Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a much simpler clutch. The Taycan is actually shifting gears. With the semi it’s either engaged or not. It might be a maintenance issue, hard for me to say.
The clutch looks more like a pair of gears engaging. Synchronization clould be done easily by accelerating the drive to same speed to pair them smoothly. I'm sure they know the position of each gear down to the degree and can do the job without any damage.
1669977421514.png

Last edited:
How many trucks did PepsiCO get …2?…. The executives got 2 cards?
Does not seem like we’ll do 100 by end of year?
Yeah. Should have handed each guy a stack of keycards and let them play Match The Keycard to the right truck in the parking lot.

You concluded there must be only two trucks because two executives showed for the event and got one keycard each? Come on.

With Tesla bringing a new megawatt charger to the consumer market (with Cybertruck and future products/refreshes), will this be a way for Tesla to challenge the CCS standard? CCS maxes out at 350kW and as far as I’m aware has no real pathway to get to this level. How could you keep on mandating an inferior plug standard if a new one could significantly reduce charging times?

Doing some Googling I found the Megawatt Charging System (MCS) which is currently being designed by a German company called CharIN. Maybe Tesla is trying to get a head start on the competition for this next global charging standard? Would love to hear some thoughts.
Keep in mind that Tesla is a member of CharIN. Most major public utilities, electrical equipment manufacturers, and BEV manufacturers are members. This makes every CharIN standard (they issue standards, do not make anything at all). As a result they end out with modified standards in different areas. CCS is typical, with different NA and EU cores, for example.

There are long exhaustive and arcane discussions on TMC and elsewhere.
FWIW, no matter the obvious merits adopting NCAS will not happen.

Not saying it isn't - BUT - we bashed the Taycan for having clutches&gears as a raliability burdon - now on a semi that does much more milage it begs the question of reliability for me. It should be possible to have induction motors that can free-spin without current so no clutch needed - I smell a tradeoff here, not saying that it is a showstopper, but a tradeoff never the less.

AC induction motors are less efficient (and less controllable) than the Plaid style PM on the semi. Even if the rotors were free spinning, you would still have the drag due to gears and lubrication. Plus the parasitic losses of the thermal and lubrication subsystems.
Also provides a limp mode option (torque allowing) if either of the two boost motors fail.
Semi thread:
Tesla Semi

Good read

Summary:
Northwest Biotherapeutics (~$1bn market cap) filed a securities lawsuit alleging that market makers Canaccord Genuity LLC, Citadel Securities LLC, G1 Execution Services LLC, GTS Securities LLC, Instinet LLC, Lime Trading Corp., Susquehanna International Group LLP, Virtu Americas LLC, deliberately engaged in repeated manipulative spoofing of NWBO’s stock from December 5, 2017 – August 1, 2022, causing NWBO to issue more than 49 million shares at artificially depressed prices.

"Despite the string of encouraging news about its lead product, NWBO’s share price has not followed suit. Quite the opposite actually—and that is not by chance. Rather, because of Defendants’ spoofing, NWBO’s share price has dropped."

Spoofing is a form of market manipulation that, in this case, was accomplished by placing “Baiting Orders” in the Limit Order Book2 or Inter-Dealer Quotation System that are not intended to be executed and have no legitimate economic purpose. The purpose of these Baiting Orders is to create a false illusion of market interest that will generate a response from other market participants that the spoofers can use to their advantage. For example, if the goal of the spoofing scheme is to drive the price down, the spoofer enters Baiting Orders to sell, to create an appearance of a downward trending market, which will then bait other market participants into entering their own sell orders to minimize or avoid suffering losses. Shortly thereafter, the spoofer will place orders to buy, or “Executing Purchases,” which are intended to be executed against the other market participants’ sell orders at the lower artificial prices prompted by the false Baiting Orders to sell. Immediately after placing these Executing Purchases to buy, the spoofer then cancels all of the Baiting Orders to sell, which completes the profitable spoofing cycle.

Defendants engaged in spoofing on 395 of 1,171—or nearly 34%—of the trading days during the Relevant Period.

Relevance to TSLA:
Observers here have regularly pointed out spoofing of TSLA, and at least two of the market makers indicted have also been TSLA market makers. We're also of course painfully aware of long periods of declining/stagnating stock price despite an endless string of encouraging results. Perhaps Tesla or people on TMC could initiate a similar lawsuit.

I wonder what was the average slope of that route.
If you are referring to the 500 mile route, a listener to Rob Maurers Tesla Daily live stream worked out the overall elevation difference for route was about 13ft. So despite the ups and downs, no real advantage due to height difference.

For the uphill overtaking shot I believe they said it was a 6 degree gradient. Not sure on the overall average.

Good read

Summary:
Northwest Biotherapeutics (~$1bn market cap) filed a securities lawsuit alleging that market makers Canaccord Genuity LLC, Citadel Securities LLC, G1 Execution Services LLC, GTS Securities LLC, Instinet LLC, Lime Trading Corp., Susquehanna International Group LLP, Virtu Americas LLC, deliberately engaged in repeated manipulative spoofing of NWBO’s stock from December 5, 2017 – August 1, 2022, causing NWBO to issue more than 49 million shares at artificially depressed prices.

"Despite the string of encouraging news about its lead product, NWBO’s share price has not followed suit. Quite the opposite actually—and that is not by chance. Rather, because of Defendants’ spoofing, NWBO’s share price has dropped."

Spoofing is a form of market manipulation that, in this case, was accomplished by placing “Baiting Orders” in the Limit Order Book2 or Inter-Dealer Quotation System that are not intended to be executed and have no legitimate economic purpose. The purpose of these Baiting Orders is to create a false illusion of market interest that will generate a response from other market participants that the spoofers can use to their advantage. For example, if the goal of the spoofing scheme is to drive the price down, the spoofer enters Baiting Orders to sell, to create an appearance of a downward trending market, which will then bait other market participants into entering their own sell orders to minimize or avoid suffering losses. Shortly thereafter, the spoofer will place orders to buy, or “Executing Purchases,” which are intended to be executed against the other market participants’ sell orders at the lower artificial prices prompted by the false Baiting Orders to sell. Immediately after placing these Executing Purchases to buy, the spoofer then cancels all of the Baiting Orders to sell, which completes the profitable spoofing cycle.

Defendants engaged in spoofing on 395 of 1,171—or nearly 34%—of the trading days during the Relevant Period.

Relevance to TSLA:
Observers here have regularly pointed out spoofing of TSLA, and at least two of the market makers indicted have also been TSLA market makers. We're also of course painfully aware of long periods of declining/stagnating stock price despite an endless string of encouraging results. Perhaps Tesla or people on TMC could initiate a similar lawsuit.
The fact that hedge funds/MMs have access to order types such as "CANCEL IF TOUCHED" says everything. No one who has a bona fide intention to actually trade needs this order type.

No major attacks by Lora here. Refreshing.
But confusing Great Britain with all of continental Europe:).

"One major difference between Tesla’s Class 8 offering and other heavy-duty trucks is the location of the steering wheel and the driver’s seat. Rather than using the left side (or right side in Europe), Tesla designed the Semi with the steering wheel in the center of the cab with touchscreens positioned on both sides of the driver."

If you are referring to the 500 mile route, a listener to Rob Maurers Tesla Daily live stream worked out the overall elevation difference for route was about 13ft. So despite the ups and downs, no real advantage due to height difference.

For the uphill overtaking shot I believe they said it was a 6 degree gradient. Not sure on the overall average.
All things being equal (same up slope as down slope) it would be a net negative as you can't recapture all the energy used going up slope.

All things being equal (same up slope as down slope) it would be a net negative as you can't recapture all the energy used going up slope.
But not as negative as just using friction brakes and assuming all things are equal. As Unpilot says, it can depend on the up-grade vs the down-grade. And for round trips, it can depend on both ways loaded or one way empty (the earthmover example discussed a few days ago). So it really can be different than passenger cars which have only small differences in load.

Didn’t conclude anything… just asking the questions…

cheers!!
Hmm - yeah, adding a question mark to a statement doesn’t make it a question; it makes it the wrong punctuation.

Alas, I can’t recall the specifics from the rumors and speculation at this point (on pretty much anything going on on the planet nowadays), but I’d imagine there’s some sort of contract between Tesla and PepsiCo related to how many trucks by a certain date. The ‘guinea pig’ for the product isn’t going to want to play too loose or too fast; they’re still conventional at heart so a risk like the Semi has to have some parameters to make them a bit more comfortable from a business standpoint.

Given the delay of the Semi, for various reasons (battery supply, more important fish to fry at any given moment, Jerome’s departure and a host of things we don’t know about), I’d imagine we’re cutting deadlines close, but all I could find was that Pepsi ordered 100 originally and that they announced in October that they’d begin to receive them in December. I could not find any mention by Pepsi that all 100 would be delivered before year end.

Hmm - yeah, adding a question mark to a statement doesn’t make it a question; it makes it the wrong punctuation.

Alas, I can’t recall the specifics from the rumors and speculation at this point (on pretty much anything going on on the planet nowadays), but I’d imagine there’s some sort of contract between Tesla and PepsiCo related to how many trucks by a certain date. The ‘guinea pig’ for the product isn’t going to want to play too loose or too fast; they’re still conventional at heart so a risk like the Semi has to have some parameters to make them a bit more comfortable from a business standpoint.

Given the delay of the Semi, for various reasons (battery supply, more important fish to fry at any given moment, Jerome’s departure and a host of things we don’t know about), I’d imagine we’re cutting deadlines close, but all I could find was that Pepsi ordered 100 originally and that they announced in October that they’d begin to receive them in December. I could not find any mention by Pepsi that all 100 would be delivered before year end.

Wasn't the "100 by year end" a statement made by a board member in the Elon compensation trial?

(question mark included for questionable purposes)

100 was based on Robyn Delhoms disposition from a few week back ? , . ‘ ;) It was stated that that was like the aspiration? , !