Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tomorrow could be another fine example of the farce the stock market really is. Even if PPI comes down substantially, if it’s just 0.1% stronger than analists predict we’ll fall off a clif again. Inflation doesn’t matter, the only thing that matters is the ability of analists to throw a dart in the bullseye wearing a blindfold.

Sokath.

ohwu9lozf7201.jpg

New report claiming Tesla is planning to shutdown Model Y production in China for the last week of the quarter:

New report claiming Tesla is planning to shutdown Model Y production in China for the last week of the quarter:

Anyone want to bet the memo mentioned the new year and Reuters took it to be the calendar year and not the Chinese New Year (Tesla usually has a partial shutdown of a few days around then).

As the accountant of the medicolegal business I work as a consultant told me just before I left the office today: « Time to buy TSLA, seriously, put everything you have done today in TSLA »

I answered: « If only you paid me faster »

I think I saw a delivery in th latest timelapse video as well, so they might have been doing low rate deliveries for some days.

At 13:00
Okay, but aren’t all the auto companies preparing for a Q4 delivery push?

Sorry, but seeing TSLA at these prices is really starting to get me down.

• Funny
Reactions: elasalle
Okay, but aren’t all the auto companies preparing for a Q4 delivery push?

Sorry, but seeing TSLA at these prices is really starting to get me down.
If I'm not mistaken most car factories in Europe during Christmas period goes to 1 or 2 week vaction mode, I worked at supplier we had 1-2 weeks maintenance period. Same in the beginning of August, not sure how it is now, that was before covid.

1) Elon creates a culture where engineering and physics decides a lot of the investments and operational decision. Employees who don’t get insta fired for violating that within a year have that in dna.

2) Elon creates culture where everyone works nights and weekends when needed without qualm.

3) Elon oversees critical projects himself and because he’s super smart he can ask difficult technical questions and sift through bs. And has the personality to once again….insta fire people on the spot.

4) Elon creates culture where he says “let’s do this” and everyone follows. That’s not very time consuming it requires Elon having a big stick and wielding it freely.

5) over many years the survivor employees are all this way and it works. Check bridge water hedgefund for other weird cultures (they voice record all meetings to show extreme truthfulness.)

I don’t get how hard this is to understand. Pretty clear to me. Twitter is not there yet, but it will be.

While I agree with all of this, I have a slightly different take on what might be happening. My belief is Elon is taking time away from Tesla at a strategic time before FSD is truly able to morph a car into a Robotaxi.

We continue to hear reports of how Tesla is ramping up compute 10X to where they are today. Tesla also plans to gather data at a much accelerated rate in order to feed their neural net training. This all points to a large goal a few years down the road to a true driving AI that is capable of running a robo taxi.

At that point, the AI will have a much expanded engineering and market horizon, including the Tesla bot. Musk will come back to Tesla at that time to lead the transition. Tesla is building the most advanced real world AI. That is something new and cannot be put on auto pilot.

While I agree with all of this, I have a slightly different take on what might be happening. My belief is Elon is taking time away from Tesla at a strategic time before FSD is truly able to morph a car into a Robotaxi.

We continue to hear reports of how Tesla is ramping up compute 10X to where they are today. Tesla also plans to gather data at a much accelerated rate in order to feed their neural net training. This all points to a large goal a few years down the road to a true driving AI that is capable of running a robo taxi.

At that point, the AI will have a much expanded engineering and market horizon, including the Tesla bot. Musk will come back to Tesla at that time to lead the transition. Tesla is building the most advanced real world AI. That is something new and cannot be put on auto pilot.

I disagree that Elon is taking time away from Tesla.

It is just that his Tesla time (and that on SpaceX as well) is spent on things that are not yet visible. For Tesla we know that there are new products in the design phase and the factories to build them and new technology to create - that is where he is spending his time. This won't be visible to us until product reveals, he probably spends little time on the things visible to outsiders, the production and delivery of cars and power products, expansion of supercharger and service centers, etc.

For SpaceX it is Starship and Starlink v2, both of which are in critical phases of development.

I disagree that Elon is taking time away from Tesla.

It is just that his Tesla time (and that on SpaceX as well) is spent on things that are not yet visible. For Tesla we know that there are new products in the design phase and the factories to build them and new technology to create - that is where he is spending his time. This won't be visible to us until product reveals, he probably spends little time on the things visible to outsiders, the production and delivery of cars and power products, expansion of supercharger and service centers, etc.

For SpaceX it is Starship and Starlink v2, both of which are in critical phases of development.
By time away, I don’t mean full time obviously. Just some time away. Even Elon said he would not be the ceo of Twitter for the long term. Twitter is taking his available time though. No doubt.

Reactions: GeoX750
By time away, I don’t mean full time obviously. Just some time away. Even Elon said he would not be the ceo of Twitter for the long term. Twitter is taking his available time though. No doubt.
No, not all his available time. There's no real evidence to say that Elon isn't still overseeing what he previously has at Tesla and SpaceX. He has stated in interviews that he currently just sleeps and works. It would suggest that what would normally have been his personal time is now being devoted to Twitter.

This is ugly. Hope they haven’t realized to much of that FSD money yet. I wonder how big the bill will be if they have to return all the FSD money.

They won't have to return all, or even most, of the FSD money, regardless of outcome here.

As discussed repeatedly here and elsewhere, there's been 2 different things Tesla has sold as "FSD"

Pre March 2019 they sold what would be at minimum L4 capabilities, arguably L5.

But they only (depending when you bought) charged 3-5k for it, and at this point the majority of buyers would be after this was no longer being sold.

After March 2019 they sold what was explicitly never promised to be more than an L2 product during the sale (auto driving on city streets- which already exists as an L2 product in FSDb)-- and it was sold for a much higher price (currently 15k) and sold to more people as even with a lower take rate for the higher price there were simply far more people buying Teslas since then.

The language change again as oft discussed seems pretty obviously intended to address exactly these sorts of future legal concerns.

The post march-2019 folks, once they've got city streets at L2, are made whole and "owed" nothing further legally. They might well GET more if Tesla can offer >L2 on their vehicles, but legally Tesla wouldn't owe it to them.

The pre-3/19 buyers are still owed something... which is why I don't expect Tesla to recognize ALL deferred FSD revenue, only the post-3/19 stuff, with city streets goes to legit wide release in any given geo. But it's a relatively small amount at this point. And FWIW some owners have already gotten refunds on this via small claims (check out the FSD forum for some discussion of that fact-- though I'm unclear how Tesla handles those refunds accounting-wise).