Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning had a “Front passenger safety restraint system fault”, scheduled a mobile service appointment for December 1st. Finally went for a run with a friend who lives 1km from the Tesla Ferrier Montreal service Center and stopped by just to get some info on what it could be. They offered to fix the problem today instead and had received last week 50 brand new model 3 cars to use as loaners. My 3 last experiences were a Nissan Rogue from Hertz and then Uber credits the last two times. Service is getting better and better. I guess they are managing to produce enough Model 3 cars to fulfill the orders and also supply the service centres to improve the customer experience. As an investor I am happy to see that improvement.

It is also always nice to smell the interior of a brand new car and find back the agressive cornering capabilities of the Model 3 compared to my Model Y.

This morning had a “Front passenger safety restraint system fault”, scheduled a mobile service appointment for December 1st. Finally went for a run with a friend who lives 1km from the Tesla Ferrier Montreal service Center and stopped by just to get some info on what it could be. They offered to fix the problem today instead and had received last week 50 brand new model 3 cars to use as loaners. My 3 last experiences were a Nissan Rogue from Hertz and then Uber credits the last two times. Service is getting better and better. I guess they are managing to produce enough Model 3 cars to fulfill the orders and also supply the service centres to improve the customer experience. As an investor I am happy to see that improvement.

It is also always nice to smell the interior of a brand new car and find back the agressive cornering capabilities of the Model 3 compared to my Model Y.

Had that one in my 2018 model 3. Mobile service installed a part under the front seat in about 2 minutes, saying it was an electronic "filter" to help stop spurious signal input.

this is definitely not investing advice and very likely to be proven wrong. i am putting it here because i study charts and historical precedents and right now i am comparing tesla to apple, amazon and nvidia in various time frames like 2008, 2018 etc and over 50% drops in 12 to 13 months timeframes. Unless we are in a 1999 to 2002 time period, most drops of similar magnitude have been followed by 9X to 11X stock price appreciations over next 3 years.
this is a very crude back of envelope working hypothesis but i am struck by fact that we have 3 very symmetric drawdowns over 13 months in current downturn which started in november 2021. last 4 months down for tesla and amazon only. pretty unusual to get 4 months down months in a row.
this is very big picture on monthly and weekly charts and not intended as any prognostication. In any case it has zero to little effect on short term market trends but more psychological benefit of serving as light at end of tunnel. Of course, if this bear run happens to be an exception and we end up in a 2014 through 2019 timeframe then we probably wouldn’t know it until after the fact (like everything else in markets) but even in that time frame , we had significant rallies and great trading opportunities. I understand the futures are down and China Covid deal is looking bad, but I have a really hard time understanding how we will keep on going down and down in face of Tesla‘s extremely strong fundamentals and the fact we have had a textbook 60% downturn over 13 months
i assume i will be constantly wrong but will continue to refine my research
very interesting stuff especially for those of us who believe Tesla stock in short term is extremely manipulated. So, why so much symmetry. I don’t know but historical perspective seems to be a fairly decent way to place long term bets
At the risk of making this post long, if I look at all this from psychiatric standpoint, then you have external Bipolar like psychopathology in face of strong fundamentals. That combination is unlikely to persist forever. Either you have a very sick patient with multiple relapses or here in case of Tesla a very strong growth story with Bipolar traders who appear to make it look worse than it actually may be. There is a certain degree of utility in applying psychiatric principles to stock market, because traders behave in a very bipolar fashion which can be used to one’s advantage provided you can successfully monitor and control your own emotional responses. So from a practical standpoint, those of us who are holding onto Tesla long term with or without trading are not really fazed because it is a matter of time before the stock recovers but still it’s not fun to be in the very last part of a severe 13 month melancholic depressive episode with only temporary relief. Like all mood disorders, this is bound to end, because bipolar traders cannot help, but become eventually manic with very little reason
This is all Sunday night armchair speculation, tbh

Last edited:
serious question: is the topic of China off limits or something? What’s going on over their seems like by and large the most important thing to tesla for the rest of the year.

I personally think no matter what happens with China tesla will ultimately be fine. But between now and when Austin and Berlin fully ramp I think it’s reasonable to assume things could look choppy.

It is a corruption of the political process. Can you imagine that they have forced this into heavy equipment? In 2 years there will be a low boiling revolt against the EPA all over this stupid issue.
i rather see this as a nice force function to replace all such trucks with EV and any EPA woe will be forgotten as that will be so much more effective than both diesel with and without this high maintenance item. Hopefully we can ramp up to satisfy that demand within two years.

May it be the final nail to diesel trucks coffin.

Last edited:
Had that one in my 2018 model 3. Mobile service installed a part under the front seat in about 2 minutes, saying it was an electronic "filter" to help stop spurious signal input.
By contrast the sensor went out on the passenger seat in my 2012 Leaf and the only fix is to buy a new seat (complete package includes all the airbags, sensors, and such, can't get just the sensor separate from the rails, cushions, etc). Several thousand dollars for the "new seat as a package". Can't buy a used seat from a wreck because the modules are paired to the car and only a dealer can get the car to accept a different seat.

In the mean time the air bags are disabled on that side of the car (or maybe the whole car, no one is sure).

Last edited:

Even though I certainly hope this is an effort to improve customer experience, but how can we be sure if the available Model 3s are not due to soft demands (Please don’t shoot me)? 🙁

Even though I certainly hope this is an effort to improve customer experience, but how can we be sure if the available Model 3s are not due to soft demands (Please don’t shoot me)? 🙁
I was promised a P100DL loaner a few years back. Still haven’t had one as a loaner.

Closest thing was a MX P90D locked in speed limit mode.

This sounds like the basis for GJs next accusation of how Tesla is cooking their books….you heard it here first ;)

I was promised a P100DL loaner a few years back. Still haven’t had one as a loaner.

My service center is still using several 2013-2014 Model S trade-ins as loaners, and the guys from mobile service are also using oldies. These loaners do not give the best impression of Tesla (Gen 1 cars did have their issues) so new cars as loaners would be very welcome to improve the customer experience.

Not an official Tesla account but proven to be accurate in the past. Early October they had some news leaked from a works council at Giga Berlin:

So according to this Berlin 4680 production should be going live in Q1.

There were some rumours about delays, hopefully proven to be incorrect:

They were right about the new paint colours, gives some credence to the rest

My service center is still using several 2013-2014 Model S trade-ins as loaners, and the guys from mobile service are also using oldies. These loaners do not give the best impression of Tesla (Gen 1 cars did have their issues) so new cars as loaners would be very welcome to improve the customer experience.
On one hand, I would like Service to have good loaners so it can double as longer term test drives, personal experience of driving a Y with broken front speakers certainly left bad impressions for the wife.

On the other hand, people who drive loaners are already on board and don’t need test drives to convince them. Unless the loaner is a plaid or something fancy to convince them to upgrade, but doing that would require unnecessary investments, not worth it I say.

i rather see this as a nice force function to replace all such trucks with EV and any EPA woe will be forgotten as that will be so much more effective than both diesel with and without this high maintenance item. Hopefully we can ramp up to satisfy that demand within two years.

May it be the final nail to diesel trucks coffin.
Fine if you could buy an ev 200hp farm tractor that can plow a bottom, or mow and bale. Or a skid steer, or a fri t end loader. Or a pickup that can tow a job site trailer 120 miles each way so the poor guy that wakes at 4 to be at work at 7 can work. It was a corruption meant to wring more money from blue collar workers and it doesn’t work. Mileage is less, repairs are high, makes people hate the epa.

FWIW that limit mode can be cleared OTA by calling Tesla. Back in the dark ages I had a P85D loaner so set. It was corrected in moments. Many Tesla-inventory units are set that way to prevent abuse by drivers.

That has kind of happened with us now that we are retired. We put about 18000 ish kilometres on our 2022 model Y in 8 months. A staggering 15200 kilometres were pulling our trailer. Not a rattle, not a glitch. But probably 2/3 of that was supercharging or DC fast charging at BC hydro or FLO locations across the country. The rest was campgrounds and home. Never thought we would do that much DC fast charging. And many times in campgrounds we charged to 100 percent. After 18000 kilometres it has lost 6 kilometres of range. Drive it like you stole it and it will treat you good.

View attachment 878849
Nice rig! Could you please provide a rough estimate % increase of energy usage when towing the camper?