Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM and Ford have averaged about $6b a year in profit the last decade, and have a negative CAGR.

I think it’s likely Tesla will make more profit than Ford and GM put together this year, and the gap will only get wider.
It's going to be really interesting to see GM and Ford's earnings calls. GM's plan to "overtake" Tesla is to build 1M EVs a year by 2025...which Tesla does...today. GM "leads EVs" and sold all of 26 last quarter. Investors have to be asking about that. And for both companies, they need to be asking how they are going to address the inevitable decline in ICE...that make up 99% of their production. To not lose sales, they need to capture EVERY lost ICE sale with their EV products-which isn't happening. To me, VW looks pretty strong, as does Hyundai/Kia. Ford a little further behind. GM and Toyota not even close.

Imo same for mass producing profitable electric vehicles.
I actually this production will be more difficult to solve.

It is remotely possible Apple or Google swoop in with an FSD solution and partner with an automaker to compete with FSD with some reasonably turnkey solution. If they did it soon they might hit parity in 5 years.

Nobody is going to come in and offer auto makers a turnkey way to mass produce cars. Not in 5 years, likely never.

. . . To not lose sales, they need to capture EVERY lost ICE sale with their EV products-which isn't happening.
I am not even sure if they can make a profitable EV to start, but if they eke out a profit on their EVs, they'll need to sell 4 EVs for every lost ICE sale just to keep the bottom line flat.

Wall street is damned if you don't, damned if you do situation. The stock went up due to huge car sales and great margins. Of course Elon will say hey guys we'll do that again this year but with even bigger numbers. Wall St doesn't like it and sells the stock off.

If Elon had given a roadmap with a 25k car and ended up expanding a product line that wouldn't even sell until 2024 and only does 1.4 mil production then we would of sold off at the end of the year due to decreased sales and low margins.

It's a BS game they play.

I think part of the letdown of the Cybertruck delay was their own making. This week they had been "promoting" it. New releases of videos and stills of "prototype 2" being shown at Austin, and Elon's tweet about driving the truck around in Texas gave everyone high expectations that the ER would have positive news about it. Instead, it crushed those hopes. As an investor, I'm glad to see them focus on production, volume and revenue rather than new products. As an enthusiast that wants to buy a CT, I'm disappointed.

so minor a win but I'll take it, I randomly had 90 cents more than the closing price and got a share very nearly at the low price of the day.

1643337917942.png

I actually this production will be more difficult to solve.

It is remotely possible Apple or Google swoop in with an FSD solution and partner with an automaker to compete with FSD with some reasonably turnkey solution. If they did it soon they might hit parity in 5 years.

Nobody is going to come in and offer auto makers a turnkey way to mass produce cars. Not in 5 years, likely never.

Google was working on autonomous vehicles with their Waymo project. They abandoned it years ago. I don't think Apple has ever seriously looked at it. Apple has little manufacturing experience, instead primarily having their products contract manufactured and sticking their label on it. I think you have more of a chance of Tesla building a cell phone than Apple building an autonomous vehicle. Far simpler product.

So 5 years for the government to approve it once Tesla has solved it?
I was wondering this myself. Since the golden boys won't have FSD I can see the Feds trying to block this for sure. Can they? Some states already allow FSD in certain conditions. Can the Fed turn around and block those states? I guess if the Fed says the cars are unsafe like not having a seat belt they could? thoughts??
A Fed law requiring safety drivers for example. The trucking union will definitely require this for commercial trucks.

The drop in the SP to $830ish feels a lot like the drop in late summer 2019. The company was growing and model 3 was ramping and yet the market dropped the SP to 50% of the then ATH. I remember feeling very confused and upset about this at the time. I added a little at the time but obviously should have added more.

Now that I am more battle-hardened after 9+ years of closely following TSLA I know that we will all look back in this time and wish we had bought more. The company is stronger than ever and only getting more dominant financially. This time I am leveraging more (sold shares to buy DITM LEAPS) and sold naked puts to try and get more shares even cheaper.

These are the times that eventually in the future the paper hands lose and the diamond hands win.

The funny thing is everyone heard "product roadmap" and assumed Elon was going to talk about new vehicles models. But the products he specifically joined to talk about were FSD and AI.

And the fund managers know how to put a value to vehicle unit sales and project those forward. But they don't know how to value AI. Nobody knows how to value AI; except Elon, apparently.

Elon said “It’s a big number”

So analysts should just put a big number in their models. Easy peazy

But my friend emptied credit line to go all in at $5500 pre-split price, just couple weeks ago...
Do you think your argument will comfort her?
I made a statement, not an argument and if your friend emptied her credit line to go all in....did she just think it was going to go up and make quick $? If so, than you should have given her some advice before she did that since you've been around TMC for a while now.