Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, guess I'll step up and take a swing.

Elon has said he wants to ensure the future of consciousness (humanity) by making it multiplanetary. He is determined to achieve this, his life's work.
Tesla and SpaceX are means to an end, not the goal themselves.
He is an expert at developing and maintaining sophisticated supply chains producing state of the art products. The means of production are hostage to disruption.

I think Elon desperately wants 40 years more of stability out of the current civilization (he'll take more if he can get it).
Almost any price is worth paying in the present, to him, to assure the human race (consciousness) continues into the future. He is keeping his eye on the prize.

The precariousness of the present situation is a stark example of how thin the thread holding it all together really is.
We are so close, we just need some knuckleheads to quiet down and stop rocking the boat; then we will all get to where we need to go.

It is sad to say but the option with the lower probability of a Nuclear winter is the one the humanity will benefit most, however this outcome would not benefit Ukrainians most. It’s a dilemma between who should get the most happy ending: the world or the good guys?

Reactions: ccook
2) Demand for 3 & Y far exceeded expectations
It is somewhat ironic that analysts ding Tesla because they are not pursuing the $25k Tesla, but Tesla isn't pursuing the $25k car because they can't make enough Model Ys and Model 3s to meet demand.

It's likely we'll see more noise on the Robotaxi and/ or budget Tesla next year as Tesla's Model Y production continued to explode.

Just a warning; I will be critical this time. Just from the start, Tesla has done some amazing work with the launch of the Roadster, Model S/X and Model 3/Y. They executed Elon’s master plan almost flawlessly. I love the progress in battery technology and the building of new Giga factories. The implementation of new techniques like Giga casting and vertical integration is also very admirable. All this with great execution and growth. Love it!

That being said, Tesla has become bloated with ideas with nothing to show for lately:

• FSD. It is a long time coming and still not “finished” it is Beta and will be for the foreseeable future. At the presentation last Friday they showed the things they have done over the last year like the almost 76,000 models trained and the 35 new releases. It looks impressive. In another thread I asked if someone could tell me more about the real progress that has been made in the product; how much better is it than a year ago? Elon mentioned during the presentation that the real measure is the time between safety critical interventions in FSD Beta, however, he kept the data for himself. Why not put all your resources in that, get it out of Beta, get the Robotaxi rolling before starting an endeavour like Optimus?

• Talking about Beta, how many things in the software are still Beta (like the automatic windscreen wipers) why not finish that first?

• A few years back there was a nice presentation on solar roof. I get the idea that one is fizzling out. If that thing is still on the table, why not finish that first?

• Tesla Semi and Cybertruck, years late. Why not finish that before yet another endeavour like Optimus;

• same with new Roadster.

A lot of people are not taking Elon serious anymore (especially on Twitter). Tesla should start finishing products before starting new ones yet again.
What does any of that have to do with the Master Plan? Elon has executed product rollout to maximize EV penetration, literally to the point where it's raw input limited. Nothing else really matters.

And while I agree with you, if the nuclear weapons deploy people will be wishing they could go back in time and make a different decision.

He is hoping to stop a nuclear war by sacrificing his personal reputation in expressing a correct but unpopular opinion.

Elon is the leader the world needs. I have an even higher opinion of him now … and I did not think that was possible.
Appeasement. Let the bully with the big stick have his way. Just this once. He won't try for more after that.

Recent history disagrees

Last edited:
Just a warning; I will be critical this time. Just from the start, Tesla has done some amazing work with the launch of the Roadster, Model S/X and Model 3/Y. They executed Elon’s master plan almost flawlessly. I love the progress in battery technology and the building of new Giga factories. The implementation of new techniques like Giga casting and vertical integration is also very admirable. All this with great execution and growth. Love it!

That being said, Tesla has become bloated with ideas with nothing to show for lately:

• FSD. It is a long time coming and still not “finished” it is Beta and will be for the foreseeable future. At the presentation last Friday they showed the things they have done over the last year like the almost 76,000 models trained and the 35 new releases. It looks impressive. In another thread I asked if someone could tell me more about the real progress that has been made in the product; how much better is it than a year ago? Elon mentioned during the presentation that the real measure is the time between safety critical interventions in FSD Beta, however, he kept the data for himself. Why not put all your resources in that, get it out of Beta, get the Robotaxi rolling before starting an endeavour like Optimus?

• Talking about Beta, how many things in the software are still Beta (like the automatic windscreen wipers) why not finish that first?

• A few years back there was a nice presentation on solar roof. I get the idea that one is fizzling out. If that thing is still on the table, why not finish that first?

• Tesla Semi and Cybertruck, years late. Why not finish that before yet another endeavour like Optimus;

A lot of people are not taking Elon serious anymore (especially on Twitter). Tesla should start finishing products before starting new ones yet again.
FSD is not a solved problem yet, Tesla don’t want to rollout half baked solution just to impress people. No one knew what it would take to solve it, but if you watched FSD beta videos the past year, you know it came a long way and feels close.

Semi and CyberTruck were delayed not because they couldn’t get them done. It’s because they are battery constrained, rolling out these high capacity models will reduce total unit of deliveries and slow down the mission, not accelerating it.

Robots are the obvious next step need to be explored, but Tesla is not distracted from its current mission for doing it, they are recruiting new people for that, and not diverting much resources from other programs. And, they are not spending big bucks on it until it’s proven to be useful. Other billion dollar companies spend much more on pet projects than you’d imagine. Elon talks about pet ideas all the time, HVAC, leaf blowers, jets, boats, but when it comes to real spending, he’s very frugal and I trust him.

Tesla is probably the most lean R&D org you could find, if another company was doing as much in-house R&D as Tesla is doing, I wouldn’t be surprised by 10x the R&D budget.(Just look at Rivian, which probably is among the leaner ones out there)

The people who doesn’t take Elon seriously anymore had never taken him seriously and had been claiming whatever he had done to be impossible for decades.

What does any of that have to do with the Master Plan? Elon has executed product rollout to maximize EV penetration, literally to the point where it's raw input limited. Nothing else really matters
Spot On. Musk is laying out the bitter truth. It is up to the Americans and the west to realize this sooner than later and stop the bloodshed.

There is NO way Russia is giving up Crimea, Donbas or Donetsk regions, unless this turns into a WW3 scenario. Russia cannot defeat and annexe Ukraine. Ukraine even with the help of west cannot take back Crimea, Donbas and Donetsk, unless we are prepared for a largescale war in which China will also be pulled in. Are we ready for that?
Elon also understands the long-term implications of what's already happened to date. The new level of isolation Putin has forced combined with the coal-esque end of oil & gas that's just around the corner has doomed Russia as a superpower.

There's no real avenue to recovery from here, so the priority should be deescalation.

Not to mention Ukraine has a bright future as a NATO member, EU member, and potential Gigafactory location. Sacrificing Crimea for that future isn't the end of the world. They can have it back when the Russian Federation begins to crumble in 2026/27.

I will S my pants if Elon brings the two countries to the table and actually accomplish something. The result may even be a Nobel peace prize.
A more likely outcome is Elon buys Twitter and purges it of propaganda bots and the echo chamber algorithm. A world with less polarizing propaganda would be more peaceful.

Gawd I hate twitter...and I hate that silly poll.

Facts are, there was a vote in 1991 and the Ukrainian people overwhelmingly voted to be part of Ukraine.

There is very little chance a vote could be held in the areas that russia just annexed. It is a bombed out ruin in the middle of a war zone. Many of the people that lived there have left...do they return to vote?... Would you?

Appeasing a dictator is a recipe for further aggression from said dictator.

I don't think Elon thought this one through.

Russia won‘t stop with these areas and wouldn’t stop with the whole of Ukraine, they’re trying to fracture the entire EU and everyone in the region is at risk.

Elon is missing the forest for the trees
I'm pretty sure Russia is out of gas and running on fumes right now. They lost a bunch of men, a bunch of smart people, most of their western economy, and no chips to resupply. Pretty sure they can't take on anything else without launching nukes and start cheating.

It is sad to say but the option with the lower probability of a Nuclear winter is the one the humanity will benefit most, however this outcome would not benefit Ukrainians most. It’s a dilemma between who should get the most happy ending: the world or the good guys?
This is a false dilemma fallacy. There are plenty of scenarios that resolve with Ukrainian victory (i.e. territorial integrity and right of self determination), and that also have no nuclear winter. The problem with giving in to nuclear blackmail of a genocidal invader is that it's only a stopgap, and pretty soon they'll be back for more, but now with even higher stakes. Russia had Crimea for 8 years as appeasement, did that suffice? No, it did not. And so lower probability of nuclear winter does not necessarily follow appeasement. A more meaningful peace would follow from radical changes in Russia. These changes will come quicker if Ukraine is successful on the battlefield and Russia is pressured by sanctions.

Russia won‘t stop with these areas and wouldn’t stop with the whole of Ukraine, they’re trying to fracture the entire EU and everyone in the region is at risk.

Elon is missing the forest for the trees

You are correct in terms of what Putin wanted and expected before the (latest) invasion. Not any more though.

As long as sanctions remain for high-tech and preferably much more, Russian Federation military won't restore its abilities or ability to instil fear. Economy should be impoverished over time, demographics get worse, brain drains, land of pensioners, unable to maintain nuclear bluff/threat.

As a victim of Russian meddling in my country - doing real harm to individuals and systemically - I want Ukraine to get everything it wants and the aggressors punished.

I'm resigned to risk a nuclear strike - but I'd prefer not to, I have no choice anyway. Every country with nukes is a threat. I grew up under threat of nuclear attack, it remains.

Last edited:
Gawd I hate twitter...and I hate that silly poll.

Facts are, there was a vote in 1991 and the Ukrainian people overwhelmingly voted to be part of Ukraine.

There is very little chance a vote could be held in the areas that russia just annexed. It is a bombed out ruin in the middle of a war zone. Many of the people that lived there have left...do they return to vote?... Would you?

Appeasing a dictator is a recipe for further aggression from said dictator.

I don't think Elon thought this one through.

No, Elon seemed too enamored by the Thiel/Sacks/Tucker extreme right wing crowd on this topic to have thought it through, unfortunately. And he thus does not realize that these guys are against Ukraine bacause Ukraine is winning to a large degree because of USA/Biden, which makes the Republicans lose votes.

But he seems to try to backtrack a bit, realizing the pandora's box he unnecessarily created. Now it is just about Crimea (not anymore Donbas, etc), and it is not about referendums, but simply about what might be considered a pragmatic compromise (it is not, of course). Big difference, but unfortunately too late, a lot of reputational damage is done. He even now attacked Kasparov, as somebody who only tweets and does nothing... Kasparov, who was beaten up by the Russian police, who wrote a book 10 years ago warning exactly what will happen if Putin is appeased :-(

Breaking News:

"The U.K. has declared they would like to poll white anglo-saxon U.S. citizens to determine if they should annex the U.S. back"

"China wants to poll Chinese living in Taiwan if they should be allowed to annex Taiwan"

"VW asks to poll German-speaking workers of Tesla if they can annex the EV leader"

"@ZeApelido asks to poll only TMCers who give him laugh reactions if he should become head TMC moderator"
Tricky question: Which is the one of the above that has a zero chance ever of occurring?

Most people just want a cool car but man, sure would be nice if he didn't try to piss off every group he can find.

You can't piss off one group without the counterpart of that group saying, "right on man!".

And if you really want a Tesla, you are going to remember that Elon was on your side! Because who wants to buy a car from someone that has never supported their viewpoints? Most humans are positive people and they remember the good and try to forget the bad. Elon is harnessing the power of behavioral psychology and he has a proven track record of creating demand beyond most peoples wildest imagination. Don't argue with success as Elon has not changed. This should be self-evident, but some people are apparently slow learners.

On a related note, I strongly recommend anyone who thinks they are a good investor to read and absorb the Wiki page about "Sunk Cost fallacies" that was posted earlier by @Gigapress :

Because people think they are immune to principles discovered and proven by behavioral psychology but, without an understanding of human biases and tendencies, you are bound to repeat them. In fact, even if you understand these human tendencies (weaknesses), you might still repeat them. But raising your awareness of these human frailties could also give you a fighting chance to resist blatant mistakes and improve your financial condition substantially. Read and learn.

Well, today has been a rare day as Tesla Investor.

The stock tanks after record production and delivery numbers, and on a green market day no less. Elon tweets a quagmire and the political world loses its composure. This thread goes way off the rails and becomes a Ukraine / Russia political discussion. A stray cat I haven't seen for a year just shows up on my porch like no time has passed at all, friendly as ever. I discovered Apple Fritter Pop-Tarts. Oh and my Model Y got a flat tire, but I was able to fix it with a plug thankfully.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! :D

😮

🥺

Last edited: