Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but in hindsight he was right (for the wrong reasons perhaps).
The issue is he claimed it was because of Bitcoin but obviously didn't mean it since he bought back in even though Tesla didn't sell Bitcoin. He also turned negative towards the company, helping create the dip he wanted. I consider that to be dishonest.

Ditto.

Well, similar, @OrthoSurg and @Sunlight :

TSLA 55%
ARKK 2.5%
Index 30.5%
Fixed income 12% (holdover from big early COVID de-risk in June 2020)

Ha! Similar: :p

TSLA 36%*
HOME 24%
CASH 40%
Fixed income 10%**

Cheers!

*TSLA started at ~3% in Apr 2018, my TSLA is at 125% CAGR right now.
** Prior to receiving future O.A.S. benefits

TL;dr HODL!

Last edited:
Right. The SP surge in January reflected a change in public mindset that Tesla would survive rather than go bankrupt. This surge reflects a new public mindset that Tesla will win.

I suspect that this change in public perception not only impacts the SP, but also demand for the product, which was already high. It’s a classic virtuous cycle.

Yes. This new surge is based on the long-awaited awakening in the investment community that Tesla is likely to not only win, but win big. The market as a whole is VERY slow to see things like this. In 2019 I suggested that the game is not really won until Tesla shows Wall Street the money. That's how slow Wall Street is. Now, Tesla has shown Wall Street a taste of the money and they have years left to continue to chip away at their disbelief as results continue to stun and astound.

I don't try to second guess how high a stock in this position can go, especially over the next several months, because I've been in this stock game a long time and have watched stocks I've sold continue to walk away with big wins, higher than I thought they had any business going. I'm better at the buy low/sell high game than most but it's a game of odds. There are big gains to be had but it requires hitting the peaks with your sells and the valleys with your buys. Most people cannot second guess the market well enough to beat the long and strong strategy over longer periods, even in a tax-free account. Because stocks will behave as expected until they do something totally unexpected. For me, it's not worth the effort. It can consume your day to day existence with no assurance that you'll be able to beat the proven method, buy and hold. Just make sure you are in the right company(s). In a taxable account the odds are at least three times as bad that your trading will be productive (with a company as strong as Tesla).

My advice to those who have decided to play that game with an outstanding company like Tesla is to be willing to bite the bullet and go back in big at a higher cost when you can see that you've blown it. Better yet, don't play that game. Ride the wave. Yes, the wave will end but a new one will pick you up and send you closer to the beach you are trying to get to.

Last edited:

From the article:

Still, Morgan Stanley made a clear case for why Tesla’s more likely to see upside than down. “The Tesla you see today is the product of pre-COVID, sub $100 billion Tesla,” analysts wrote.

“The Tesla you’ll likely see over the next 12 to 18 months would demonstrate the capabilities of the Trillion dollar Tesla: emphasizing step-changes in manufacturing, cost reduction... expansion in capacity, model lineup and services offerings,” the bank said, adding that the company “has been the world’s most valuable carmaker for some time.”

There are two easy ways for this to become reality:
  • Invent a portal to a parallel world, called GM-dreamworld. Then, substitute our world for the GM-dreamworld.
  • Invent a time machine, and go back and correct all of GMs past mistakes. Only problem is: How far would you need to go back?
GM has a new cost saving plan that will enable them to quickly ramp up EV production. It's called batteries not included.

I

I agree with that but this situation is rather unprecedented so I hope they tread carefully. In the worldwide FSD monopoly scenario, we will have never seen a single organization with more power and wealth than this. I mean, they might end up with more annual income than the US government.

There are two easy ways for this to become reality:

Mary Barra is counting plugin hybrids as 'EVs'. Likely even still that GM won't catch Tesla by 2025, since they'll be up to ~5M and GM will quite likely be down below 5M (total, with < half their sales being 'electrified').

GM gonna need dat gummit cheeze... :p

Cheers!

“The Tesla you’ll likely see over the next 12 to 18 months would demonstrate the capabilities of the Trillion dollar Tesla: emphasizing step-changes in manufacturing, cost reduction... expansion in capacity, model lineup and services offerings,” the bank said, adding that the company “has been the world’s most valuable carmaker for some time.”

Also, the other automakers are William Miller in the clip just standing there watching it happen.

Tesla is selling cars to Hertz at full price. What would you have Tesla do to keep Hertz from buying its cars?
You could argue that Hertz is getting a de-facto rebate by locking in the price now in a (a) generally high-inflation environment and (b) when Teslas specifically are in high demand.
Such a deal may become quite unlikely in the near future.

Tesla could have chosen to deliver the Teslas to Hertz at whatever is the going rate when taking actual delivery.
I aggree that such a move would have been even more hardcore than given them no rebate, which is seen as hardcore now.

I predict that this Hertz deal, aside from the many strategic advantages, will be seen as very good in 1-2 years, purely from a price stand-point.

Tesla could choose to stagger the next huge deal for either Hertz or another corporation in delivery chunks or installments, or some such method, in order to take into account the high likelyhood of rising prices. The buying company would then either pay the going rate at time of delivery or decline delivery and payment both - their choice.

Above approach may seem like harsh terms. But Hertz may be the canary in the coal mine, waking up traditional thinkers.
Harsh deals may become more normal as autonomy inches closer toward becomming more promising, trustworthy and eventually full release.
(With the traditional disclaimer that we don't yet know if self-driving is truly possible)

And when the Kraken is released (Robotaxi cababillity) many companies like Hertz will line up and prostrate themselves and accept whatever terms Elon and Tesla deem fit to offer them.
For without Teslas their future will be grim - or none.

The issue is he claimed it was because of Bitcoin but obviously didn't mean it since he bought back in even though Tesla didn't sell Bitcoin. He also turned negative towards the company, helping create the dip he wanted. I consider that to be dishonest.
Exactly. The worst part about Garry Black is that he has an agenda. Frankly, it looks like he does not care about Tesla. He cares about making a buck.

We've seen that before, folks. It is your money, but I will not use anything of his as a guide.

He also turned negative towards the company, helping create the dip he wanted. I consider that to be dishonest.

So, Gary Black spent his life on Wall St, and he's dishonest. But then, I repeat myself... ;)

suppose-you-were-an-idiot.png

Cheers!

Mary Barra is counting plugin hybrids as 'EVs'. Likely even still that GM won't catch Tesla by 2025, since they'll be up to ~5M and GM will quite likely be down below 5M (total, with < half their sales being 'electrified').

GM gonna need dat gummit cheeze... :p

Cheer
Honestly can someone tell me what Electric of any kind I can order today and get delivered in the next 6 months?
Bolt - Likely
Hummer - Nope. Will they even start delivering in next 6 months. Has anyone heard about them getting close to starting production?
Lyriq - Nope. Will it even make it in 2022?

What else? They dont make the Volt any longer. So as far as I know they dont have any PHEVs.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
I would also like to add my voice to the chorus of Thanks for the invaluable contributions to this forum by so many intelligent, articulate individuals from such a wide range of back-grounds, experience and geographic locations, which gave me the confidence not only to hold through the tough times, but to go all in during the darkest days of early 2019.

🛩️👨‍✈️

Just so you know, we are actually all tech geeks in California, mostly ex-Tesla employees. We just pretend to be diversified around the country and the world in order that we appear more credible.

You are our first real Canadian, so welcome to the group! 🤪

/s

I'm of the opinion that's exactly what he's trying to do. Worst case he's truly in charge of VW, best case he becomes head of Automotive at Tesla.

I think we can all agree Elon's work on cars is mostly done and it's time to move his focus to Energy and SpaceX. He can poke his head back in to make sure the doublings of capacity at various GF's moves optimally.
Not sure if Diess is smart enough or hard-working enough for Tesla. They seem to prefer growing talent in-house.

From the article:

Still, Morgan Stanley made a clear case for why Tesla’s more likely to see upside than down. “The Tesla you see today is the product of pre-COVID, sub $100 billion Tesla,” analysts wrote.

Has there ever been a company like this, ever? I think it's clearly been hard for people to wrap their heads around the potential, but it's finally starting to get through.

Gary being a fund manager should just care about one thing, making his clients money. Those who thinks he should care about Tesla the company like many here is not part his job description.

And yes everytime someone makes a decision to trim, they will show some justification for it...or many here interpreting as him spreading FUD news so he can buy back lower....

Just so you know, we are actually all tech geeks in California, mostly ex-Tesla employees. We just pretend to be diversified around the country and the world in order that we appear more credible.

You are our first real Canadian, so welcome to the group! 🤪

/s
Thanks Stealth, but @Artful Dodger is at least one fellow canuck that was here before me

Has there ever been a company like this, ever? I think it's clearly been hard for people to wrap their heads around the potential, but it's finally starting to get through.

There are two angles there to consider that the author hits on nicely:

1) The enormous economic potential

2) The value of solving big problems instead of making widgets for the sake of prosperity

The first is easy to calculate/estimate, as ridiculous as those seem on first glance.

The second has immeasurable value.

Together those two facets of Tesla put it in a completely untouchable category of company and investment.

Yeah, all his whining to Elon about PR and advertising seems to have vanished.