Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you had asked me yesterday, I would have said “No way anyone beats the garbage fire that was Metas earnings”

Well Amazon……bravo

Amazon’s financials have been a garbage fire for almost a year now. I have no idea how this company is (now was) worth over $1T.

It’s burning cash, printing stock, has a triple digit PE and can’t even outgrow inflation.

So… after all these dumpster fires of earnings calls… where does all these investor money from Meta and Amazon (and Twitter) go in the coming weeks?

B19CB68E-61C6-4B17-988A-ABC8F8B320BF.gif

Yeah, I'm amazed AMZN's PE is still as high as it is given their quarterly trend. Or was. It should go down some now, lol.
Actually........Amazon's stock price could go lower materially and the PE still by the same or be higher because their earnings are lower than last years.

If Amazon comes in at the low end of their guidance for Q4 earnings, the PE will explode higher because last Q4 has the huge Rivian write up. In fact, even if they come in at the high end of guidance, their PE will still explode. Amazon's "real" PE is much higher than it's official PE of 99 right now. Judgement day is coming for the stock on Q4 earnings

Last edited:
So… after all these dumpster fires of earnings calls… where does all these investor money from Meta and Amazon (and Twitter) go in the coming weeks?

View attachment 868168

Sitting on the sidelines I would bet. I've heard from a lot of friends that are just gun-shy right now. They want to see a bottom before they jump back in.

Actually........Amazon's stock price could go lower materially and the PE still by the same or be higher because their earnings are lower than last years.

If Amazon comes in at the low end of their guidance for Q4 earnings, the PE will explode higher because last Q4 has the huge Rivian write up. Amazon's "real" PE is much higher than it's official PE of 99 right now. Judgement day is coming for the stock on Q4 earnings

On top of this, AWS, which basically funds the rest of the money-burning enterprise, is soon going to be spending loads of CAPEX on it’s Starlink clone Kuiper… only they are going to be using expendable rockets with 5-10x the per kg cost SpaceX pays!!

Hell, Amazon just recently lit a *billion dollars* on fire with it’s Lord of the Rings show, which was one of the worst TV shows I’ve ever seen…

I guess my wife’s Amazon employee shares are worth 18% less in the after hours session… Really wishing I had converted it to TSLA as I had planned.

I was really hoping for a better exit price. I guess I’m gonna be waiting for a while.

Don't worry, some genius will be on some forum claiming to have sold their large 50 share stake to invest in some pump and dump IPO with no sales or earnings that went up 300%. Kind of like around here.

50 shares uhh

small.PNG

... My opinion remains that [FSD] is years away from a level 3 and probably a decade to robotaxi. But that is all it is. My opinion. [...] I think at some point Tesla has to back track on this. At least change the freakin name. 😊

Totally agree on this! Tesla's cars are the best on the road. They sell themselves. There's no need to pretend that they're going to be truly self-driving any time soon, or that a car purchased today will ever become a robotaxi.

I actually came here, though, to kvetch about the price of TSLA, down to freaking HALF of what it was. Sure wish I'd sold at $1,200 ($400 equivalent after the latest split). I wonder how much of this drop is because of Musk's psychotic shenanigans over the off-again-on-again offer/promise to by the train wreck that is Twitter. The whole market is down, but the S&P 500 is down by about a third, while Tesla is down by half!

I'm wearing my TSLA rose colored glasses (not that I've ever taken them off).

Lots of stock analysts are poo-poo-ing the recent bounce, claiming a real turn-around should start with, or at least be accompanied by, tech. While I agree tech leading the way out of a bear market is typical, I for one am not unhappy to see the likes of high-growth-with-negative-earnings tech companies, as well as big tech such as FAANG stocks taking it on the chin (ok, AAPL and NFLX did ok this quarter). Sure it hurts short term as baby (TSLA) gets thrown out with the the bath water.

But while TSLA has followed the rest of the market down, I think Wall Street is going to come around to the idea that Tesla is going to be a (the?) leader as the market finds a bottom and starts crawling back up. The divergence between TSLA and QQQ/Nasdaq this week of all weeks (big tech earnings week) makes me more confident that execution and numbers are going to matter and there is going to be continued divergence between winners and losers. We all know the catalysts (both past and future), but it's obvious to me that Wall Street is still highly skeptical. That's the only explanation for TSLA's valuation compared to, say AMZN.

Just a matter of time and continued execution. When the dust settles and a new bull market starts, I wouldn't be surprised if FAANG doesn't become AT, with maybe MG hanging on in the second tier.

HODL!

Just a little something to point out -

Amazon just posted guidance of 2-8% growth YoY for Q4……..Amazon has a PE of 99

Tesla just guided for just under 50% growth YoY for Q4……Tesla has a PE of 69

Make of it what you will.

Oh and practically of Amazon’s profits for Q3 were related to them recognizing a mark up in their Rivian stake…..which will surely be a future write down when rivian valuation collapses even more
Guidance is a target which is to be met or come close to, and analysts estimates are meant to be close to actual earnings. This is astounding, if continued guidance for amazon is just 8% while tesla is near 50%, since last time i checked 50% growth is about 6x of 8%.

The Q4 guidance is abysmal. Should normally be their best Q, and WS expected guidance of 5B profit. AMZN guiding for "break even" in Q4. Ouch.
Will be interesting to see the repercussions ot this. We have 2 huge Amazon warehouses being built east of Pasco, WA. They've already been delayed for a year, as well as the hiring events (which a lot of people were looking forward to aa they're good paying jobs). I wonder now if they'll even be finished. It would be a serious impact to the region, not only because of the loss of potential jobs, but the work that's been contracted on road modifications needed (and there will be a lot).

It will be interesting, that's for sure.