Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so on "demand" issues

Tesla launched the lowest price standard range Model Y in late 2020 for about $40,000 with the long range being launched earlier in 2020 at around $47,000. For reference that's about the price of a BMW X3, but substantially more than a Toyota Rav3 (~$27,000 to $35,000).

Currently the long range Model Y starts at ~$66,000 and is the best selling vehicle in a long list of places.

I'm pretty sure Tesla could easily unlock a lot more demand by releasing a $50,000 standard range Y.

Or for that matter a refreshed Model 3 starting around $45,000

This is ugly. Hope they haven’t realized to much of that FSD money yet. I wonder how big the bill will be if they have to return all the FSD money.

Note that the exact quote from the filing is "mere failure to realize a long-term, aspirational goal is not fraud.", without any context. Nobody showed the full filing, so based on available information LA Times' claim that "Tesla said its FSD is a failure" is pure FUD.

I think he was insinuating that overleveraged investors are partly responsible for the poor performance this year.
I don't see it, as with everything Elon said, it's best to assume he speaks his mind straight, instead of assuming he's insinuating anything. A straight read of the tweet would be he's warning investors not to use margin, even for TSLA, since macro could make stock price decouple from company's real long term potential. If you want to draw conclusions, then the correct conclusion is: a. Elon thinks macro is responsible for the poor performance of TSLA (basically the same conclusion as the @p_ferragu's first tweet in the thread); b. He thinks current TSLA stock price is decoupled from Tesla's long term potential.

I don't see it, as with everything Elon said, it's best to assume he speaks his mind straight, instead of assuming he's insinuating anything. A straight read of the tweet would be he's warning investors not to use margin, even for TSLA, since macro could make stock price decouple from company's real long term potential. If you want to draw conclusions, then the correct conclusion is: a. Elon thinks macro is responsible for the poor performance of TSLA (basically the same conclusion as the @p_ferragu's first tweet in the thread); b. He thinks current TSLA stock price is decoupled from Tesla's long term potential.
Yeah, I didn't click on the tweeter link. After reading the entire chain from Pierre, I'd say you're right.

Reactions: Queeg500
Reuters is reporting that Tom Zhu is being brought in to manage Giga Texas. Sounds good to me!

Reuters is reporting that Tom Zhu is being brought in to manage Giga Texas. Sounds good to me!

The articles vary from him and his engineering team are coming to run Giga Austin to Hzu being appointed head of everything automotive at Tesla to Hzu replacing Elon as CEO.

I refuse to click on that link, but let me guess. Russ Mitchell?

Speaking of Russ Mitchell, my life is devastated that I just found out I've been blocked by him.

russ.JPG

No. I’m sorry. But this is called justification after the fact. I invested in a company headed up by Elon Musk.
Elon built these companies form the ground-up, maybe his ethos is in the DNA and they all act the way he would most of the time

I see Elon having evolved from being the manager to the leader, he's not needed in the daily nitty-gritty, but he's there to provide the inspiration and vision

And don't forget a sign of the very best managers is that nobody notices when they're on vacation, the machine continues running smoothly

so on "demand" issues

Tesla launched the lowest price standard range Model Y in late 2020 for about $40,000 with the long range being launched earlier in 2020 at around $47,000. For reference that's about the price of a BMW X3, but substantially more than a Toyota Rav3 (~$27,000 to $35,000).

Currently the long range Model Y starts at ~$66,000 and is the best selling vehicle in a long list of places.

I'm pretty sure Tesla could easily unlock a lot more demand by releasing a $50,000 standard range Y.

Or for that matter a refreshed Model 3 starting around $45,000
Release a couple of new paint colours, charge extra money for them, orders would sky-rocket, we have seen this already...

Elon built these companies form the ground-up, maybe his ethos is in the DNA and they all act the way he would most of the time

I see Elon having evolved from being the manager to the leader, he's not needed in the daily nitty-gritty, but he's there to provide the inspiration and vision

And don't forget a sign of the very best managers is that nobody notices when they're on vacation, the machine continues running smoothly
1) Elon creates a culture where engineering and physics decides a lot of the investments and operational decision. Employees who don’t get insta fired for violating that within a year have that in dna.

2) Elon creates culture where everyone works nights and weekends when needed without qualm.

3) Elon oversees critical projects himself and because he’s super smart he can ask difficult technical questions and sift through bs. And has the personality to once again….insta fire people on the spot.

4) Elon creates culture where he says “let’s do this” and everyone follows. That’s not very time consuming it requires Elon having a big stick and wielding it freely.

5) over many years the survivor employees are all this way and it works. Check bridge water hedgefund for other weird cultures (they voice record all meetings to show extreme truthfulness.)

I don’t get how hard this is to understand. Pretty clear to me. Twitter is not there yet, but it will be.

New report claiming Tesla is planning to shutdown Model Y production in China for the last week of the quarter:

New report claiming Tesla is planning to shutdown Model Y production in China for the last week of the quarter:

Reuters' "with knowledge of the matter" cannot hope to compete with Reuters' "familiar with the matter". The former scoring 72.100 results versus a devastating 2.900.000 results for the all time winner; sources/people/plants familiar with the matter. Interestingly enough, macro being what it is, it remains to be seen whether Reuters will keep its news output for the coming days quite as high as in the previous 20 minutes, people with knowledge of the familiar matter said.

With no one to stop them they’re growing brass balls;)