Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple question from an ignorant:
we are flooded with a stream of good news from Tesla. Demand in Europe is great (Norway is flabbergasting), new markets are opening, Model Y, Semi and Roadster in stealth mode, China GF3 looking good, Supercharger 3, possibly S/X refresh, bond dept paid in cash, Maxwell aquisition, ships travelling all over the world for EOQ rush, even Solar Roof and Powerwalls seem to be in the right track...

AND YET

SP is low, SEC affaire creates uncertainty, FUD is at peak high. I have no doubt that there is a well-funded coordination behind this, but the question is really:
what are they trying to accomplish? is there some goal aside FUD per se and a low SP? Are they trying to push a long squeeze? Can they achieve it?

It doesn't seem that Tesla is in need of capital, so the Chanos Fairfax playbook can't be replicated. Unless I'm missing something.

My guess:
  • To profit from PUT options on Options Friday. Do you think the NYT hit job and the downgrade timing was accidental? ;) A $10 drop can be very profitable if they know the timing.
  • Some of the TSLAQ cult are genuinely convinced about the "cash crunch" thesis, and expect Chapter 11 any day. (No, really!)
  • SEC FUD is primarily directed at institutional investors, who have no choice but to take certain risks seriously.
  • Most of the demand FUD is directed at buyers, this is done to play for time, to help ICE incumbents.
  • For Chanos: the goal is to live another day. Maybe an asteroid will drop on Fremont?
:D

Last edited:
we are flooded with a stream of good news from Tesla. Demand in Europe is great (Norway is flabbergasting), new markets are opening, Model Y, Semi and Roadster in stealth mode, China GF3 looking good, Supercharger 3, possibly S/X refresh, bond dept paid in cash, Maxwell aquisition, ships travelling all over the world for EOQ rush, even Solar Roof and Powerwalls seem to be in the right track...

AND YET

SP is low, SEC affaire creates uncertainty, FUD is at peak high. I have no doubt that there is a well-funded coordination behind this, but the question is really:
what are they trying to accomplish? is there some goal aside FUD per se and a low SP? Are they trying to push a long squeeze? Can they achieve it?

It doesn't seem that Tesla is in need of capital, so the Chanos Fairfax playbook can't be replicated. Unless I'm missing something.

Delaying tesla.

Elon had to slow down and actually show profit.

For the rest who present small retail shorts. Hatred of Elon . Hatred of successful ppl. Entrenched interest in the brand they already have. Hatred of anything Green.

In my life, I hide the fact that I am pro EV, pro green and pro tesla. So the average ppl tells me what they think of EV. Because of the lack of commercials, most ppl cannot distinguish Tesla from run of a mill EV. Most of them belittle Tesla as a toy car with no range. Which is better than before, which was a lying dishonest company making richman's toys.

AND YET

Many shorts really do believe their short thesis. I always go back to Amazon as an example. For years after it was apparent that Amazon was on course to own online retail, if not all of retail, they got hammered in the financial press. Amazon will never make a profit, blah, blah, blah. Also similar to Tesla, Amazon was disrupting a huge industry that advertised, while Amazon did little advertising if their own.

So the bad financial press against Tesla is a combination of true believers in Tesla’s demise, political partisanship, and negative articles written by those who have a stake in Tesla not succeeding (ie. pretty much all media due to advertising). I don’t think there is much Tesla can do other than put its head down and execute. It’ll eventually become obvious that Tesla is doing well. It’ll just take a while...

I'm trying to click on that article to read it but I keep coming to this page and I can't get past it. Help?

View attachment 389191
LOL!

Karen, I think I speak for many many people here when I say that you have moved to the top of my list of people I'd love to hang out and have a drink with! Too funny.

Dan

Delaying tesla.

Elon had to slow down and actually show profi.

Yes, you can’t discount this. All the FUD raised the price of capital for Tesla. Tesla would probably have rolled over that $900M bond they repaid if they could get good interest rates, but they couldn’t. The FUD has had a material effect on Tesla’s capabilities. It probably also has dampened sales as well.

Tesla is disrupting the energy sector, automobiles, and media. Oh and he pissed off Wall Street too. You can’t expect these huge industries to not fight back. And spreading FUD, while not very moral, isn’t illegal.

Tesla price target lowered to $180 from $200 at Cowen TSLA - The Fly

Tesla price target lowered to $180 from $200 at Cowen

Cowen analyst Jeffrey Osborne lowered his Q1 deliveries estimates for Tesla to reflect both state government and third party data that he said suggests deliveries will be weaker than his prior expectations. He cut his Model 3 delivery forecast to 47,500 from 55,000 and lowered his Model S/X delivery forecast to 18,000 from 21,500. Osborne, who expects U.S. demand to be soft until the release of the $35,000 version of the Model 3 in Q2, cut his price target on Tesla shares to $180 from $200 and keeps an Underperform rating on the stock.

I think analysts are lowering delivery numbers to move FactSet consensus deliveries lower to get a beat finally on deliveries. Trip Chowdhry lowered total deliveries to 48000. This is not because he thinks deliveries are that low it is because FacSet.

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: AZRI11 and wipster
But I thought the objective was to get some of the smaller fish the prizes. Based on the above, then It's the people with the most referrals (i.e., the media stars) that will get it. But I suppose, since you can't win twice, it will eventually get to the smaller fish, but only after giving prizes to all the media stars first. Am I correct in this?

All of the media stars have already gotten their free Roadster, so at least the quarterly Roadster prize should go to more normal people.

How many media stars are there? (How quickly will they burn through the monthly Model Y awards?)

• Informative
Reactions: Antares Nebula
So macro wise. Looks like most Central banks are expecting a recession now. And yield curve is close to inverting. As I've mentioned before.

Any gain you make should be kept in gic or cash for now. While I wouldn't outright start selling, I wouldn't buy either.

The china trade talk is not progressing. The delay to June means we will probably be in a proper recession of main street during election time and if that's the case, Trump will lose. If Trump enact the 25% steel and alum tariff, he will lose for sure. Purely economically speaking. There is always war to save a presidency.

The trade deal looks to be dead. From the Chinese perspective, there's not much negatives in waiting till 2021 when the result is clear. Their economy is already hurting very badly but surprisingly no revolt. And the stock market actually rebounded. Canada's precedence shows that even if a trade deal is signed, the tariff will stay on. Trump made a mistake by not targeting China first and tipped his hand with how he dealt with Canada.

Their currency control seems to be working as RE in most of the Chinese targeted markets are dropping. So those money will be spent in China's economy.

All of the media stars have already gotten their free Roadster, so at least the quarterly Roadster prize should go to more normal people.

How many media stars are there? (How quickly will they burn through the monthly Model Y awards?)
And presumably what Musk said about the Roadster (one per person) also applies to the monthly Model Y awards...

Reactions: Artful Dodger
You driving a car with a regular 0-60 acceleration time measured in minutes is the most horrible thing I have read all week, and I read a lot.

Karen, when you receive your Model 3, you must enable Chill Mode!
I realize that this is humorous to many folks, but I would like to point out that even with my MR and its lowly 5.6s 0-60mph time and moving from a car with ~8-10s 0-60mph time the amount of torque at the low end can be tricky at first. The first time I did an accelerating turn (turning onto a mere 35mph roadway) the car nearly got away from me. High acceleration in straightaways is problematic only from a peak speed* but in turns it can surprise you in how it pushes the car. (Admittedly, I also came from decades of only driving front wheel drive so it has taken time to get used to being pushed rather than being pulled which significantly alters handling.)

The first little bit of driving I did after getting the car was all slow and sedate, no problems. The issues came when I got home and hit established driving patterns. I'm sure @KarenRei is a competent driver and won't have any problems, but the difference in handling can definitely take some getting used to.

* For example, this morning I caught myself at 47mph in a 35 because traffic swept up over the hill as soon as pulled on and I accelerated out of caution to maintain trailing distance -- in my defense traffic runs 35 to 45 with outliers at 55, but the higher speeders are targeted by LEO and not an event I want.

Musk visits an elementary school in Flint:

Elon Musk visits Doyle Ryder Elementary in Flint

In addition to announcing existing and new donations to the school system (including giving every kid a computer), so far I've seen him give kids a ride in a Tesla, made a Model X dance for them, and announced that he's going to be giving kids a free trip to SpaceX - two 6th graders and two 7th graders from every school in the district.

Love how the guy from the school who's acting as the announcer is wearing an Occupy Mars shirt :) And all the kids got SpaceX T-shirts :)

The underlying message here is clear. Elon is trying to clean up the mess ICE manufacturers made in multiple ways. They can try to deny the effects of CO2 levels on climate change, but they can’t deny the brownness of the water. https://jalopnik.com/what-general-motors-did-to-flint-1794493131

I cannot get my head around the level of dumbness behind the 'no demand'. Some perspective:

1) the US is not the world, China and Europe are a thing
2) Even in Europe, the UK is not included yet because no RHD.
3) Teslas current advertising spend is ZERO.
4) Charging infrastructure is still catching up, as it expands, expect to see a lot more people considering a 3.
5) The options on a model 3 right now are pretty minimal. Why do I not have 16 or more different color options yet?
6) The FUD from rivals mean a lot of people actually think the 3 has some imminent competition. When that myth becomes more obvious...
7) There are now a LOT of people happily enjoying their model 3s, this rapidly filters through to them endorsing the car to friends etc.

Plus this is the only brand of car which gets BETTER over time, not worse. I worry sometimes about Elons health, or his erratic tweets. I worry about FUD and smear campaigns from paid oil lobbyists. I never, ever, ever worry that their is low demand for model 3. Its actually funny that they are so at FUD that this is the one they try to go for.

O'K, first off I'm no lawyer, however this would be my approach. Write with a smaller font, expand the margins and delete the header and footer block and presto, you have a 10 page document on 8 pages.

Seriously, IMHO the SEC continued overhang on stock knocked at least $100 off the TSLA share price. Shame on them. Sometimes laughter is the best medicine.

Cheers everyone.

If you look at the legal fillings this isn't some essay: they follow a fixed format. I'm no lawyer, not even a legal clerk, but reading filings they all look like they are fixed width font (set number of columns) and each line of text is numbered with a fixed number of lines to a page.

Also, I'll note that the request was for a filing to not exceed 10 pages. If your reply needed 10 pages to make its point then you wouldn't limit your request to that minimum amount. I'm not sure how many pages they felt they needed, but I'm certain it was less than ten.

As has already been stated, the judge limiting them to 8 is a way of saying, "keep it brief" -- she just wants the facts, not some long-winded monologue.

Its all good :)

• Love
Reactions: neroden