Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really interested to see how this functions as a logging truck. The more advanced traction control of Semi could be a bit of a game changer. Given that logging trucks are often run on a mix of dirt and paved roads, often ice or snow covered, or muddy, the precise control of wheel slippage might be very helpful. A also wonder if powered steering wheels couldn't be added somewhat easily, given the simplicity of the drive motors vs a physical driveline. Would be really nice for the driver if that extra control and traction might mean that they could avoid chaining up quite so often, but perhaps that's too much to expect. Motors still don't defy physics.
You are spot on. Volvo has already trialed an EV semi in Sweeden and guess what it pulled- logs.

We have huge issues with modern automatic diesels being unable to apply appropriate torque to begin moving a fully laden trailer in difficult loading areas. So, we have to look for trucking companies that still use standard transmissions and real drivers that know how to shift. We will look to bring trucking in house by January 2025 and would love for it to be in a Tesla. That would be amazing.

It's bizarre hearing the media still questioning whether customers will buy the Semi and Cybertruck. They're both sold out for years..
Two products I am sure will sell out. The truck because it is a cool EV truck and there are so few options. The Semi because finally! finally someone is making a hard business case for EVs (ok the business case is simple, the numbers are cold hard truth). I really wonder what the price tag is on these.

As always with logging trucks, the weak points will be the tires. A casting would be a huge benefit because the other weak points are where frame members join together.
The trailer is really the key point. The trailer gets pounded as logs are loaded. The alternative is to drop the trailers, keeping a fully loaded trailer available for pickup. Takes more space, would save on wear and tear. In some ways we'll have to do it til it drops.

The Tesla Semi made its 500 mile drive with some losses due to hills (regen not 100% efficiency). I captured this by extrapolating the slope of energy draw used on the flattish Central Valley portion. I estimate 574 miles of range on a flat route and same speeds.

574 miles at ~1.72 kW/mile = 1000 kWh pack.

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 5.57.49 AM.png

Last edited:
The Tesla Semi made its 500 mile drive with some losses due to hills (regen not 100% efficiency). I captured this by extrapolating the slope of energy draw used on the flattish Central Valley portion. I estimate 574 miles of range on a flat route and same speeds.
Did you factor in that the original run started at 97% and ended at 4%?

My guess is you will only get the 500mile full-load range with the special trailer. It's easy to imagine that existing trailers are not optimized for aero and rolling resistance as the tesla one is. we'll find out
It sounds like they didn’t do anything special to achieve 500 miles.
Dan: No special aero treatments. Truck came off the line, shook it down, made it run.
Elon: There’s like no fast moves here. So to be clear it’s not like “Oh, what tricks did they pull?” There’s actually a whole bunch of tricks we could’ve pulled and didn’t. So you know like as Dan said no special aero treatment … It’s not like 500 miles like with no load, with special aero, and special everything…

It sounds like they didn’t do anything special to achieve 500 miles.
And herein lies the answer to the question: how were they planning to get a 500 mile rage cybertruck for the price that was initially quoted. And I'm guessing the Semi price is within range of initial offering price? Cost per mile is going to be so lucrative for companies both running their own shipping or shipping companies themselves.

Then it is time to follow Nikola's example and push it down on a hill, preferably mountain and a loooong downslope, so it can pick up a lot of energy by regen ;)

Perhaps one such opportunity could be found on...

Wolf Creek Pass
Way up on the Great Divide
Trucking on down
The other side

Um, yeah, I guess there is no denying that this is poetry.

Have to be honest although the Semi impresses a great deal. It is awesome. Last nights presentation was a yawner. I am glad I didnt actually watch it. Was the 1st unveiling or delivery event that I have missed since the Model S delivery event. I have watched every other presentation. I just didnt want to see Elon speak, he has so turned me off. Still I was hoping for more. I would have loved to hear how many were delivered to Pepsi. I kinda get the feeling it was just 1 Semi. I mean if I was Pepsi I wouldnt want to take delivery of them until after January 1st when IRA starts and the Semi gets a $40K tax credit for Pepsi.
I would also like to see a Semicharger or 2 get installed at Gigatexas and they start using Tesla Semi's to take cars from factory to the train yard they are using to ship cars out. Want to see that this launch really did happen and isnt just publicity. Cant take Elon's word for things any longer.