Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AMZN missed for Q3, and of course the entire market begins tanking immediately. :rolleyes:
I do love that if I see some wacky stuff happening on the charts I can come here and immediately find the answer. Maybe now AMZN won't have a forward P/E higher than Tesla's because that's INSANE. Honestly it's refreshing that the voting machine is turning into a weighing machine again. TSLA going to break the scale. :)

The criminal investigation on Tesla is on short loop up here in Canada, and on the scrolling headlines on the bottom of the screen. It’s probably good to get this behind us now. FSD is probably a decade away from a robotaxi level and even a step up to level 3 is probably years away. Swallow the pill, take the stock hit, give it a name change and cut the price of the FSD sweet to a third of what is. Build it back up over the next decade as the technology improves. It gets incrementally better every time but is obviously no where close to being any kind of a “Full self drive” system.

All jmho of course.

Don't get taken in by this FUD. Or as I prefer to look at it, food for the gullible. Do you realise this "criminal investigation" is a probe that was initiated last year, and like all other similar FUD will likely amount to absolutely nothing? Please do your research on the issue more carefully and look past the headlines.

Last edited:
I see this much more like a "demand shift", but yeah, destruction for some will most likely occur...

"Also notably lower were average used vehicle gross profits per unit, or GPU. The average GPU – an important statistic for investors – for used vehicles largely declined double digits compared with a year earlier, including declines of more than 20% for Group 1 and AutoNation."

Don't get taken in by this FUD. Or as I prefer to look at it, food for the gullible, Do you realise this "criminal investigation" is a probe that was initiated last year, and like all other similar FUD will likely amount to absolutely nothing? Please do your research on the issue more carefully and look past the headlines.
I’m not taken in. I have been following for awhile. I think FSD is great. We use it 95 percent of the time and enjoy contributing to the data. But that also puts us in touch with its progress and failures. We did a 9 kilometre round trip this morning. It does some things very well. But we had 4 interventions this morning. 1 which would have ended in a collision and 3 which could have caused a collision as it was in the wrong lane every time going thru a major intersection. It has failed these exact same points every time we do this route for the last 6 months. If a cop had been following us and we would have let it drive it would have probably racked up a thousand bucks in fines. We have no problem with that as we are always attentive, take over when necessary and report the fail. Tomorrow when we go out it will fail again at all four of these places.

There has been improvements in the smoothness, dealing with narrow street, bicycles, phantom braking etc. But lane control has remained virtually the same and it still gets into bad situations when in creep situations.

My opinion remains that it is years away from a level 3 and probably a decade to robotaxi. But that is all it is. My opinion. I’m still a long term investor and look forward to the tesla future. But I think at some point Tesla has to back track on this. At least change the freakin name. 😊

Time to jump ship...
6yjm3w.jpg

😄

Down 17.54% wow ...

Fed still thinking inflation ... market says recession ...

all eyes on AAPL now :)
Apple reported earnings after the bell. Here are the key numbers compared to what Wall Street was expecting, per Refinitiv estimates:

• EPS: $1.29 vs. $1.27 estimated
  • Revenue: $90.15 billion vs. $88.90 billion estimated
stock seems to still not be recovering ...

Who'da thought it eh? High prices reduce demand. Wait till the economists latch onto this one
That or we may have a warm October. My heat pump will this month use less than 50% of October 2021, and my target temperature is still on 21 degrees (instead of the 19 that our governments want us to use).
Tomorrow will have max temps of 22 and min temps of 16 degrees. That’s almost 10 degrees above average. This time of the year it would be more reasonable to expect the first freezing nights.

Just a little something to point out -

Amazon just posted guidance of 2-8% growth YoY for Q4……..Amazon has a PE of 99

Tesla just guided for just under 50% growth YoY for Q4……Tesla has a PE of 69

Make of it what you will.

Oh and practically of Amazon’s profits for Q3 were related to them recognizing a mark up in their Rivian stake…..which will surely be a future write down when rivian valuation collapses even more

That or we may have a warm October. My heat pump will this month use less than 50% of October 2021, and my target temperature is still on 21 degrees (instead of the 19 that our governments want us to use).
Tomorrow will have max temps of 22 and min temps of 16 degrees. That’s almost 10 degrees above average. This time of the year it would be more reasonable to expect the first freezing nights.
See? The benefits of Global warming!

Oh and practically of Amazon’s profits for Q3 were related to them recognizing a mark up in their Rivian stake…..which will surely be a future write down when rivian valuation collapses even more

The Q4 guidance is abysmal. Should normally be their best Q, and WS expected guidance of 5B profit. AMZN guiding for "break even" in Q4. Ouch.

If you had asked me yesterday, I would have said “No way anyone beats the garbage fire that was Metas earnings”

We’ll Amazon……bravo

Silver lining - with all these huge misses, it gets harder and harder for the Fed to ignore the demand destruction. But somehow, JP will find a way to ignore it, I'm sure.

Somehow were in a time in the simulation where your actual numbers don't matter. The over reaction to the poor performers is taking everyone with them. Amazon was down AH below -20% briefly, "recovering" to -17%. Apple and Tesla down almost -2% in AH. Seems to me like money should be going from Amazon to Tesla based off their growth guidance....