Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
This is really bad. They are trying to sell trucks but won't divulge how much weight they can carry.

Elon dunked on Gates but Gates may have been partly right. If I was Gates, I'd be on Twitter saying "I want my drive ... and I'll be stopping at a scale on the way."

Listen to what they don't say ... not what they do say.

I hope I'm wrong.
It's not much, that is clear. The truck is obviously heavy. They get a 2k lb boost due to ev but the key point here is that these local semi loads are almost all light. Only a fraction of the loads go out over 20 tons, most are 10 tons or less. Snack foods just don't weigh much.

Raw potatoes, milk, fuel tankers (oh the irony), all can hit max weight (unprocessed bulk goods). The real king of overweight tickets is my own industry- forestry. We can drop 120k lbs in a standard log trailer if we aren't going to get penalized (about a 10k ticket). During the pandemic weight limits were waived and we sent simply massive loads out, heavy diesels just groaning. Can't wait for a Tesla Semi.

Video cued to where they talk about the automatic clutches for the 2nd and 3rd Plaid motors for acceleration or grade duties. Previous to that time in the video they show the rigorous reliability testing. But yea, the auto clutches is pretty awesome.

As I understand it, the semi drive train adapts to varying conditions and, essentially, this means that while loaded they can...

fc,550x550,black.u1.jpg

Yeah, had to work hard to pull that one off.

Maybe he could be the Semi-mascot?

But but but but, I don't want to wait that long damn it! Zanegler on Twitter says they're building 3 a day right now, was wondering how many they actually delivered to PepsiCo... can't wait to see one of those puppies on the road! They'll be so many people gawking it may cause a few accidents!
The fact that they were offering tours of the line, means that there is something worth seeing.

54,000 per year - approximately 1,000 per week, 7 days 2 x 8 hour shifts = about 9 per hour.

54,000 per year approximately equals Sparks 2170 production.

Given the timing of the event, and the fact that a line tour was included, I doubt that the line has been running long.

If they are only doing 3 per day, then some stations on the line are not currently operational.

The only thing that would count against Sparks is workforce issues, otherwise the batteries and motors are made onsite, it is a good place to build the Semi,

100 by the end of the year is only 3 per day, there may be some hold up on parts/staff otherwise it is just a matter of ramping the line,.

This is really bad. They are trying to sell trucks but won't divulge how much weight they can carry.

Elon dunked on Gates but Gates may have been partly right. If I was Gates, I'd be on Twitter saying "I want my drive ... and I'll be stopping at a scale on the way."

Listen to what they don't say ... not what they do say.

I hope I'm wrong.
Based on the concrete slabs that Elon was claiming the truck is at 82000lb, the Semi is approx the same weight as a diesel 0/+5% or so.

The fact that they were offering tours of the line, means that there is something worth seeing.

54,000 per year - approximately 1,000 per week, 7 days 2 x 8 hour shifts = about 9 per hour.

54,000 per year approximately equals Sparks 2170 production.

Given the timing of the event, and the fact that a line tour was included, I doubt that the line has been running long.

If they are only doing 3 per day, then some stations on the line are not currently operational.

The only thing that would count against Sparks is workforce issues, otherwise the batteries and motors are made onsite, it is a good place to build the Semi,

100 by the end of the year is only 3 per day, there may be some hold up on parts/staff otherwise it is just a matter of ramping the line,.
Good points! I've tweeted back to Zanegler, who was at the presentation to ask him if he toured the production line, so if and when I hear back from him, I'll post it here.

Is the fact that the cybertruck going to charge 3x the rate of v3 chargers now not a huge nod to the 4680s being way more badass than they’ve officially revealed

We don’t know it’s charging at 3X the rate. Higher power obviously for a bigger battery but the C-rate does not look that different. We just know the voltage is higher. They need the higher voltage to limit the amperage when charging a 1MW battery.