Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try and dig up the links later this afternoon. It was from one of the Twitter accounts that tracks/has sources at Giga Berlin. There was a bunch of confusion about the 3rd shift and how it related to reaching 5k/week by end of 2022.

Berlin production per week still stuck at 3500’ish according to the Norway Vin tracker.

It has been mentioned that Berlin doesn’t need a third shift to get to the planned 5000 a week end of year but I have my doubts about that, the math of a third shift is just too compelling.

This. Whatever Berlin could accomplish on two shifts will be increased by 50% with a 3rd shift (temporary inefficiencies due to new staff notwithstanding).

1.5 million. Even at the lowest realistic conversion rates that's a lot of order backlog for a vehicle that few have seen in person yet. Maybe I'm a crazy fan but I think people will absolutely love these trucks.

The order backlog is irrelevant. Vehicle buyers are accustomed to buying vehicles off of large lots, most buyers have NEVER pre-ordered a single vehicle. The Cybertruck reservation backlog will grow, not shrink, as they start working through the list and fulfilling reservations.

Dang! I had to go out in the rain to confirm its only version 10.69.3.1! I wish Tesla would put the version number on the Tesla phone app too. My phone app reports Version 2022.36.20. I jumped to the conclusion it was the much-anticipated ver. 11 based on nothing more than the timing of the update! :oops:

I did take it for a test drive and, for the first time ever, it exited the private gate of my community without trying to take out the gate and requiring intervention. It wasn't perfect as it never came to a complete stop for the gate and almost hit it as it was still rising but it was a huge improvement over its usual behavior of trying to go out through the in gate without stopping! There are no pavement markings and the private roads in my community are not properly mapped on any digital maps anywhere. There is no cellular service out here, so I had entered a route using the wi-fi at home before departing. It pulled up perpendicular to the state highway outside our community and came to a stop at an appropriate place and then it immediately did a new creep maneuver I had not seen before. As it was creeping forward about 6 feet it didn't creep in a straight line, it smoothly made an exaggerated "S" turn as if the angular change would help it check for oncoming traffic or perhaps more accurately interpret the scene. It did the smooth "S" turn and, without further pause, entered the highway with authority. After turning onto the State highway, the route was onto a single lane Forest Service Road with periodic turnouts for dealing with any oncoming traffic (which is very rare). There are no lane markings whatsoever, just a narrow ribbon of old, patched blacktop winding through steep and twisty terrain, no guardrails, no shoulders, trees and vegetation right up to the road edges. Recent storms had left the blacktop almost completely covered with leaves and needles, branches, rocks, and sticks.

FSD navigated the road admirably with the speed automatically set to the presumed speed limit of 25 mph (the road is not marked with a speed limit anywhere). 25 mph is too fast for some of the narrow blind corners, but FSD drove it with a style more akin to a human than a machine. It would slow down to 10 mph for branches as it determined it was safe to navigate around them and for blind corners with limited sightlines. It didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that the road was plastered with leaves, including piles of them a few inches high. The harsh sunlight and shade from the trees never seemed to upset it. It drove very competently like this until it arrived at the end of the programmed route where I had placed the map pin I was navigating to.

The pertinent thing here is this is a very unusual road, unlike most anything I imagine FSD is typically trained on, in terrible condition, and yet FSD proceeded like a real trooper. And it's not even the much anticipated V. 11!
I got the version from the app which is a Pixel,7 PRO. This version seems to be aware of it's surrounding and really accelerates when in the clear.
Quite remarkable.

The order backlog is irrelevant. Vehicle buyers are accustomed to buying vehicles off of large lots, most buyers have NEVER pre-ordered a single vehicle. The Cybertruck reservation backlog will grow, not shrink, as they start working through the list and fulfilling reservations.
FWIW, I waited for five of the last six cars I purchased. A couple were sight unseen. (Over a 20 year period).

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think with the general vehicle shortages over the last year or two, a lot of people have gotten used to ordering cars.

For reference, my neighbor and I are in a race to see who gets their truck first. He ordered an F150 Lightning 14 months ago, and I ordered my Cybertruck within the first hour you could. Still think I'll beat him!

Fyi:

Tesla now detects Autopilot cheating devices

This leads me to believe this is a step towards getting some potential approvals in the future and them being able to defend the safety of the system
In my experience, they’ve been able to tell if you have an AP buddy (or just a really steady and consistent grip) for at least a couple years.

Do you still believe that there will be millions of severely ill and deaths? And China's current "COVID death wave" that hasn't even happened yet? According to CNN they just had their first Covid death in the past 6 months. I'm not saying more potential lockdowns won't effect Giga Shanghai and TSLA, but I feel like you're screaming "FIRE" in a movie theater.

China reports first Covid-19 deaths in nearly 6 months as cases spike

Deaths lag infection by 2-3 weeks usually. A few weeks ago they were only recording a couple hundred infections a day (Now it is 30,000+ new infections per day)

The “covid death wave” does not happen if China successfully manages to contain the current outbreak. The last time they managed to control an outbreak of the current size was in Shanghai earlier this year (which is what caused the big Q2 disruption to Tesla Shanghai). However this time the outbreak is in multiple large tier 1 cities, including Beijing, meaning containment is going to be far harder, and more painful on the economy while the attempt to contain is made.

Successfully containing the outbreak will of course be great for all the lives it saves, but it will also mean the threat of lockdowns, economic disruption, factory closures & stalled deliveries will remain a large threat in future quarters for Tesla investors. Whereas Covid not successfully being contained will lead to deaths in at least the low-mid single digit millions in China, but in the longer term will remove the ramifications of the covid zero policy and the uncertainty it brings to the chinese & global economy (and Tesla Shanghai output).

TL;DR:

For Tesla investors:

- China failing to contain current large outbreak: very bad short term, but good long term.
- China successfully contains current large outbreak: less bad short term, uncertainty remains long term.

I am by no means attempting to “shout fire” - merely advising that everyone needs to be prepared for disruption for next few months at least (regardless of outcome)

Last edited:
Deaths lag infection by 2-3 weeks usually. A few weeks ago they were only recording a couple hundred infections a day (Now it is 30,000+ new infections per day)

The “covid death wave” does not happen if China successfully manages to contain the current outbreak. The last time they managed to control an outbreak of the current size was in Shanghai earlier this year (which is what caused the big Q2 disruption to Tesla Shanghai). However this time the outbreak is in multiple large tier 1 cities, including Beijing, meaning containment is going to be far harder, and more painful on the economy while the attempt to contain is made.

Successfully containing the outbreak will of course be great for all the lives it saves, but it will also mean the threat of lockdowns, economic disruption, factory closures & stalled deliveries will remain a large threat in future quarters for Tesla investors. Whereas Covid not successfully being contained will lead to deaths in at least the low-mid single digit millions in China, but in the longer term will remove the ramifications of the covid zero policy and the uncertainty it brings to the chinese & global economy (and Tesla Shanghai output).

TL;DR:

For Tesla investors:

- China failing to contain current large outbreak: very bad short term, but good long term.
- China successfully contains current large outbreak: less bad short term, uncertainty remains long term.

I am by no means attempting to “shout fire” - merely advising that everyone needs to be prepared for disruption for next few months at least (regardless of outcome)
@ggr / Mods - please move these Covid opinion/speculation posts to the appropriate thread too. Very much appreciated!

I don’t normally clutter up this thread with options talk, but…….
there were some VERY large LEAPS options trades today and recently. Continue discussion in the appropriate thread:
Wiki - Selling TSLA Options - Be the House
This is the investment thread mate, so I would think talking about options is relevant... although it's kind of a catch all lately too (not that I'm complaining ;-) )

Mod:
That China might have COVID problems that affect Tesla is vaguely relevant. Discussion of how many people might die on what schedule is not.
That FSD has gone to wide release is vaguely relevant. That it stops in the middle of intersections or drives to the local CVS is not.
And don't for a moment think about discussing twitter in this thread.

We especially don't have time to handle multiple fires at once, which the forum software makes very difficult. @Paracelsus, good suggestion, unable to achieve, so this is my response to your request.
--ggr

Last edited:
Is that thread closed for replies for everyone? I can't reply to it. 😟
Yes, @Right_Said_Fred locked it at the same time as I was moving posts to it, a timing coincidence. See: Elon & Twitter
All three of us mods (four if you count @ohmman who has broader responsibilities) have noted that that thread was turning into a lot of bickering and politics. It consumes way too much time.

Found this:
Tesla brand now valued at 48b, which is 1/10th of apple’s brand value. And more than Tesla’s total market cap during most part of 2019.

Do you really believe the brand was worth that much less 3 years ago? Another reflection of the absurdity of 2019 SP, and the underestimated brand value.

But, if they were underestimated back then, are they fairly valued now? I say not really, I think Tesla brand should at least worth the same as Apple now if not more, which is almost same as the current TSLA market cap. Oh, the absurdity of current SP.

Last edited: