4) People risk (Company does not have and cannot get the people needed)

You don’t get perfect alignment. You need JB for technology risk.
You need Franz for market risk.
Add these to financial skills Elon brings and the location almost on campus.

Long story short, Tesla was located in geography and time to be well posed, if supported by people with bottomless pockets.

Bottomless pockets are a key reason TSLA made it to here. I guess the math helps create the confidence that supports continued investment.

But thanks to the people are in order.

Want to make sue that comes across

What a crazy day.
my dad passed away this morning after 6 months of recurring gastric cancer.
my anesthesiologist was day trading PHUN while I was doing rotator cuff repairs and trapezectomies, he bought 50k and sold with 500k profit in one day. He bought in November, sold at $18, bought back at 6 and sold at 12 for a 550k profit on his TFSA, all this while doing perfect regional blocks for my patients. I didn’t even know it was possible for a stock to do +1200% in a single day.View attachment 724415

and TSLA closed above $900 even with a call wall at $900.

what is going on? The world is upside down.

at least I have next week off to recover.
Hugs.

You picked up the ball! Now let's see if all the others will break it back to the non TSLA/Tesla moment that resulted in them being Teslanaires today... If she'd have never gone to summer camp, so if someone didn't suggest it, like her best friend was going so she begged to go...
But come on people think...what was the non-stock non Tesla thing that tripped you into the Teslasphere.
It is the week end. Time to come clean. There had to be something Butterfly wingish that led you to TSLA besides the car.

my friends demetri and emmet had early model S’s and were investing in tsla. the car was super cool to ride in and drive but i wasn’t in a position at the time to afford that, or even invest much in the stock, other than a few share. lots of water cooler talk between many of us during that 2012-2016 time period especially. demetri got me reading TMC ~2016 give or take, which coincided with me having a bit more money to invest with, which led to increasing purchases. later I eventually ‘signed up’ at tmc.

…around 4:45am on march 31, 2016 i showed up in line (with my friend milton, another of demetri’s ‘converts’) at the westchester mall in white plains waiting for the mall, and the tesla store, to open so we could reserve the model 3. demetri, during that period, had been spreading the word pretty heavily and talked to just about anyone who would listen..a real ambassador of the product, company, and elon. he must have sold a dozen teslas or so and didn’t even worry about referrals, just the type of dude he is. by the time sep 2018 arrived, i had a decent amount invested in tesla (for me anyway) and was ready to receive the m3. i haven’t looked back since.

the summer of 2018 (may journalist lashings, pedo guy, 420 secured) was a roller coaster. but that was merely a warmup compared to what was to come in jan of 2019, where we were back around 360 only to plummet to less than 180 intraday in may. but it was that stretch in 2018 that really hardened me for the may swoon. i bought everything i could. it still wasn’t enough to allow me to “retire” now, but i can’t complain.

i guess i can say my only wish, as i imagine many others feel, is that i bought more tsla back then. but in reality i had about as much as i could afford (~90% of my free cash) already in it.

….except of course for the money i paid for the 3 - elon conveniently failed to mention that portion of the total cost of ownership. a slight oversight by him to say the least. thanks buddy!

but you won’t find me on social media complaining about him, only thanking him…and of course demetri and emmett, and all of our other friends who were eager to discuss and explore with open minds.

and a special thanks to those who laughed at and ridiculed my investment choices along the way, further cementing my resolve. ✌🏼

my friends demetri and emmet had early model S’s and were investing in tsla. the car was super cool to ride in and drive but i wasn’t in a position at the time to afford that, or even invest much in the stock, other than a few share. lots of water cooler talk between many of us during that 2012-2016 time period especially. demetri got me reading TMC ~2016 give or take, which coincided with me having a bit more money to invest with, which led to increasing purchases. later I eventually ‘signed up’ at tmc.

…around 4:45am on march 31, 2016 i showed up in line (with my friend milton, another of demetri’s ‘converts’) at the westchester mall in white plains waiting for the mall, and the tesla store, to open so we could reserve the model 3. demetri, during that period, had been spreading the word pretty heavily and talked to just about anyone who would listen..a real ambassador of the product, company, and elon. he must have sold a dozen teslas or so and didn’t even worry about referrals, just the type of dude he is. by the time sep 2018 arrived, i had a decent amount invested in tesla (for me anyway) and was ready to receive the m3. i haven’t looked back since.

the summer of 2018 (may journalist lashings, pedo guy, 420 secured) was a roller coaster. but that was merely a warmup compared to what was to come in jan of 2019, where we were back around 360 only to plummet to less than 180 intraday in may. but it was that stretch in 2018 that really hardened me for the may swoon. i bought everything i could. it still wasn’t enough to allow me to “retire” now, but i can’t complain.

i guess i can say my only wish, as i imagine many others feel, is that i bought more tsla back then. but in reality i had about as much as i could afford (~90% of my free cash) already in it.

….except of course for the money i paid for the 3 - elon conveniently failed to mention that portion of the total cost of ownership. a slight oversight by him to say the least. thanks buddy!

but you won’t find me on social media complaining about him, only thanking him…and of course demetri and emmett, and all of our other friends who were eager to discuss and explore with open minds.

and a special thanks to those who laughed at and ridiculed my investment choices along the way, further cementing my resolve. ✌🏼
So we have to find demetri's butterfly cuz some guy convincing you about tesla isn't the butterfly. The butterfly would be something happened outside of tesla...completely outside.
Like: This super hot girl caught me staring at her with my mouth open, and she smiled... eventually somehow we got together...she had a brother called demetri....

We all start a VC firm to invest in environmentally conscious disruptive tech companies? :) (moar TSLA)

For me, my unrealized gains will continue to be unrealized until there is a compelling need to realize them.

We need another split already, my $1,000 per payroll isn’t buying much these days. Certainly not what it was 2yrs ago.

Wife: How much more TSLA did we get this week?
Me: 1
Wife: dozen?
Me: No, one…

Last edited:
We all start a VC firm to invest in environmentally conscious disruptive tech companies? :) (moar TSLA)

For me, my unrealized gains will continue to be unrealized until there is a compelling need to realize them.

We need another split already, my $1,000 per payroll isn’t buying much these days. Certainly not what it was 2yrs ago.

Don’t worry I had some bonds called this week and using SMR logic, I bought more shares today virtually guaranteeing daily drops $5-$20/ sh next week.

You’re welcome.

What a crazy day.
my dad passed away this morning after 6 months of recurring gastric cancer.
my anesthesiologist was day trading PHUN while I was doing rotator cuff repairs and trapezectomies, he bought 50k and sold with 500k profit in one day. He bought in November, sold at $18, bought back at 6 and sold at 12 for a 550k profit on his TFSA, all this while doing perfect regional blocks for my patients. I didn’t even know it was possible for a stock to do +1200% in a single day.View attachment 724415

and TSLA closed above $900 even with a call wall at $900.

what is going on? The world is upside down.

at least I have next week off to recover.
So sorry to hear about your Dad, deepest condolences to you and your family for the loss. What’s amazing is you pulled yourself together and finished the surgeries, I am sure your Dad will be smiling and immensely proud to have raised such a dedicated and caring son. Kudos to your work ethic and to the parents who instilled it.

Can we all get behind this?​

Petition to stop Cummins

Screenshot_20211022-215845_Chrome.jpg

Tesla has increased the price of the Model S/X Long Range by $5,000 each. There’s now only a $15k price difference between X long range and X Plaid.
Tesla has increased the price of US Model Y Long Range and Model 3 Standard Range Plus variants by $2,000. No change to performance variants.

• Model S LR: $94,990
• Model X LR: $104,990
• Model Y LR starting price: $56,990
• Model 3 Standard Range Plus starring price: $43,990

Yep. And over the next two months Elon will likely be selling twice as many shares as KoGuan holds. However, I think the market can probable absorb them without a significant impact as long as they are sold "responsibly".
The weird thing about this sale is, the price does not really matter to Elon. His main motivation is to exercise and sell close to the exercise price and pay it as taxes to IRS / CA. He ends up paying a fixed share of his holdings. This is not the dynamic when Tesla raises capital where it seeks to get best execution.

This could then actually be structured as a block sale, at let's say VWAP of the day and settled after market. And Elon can exercise exactly the amount needed for that sale.

If the other side is a big name like Buffett, that sale could actually be very bullish.
Elon also doesn't need to do this in a single huge transaction. Could be sold in a few blocks.

My spidey senses say it could be Buffet (BYD deal, Elon might have dropped a Twitter hint, most valuable manufacturer in the US and how can Buffett miss this, he's is sitting on too much cash, etc.), but probably less than 20% chance.

The most hilarious outcome though would be if Mackenzie Scott picked up a stake. That Besos stock has been dead money for a while now.