Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said <2kwh/mile which I’m sure means 2kwh/mi (I think that was the consensus really good number being thrown around). I’ve never seen a high speed charger that cheap (13c/kWh).
They'll pretty much be doing all of the charging at cost to start with. The national average for industrial electricity supply is about $.095/KWh. The variance across regions is quite large though.

The last four days for Musk must be a whirlwind. He met with EU regulators regarding Twitter, then met with Tim Cook at Apple, then the Neuralink event, and today's Semi event. That is three different companies for one CEO.

What is your CEO doing?
Sitting on the throne tweeting...oh wait...that's OUR CEO :)

Plus how many they've made, how many they're currently making, and when the order button will come back on the website.
They should be included in Q4 Production and Deliveries.

Tesla probably has a big order backlog to work through, and existing customers may be able to jump the order queue.

We might be waiting a while for that order button.

The main things I wanted to hear from the Semi presentation but didn't are:
  • Current production capacity and ramp rate for Sparks? (I believe Robin Denholm mentioned something like 100 semis this year during the recent trial testimony but haven't heard much else). Tesla Chair Robyn Denholm says Tesla could produce 100 Semi trucks this year.
  • Long term production facility, eg Austin gigafactory or is Sparks going to be sufficient for the initial ramp? This one's been puzzling me as we haven't seen permits or construction at Austin for anything that could be a dedicated Semi production facility. To get 50,000 next year a new facility would have to be already nearing completion, assuming Sparks isn't it.
  • Autopilot functionality for the Semi. I noticed on the driving video segments that autopilot didn't seem to be engaged. We've seen photos of the Semi autopilot cameras so will autopilot be available on the Semis that Pepsi are getting and if not when will it be enabled? Platooning and FSD Beta etc I would expect to be a bit further down the track for the Semi.
Hopefully we get some more information soon or intel from people who attended.

They should be included in Q4 Production and Deliveries.

Tesla probably has a big order backlog to work through, and existing customers may be able to jump the order queue.

We might be waiting a while for that order button.
But but but but, I don't want to wait that long damn it! Zanegler on Twitter says they're building 3 a day right now, was wondering how many they actually delivered to PepsiCo... can't wait to see one of those puppies on the road! They'll be so many people gawking it may cause a few accidents!

The main things I wanted to hear from the Semi presentation but didn't are:
  • Current production capacity and ramp rate for Sparks? (I believe Robin Denholm mentioned something like 100 semis this year during the recent trial testimony but haven't heard much else). Tesla Chair Robyn Denholm says Tesla could produce 100 Semi trucks this year.
  • Long term production facility, eg Austin gigafactory or is Sparks going to be sufficient for the initial ramp? This one's been puzzling me as we haven't seen permits or construction at Austin for anything that could be a dedicated Semi production facility. To get 50,000 next year a new facility would have to be already nearing completion, assuming Sparks isn't it.
  • Autopilot functionality for the Semi. I noticed on the driving video segments that autopilot didn't seem to be engaged. We've seen photos of the Semi autopilot cameras so will autopilot be available on the Semis that Pepsi are getting and if not when will it be enabled? Platooning and FSD Beta etc I would expect to be a bit further down the track for the Semi.
Hopefully we get some more information soon or intel from people who attended.
They also didn’t reiterate the $0.07 / kWh rate for Megacharging, nor the charging speed from the reveal ( 0.5 hrs to 80%). That would take close to 1.6 MW if consumption is close to 2 kWh / mile, and they only referenced 1 MW for V4.

Quoted for posterity. :D

“If Tesla really delivers on this promise, we’ll obviously buy two trucks — one to take apart and one to test because if that happens, something has passed us by. But for now, the same laws of physics apply in Germany and in California.”

-Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler Truck AG Martin Daum