Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Spotted from the road in my Model Y on Sunday while driving thru the Nat'l Park: ;)

Bull.Bison.jpg

Cheers to the Longs!

NO NO NO!

Am I the only one here that actually READS the SEC filings? Musk has sold all he needs to. He even went and lined up additional funding so he doesn't have to get a share-backed loan.

Stop spreading this FUD!

Of course he can sell more shares, and he may have to, the TWTR offer was made when TSLA SP was a lot higher than what it is today. TSLA price has fallen what? 35-40% since the offer was given?

What we do know, is that he has borrowed against roughly 100B of his TSLA stocks (as of a few weeks ago, not including what he borrows against for the TWTR offer). So if he needs a margin loan or not..., its possible.
But the answer to that is not written in a SEC filing.
It would be so great if the deal fell down, for all parts! Twitter is not a one man show.

Of course he can sell more shares, and he may have to, the TWTR offer was made when TSLA SP was a lot higher than what it is today. TSLA price has fallen what? 35-40% since the offer was given?

What we do know, is that he has borrowed against roughly 100B of his TSLA stocks (as of a few weeks ago), so if he needs a margin loan or not..., its possible. But the answer to that is not written in a SEC filing.
It would be so great if the deal fell down, for all parts! Twitter is not a one man show.

You are ill-informed. After the borrowing against his 100B of TSLA shares, he then went out and pulled in 12B of private backers to go in with him, in order to remove the necessity of the 100B in TSLA shares backing a loan. This is covered, with ZERO ambiguity, in an SEC filing regarding the Twitter deal.

Go do your homework, stop spreading FUD.

TO RE-EMPHASIZE - ELON HAS NO LOAN BACKED BY HIS TSLA SHARES (i.e. A MARGIN LOAN) FOR THE TWTR PURCHASE.

Twitter is a dumpster fire ... period. It's value is declining daily and after this debacle it's only going to get worse. $54 a share is insane and it was a terrible idea that was brought on by Elon's Ego and nothing else ... it never made sense and it sure as heck doesn't now.

We can hope he will pay the billion and twitter and walk away ..... he's not infallible and he's been wrong about things before.

Hopefully, Twitter will be happy with the $1 billion and walk away as well .. although I don't see any way this won't end up in litigation.

Twitter is a dumpster fire ... period. It's value is declining daily and after this debacle it's only going to get worse. $54 a share is insane and it was a terrible idea that was brought on by Elon's Ego and nothing else ... it never made sense and it sure as heck doesn't now.

We can hope he will pay the billion and twitter and walk away ..... he's not infallible and he's been wrong about things before.

Hopefully, Twitter will be happy with the $1 billion and walk away as well .. although I don't see any way this won't end up in litigation.
There is no way Twitter will take the 1 billion and just go ok, we are done. They will sue him to wring out as much juice from him as possible. Wouldn't you?

It's a joke, kind of. What I'm trying to say is if the current political and fiscal crises persist, which are primarily caused by high inflation, stocks can flounder for a long time no matter how great the execution is.
That's not what I've seen historically. TSLA 10x'd during a global viral pendemic.

Granted, a good 50% of that was mania.....but at the time Tesla was also not throwing off billions and soon dozens of billions in earnings.

I'm of the opinion we're in for a rapid nearterm 2x and it'll feel completely out of the blue when it starts ripping.

Why I ever thought blowout 1Q earnings was a good time for option buying is beyond me. I've grown since then.

In case anyone is interested, futures are green
Oh good, we might go up 1% tomorrow and then when NVDA earnings comes out after the bell, NVDA will do a -12% and we'll do a -8% because they crash us every single bad earnings report on every stock this year.

Remember: their goal is to stop Elon from buying Twitter. They will keep crashing us until Elon capitulates or the stock hits zero. We are all in a bad situation here because they will never stop but I've already lost too much from ATH to capitulate and sell now so I'm forced to HODL until my portfolio is zero.

I agree. Especially the price, but we all know he regrets the size of the offer.

If the deal collapses, and also, Tesla does a spin-off regarding the semi-truck, that would be the best things to happen to the stock price in a looong time.:)

Hah, "NOTE: Brand is not rank eligible because it does not meet study award criteria."

Translated: "Tesla is not rank eligible because it does not pay J.D. Power advertising revenue." :p

I heard that J.D. Power is in the middle of a corporate rebranding. Apparently, they are renaming their company J.D. Internal Combustion Power. According to their head of marketing, their new name, JDIC Power, will better reflect their corporate values. /s

The prices Driveway is paying makes me want to sell my 3...
UK - first Model 3s in UK are around 3 years old. Not many at that age, but more will be 3 years old in September. Typically vehicle finance will be for 2-4 years, I assume 3 years is normal for UK deals, either lease, hire purchase or PCP/BCP (Personal/Business Contract Purchase - option to buy at end with a "balloon payment"). Each of these is different, legally and cost-wise. Tesla now advertising (via email) used car events in UK (not GB as it includes Belfast, but that's a common mistake even experts or politicians make).

Next, used EV prices have gone up 20-40% in last 18-24 months. Even the 22-30kw old versions have increased. Note this isn't an increase for an equivalent 7 year old car - this is the same car. so now 9 years old. 2013 Zoe was £5k, cheapest used 2013 Zoe is now £7.5k. Video below of UK used market, only one POSSIBLE reasonable buy, Skoda Citigo (VW e-Up rebadged, sold for 6-12 months only, very rare, perhaps less known).

Recent Tesla Bjorn video featured him driving an Opel Ampera-E (GM Bolt?) 1000 km in 13:50, charging on Tesla Superchargers! On the trip he met a Polish guy who buys used Leafs and drives them to Poland over many, hours, many charges, many HOURS of charging... The Polish guy says only 20,000 EVs in Poland, but many people have solar, so EV makes sense.

I think there in Poland, here in UK, everywhere, getting EVs is a security measure for a family. Especially as a second car. UK has had fuel shortages for days/weeks at a time, high fuel prices and other problems.

Hard to buy new cars (delays, 12+ month waiting lists are common), EVs are really in demand.

Oodles of cash from used financed Teslas may be incoming in UK, but if replicated in left-hand drive European countries, could be a factor NOW (as they got Left Hand Drive cars earlier than UK's Right HD and probably more of them)

eg Norway, Netherlands. Netherlands is a company-car dominated market, so 3 year replacements may be contractual for employees, off-lease cars must be sold, probably by Tesla, at much higher prices than budgeted for by Tesla/finance - windfall incoming?).

(timestamped at "Insane" and just before Tesla used prices).
Tesla Model 3 SR/SR+
was £40,500 new in 2020 (I believe)
cheapest used, high mileage £38.5 - possibly 2019, probably 2020
new price £46,000 - waiting time 12 months
1653465486636.png

Last edited:
Oh good, we might go up 1% tomorrow and then when NVDA earnings comes out after the bell, NVDA will do a -12% and we'll do a -8% because they crash us every single bad earnings report on every stock this year.

Remember: their goal is to stop Elon from buying Twitter. They will keep crashing us until Elon capitulates or the stock hits zero. We are all in a bad situation here because they will never stop but I've already lost too much from ATH to capitulate and sell now so I'm forced to HODL until my portfolio is zero.
"Their goal...". Who is this they of which you speak? The market is a cacophony of different voices. It's rarely possible, except for incredibly illiquid stocks, for a cabal of players to agree a strategy and cynically execute it. I don't think conspiratorial mindset helps, honestly. What does help is knowing the many structural advantages Tesla has over its competition - in low-cost, massive scale manufacturing, batteries, charging infrastructure, integrated product design, AI, insurance, and so much more.

There is a very high likelihood they continue to grow at 50% or more for years churning out incredible vehicles at >30% gross margins. And there are spectacular products in the pipeline. So really it's a matter of Math. Based on the fundamental calculation of long-term cash flow, the shares are really cheap. The share price will sort itself out. And when it turns it will probably turn spectacularly. Stay brave.

If there is any credence for this market being driven by a conspiracy to stop Elon from buying Twitter, then, that is all the substantiation I need as an indicator that he is doing exactly the right thing. If some desperately want to scare him off this mission, they must see buying Twitter as a threat. We all know how he feels about bullies.

If the end result is that manipulators have over-extended themselves in any such attempt it seems likely that they will be in an awkward position and open to being hurt badly should something beyond their control trigger a run up in the SP.

The thing that surprises me is just how many folks have been on the ride long enough to know how well Elon can play such situations to an advantage, time and again, and yet somehow now seem to believe he is going into this blind to the consequences.

Nothing has changed in his ability to see the future in ways we are unable to fathom, and his track record of being able to capitalize upon that unique vision is remarkable.

Go Elon!

As a HODLer, I've got your back.